It's the end of the world...... as we know it

Anyone recommend any end of the world type novels or doomsday scenario books - Have read The Stand, Cell etc. Just finished The First Horseman and about to start on either One by Conrad Williams or Patient Zero by Jonathan Maberry. Any thoughts/recommendations please?

Hi LL13,

How are you? :D

Here are some recommendations ~

The Road by Cormac McCarthy

The Death of Grass by John Christopher

A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller, Jr

:P

I can personally recommend:

The War of the Worlds, by H.G. Wells and

The Day of the Triffids and The Kraken Wakes, both by John Wyndham

And although I didn't get on with it (it was a bit too bleak for my liking), The Drowned World, by J.G. Ballard is quite highly regarded by some.

If you like short stories, John Joseph Adams has edited a collection called Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse. Contributors include Stephen King, Gene Wolfe, Orson Scott Card, Jonathan Lethem, Elizabeth Bear...

ETA: if Stephen King's contribution ('The End of the Whole Mess' from his collection Nightmares and Dreamscapes) is any indication of standard, this should be pretty amazing.

Edited by BookJumper

'The Children of Men' by P D James

I second that! I read this a couple of years ago and loved it, I think it's such an interesting idea for a novel.

I like a good post-apocalyptic novel myself so I may be adding a few of these suggestions to my wishlist :D

If you like short stories, John Joseph Adams has edited a collection called Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse. Contributors include Stephen King, Gene Wolfe, Orson Scott Card, Jonathan Lethem, Elizabeth Bear...

ETA: if Stephen King's contribution ('The End of the Whole Mess' from his collection Nightmares and Dreamscapes) is any indication of standard, this should be pretty amazing.

Terrific suggestions here. I have most on my TBR pile and have read several others mentioned.

Giulia, this collection sounds really interesting. I may have to look into it further. Thanks!

I'll absolutely second the brilliant A Canticle for Leibowitz and The Road, although very different books.

Cloud Atlas is an interesting suggestion, but as only a small section is actually post-apocalyptic, it may not do the job.

I'd throw in to the mix the early JG Ballard's, The Drought, The Drowned World, The Crystal World, Hello America and (if you can find a copy) The Wind From Nowhere.

Hope it's not too late to mention 'The Pesthouse' by the marvellous Jim Crace.....very 'Road-ish' and just as good....

''A devastated America exists in an imagined future. Its technologies are forgotten, its communities have splintered and its refugees, reversing the course of history, travel eastwards in search of safety and a new start. Among them are Franklin and Margaret, young, bereft, forced together by circumstance; but finding that love, courage and determination can endure even as a country breaks slowly apart. '' (synopsis from Amazon)