Spaced

chesilbeach

I'm terribly dim, I know, so can I be excused for being completely unable to understand why they just don't release the British versions of British comedy in the States? I thought Americans liked us Limey's? :)

I don't think they understand the accents!

Oh. Ummm. Really? I have to admit to struggling with understanding George W most of the time, but generally have no problem with any other accents the States have to offer...:)

At least it wasn't butchered as much as Red Dwarf

Personally I'd say that have, because they stripped all the subtlety out of the performances.

I'm terribly dim, I know, so can I be excused for being completely unable to understand why they just don't release the British versions of British comedy in the States? I thought Americans liked us Limey's?
I don't think they understand the accents!

That is part of it, but another aspect is that there are only 14 episodes of Spaced and that is only half a season in the US. Ideally, US companies are looking for an idea that will run for a few seasons of about 20-24 episodes.

Which would explain why the dreadful US version of Coupling had exactly the same script, just different actors... :)!

Oh dear, did they not change it at all?!

• 4 weeks later...

“Can I borrow your video recorder?”

“What you going to do? Stick it to a canvas as a piece depicting a nation of cathode junkies, selling their imaginations for quick-fix media hits from the Blockbuster syringe?”

“No, I want to tape Ready Steady Cook.”

I love Spaced. Far too may excellent bits to mention.

• 9 months later...

Just to let anyone know, who might be inetersted, More 4 will be showing series one of Spaced from 11.40pm this coming Sunday (6th Feb), but before that, Dave will start a repeat of series two on Friday (4th Feb) at 11.30pm.

Nice! I love this series shame its on so late though :(

• 3 years later...

I am 6 years late with noticing this thread! Clare the scene I like best is when Daisy is trying to buckle down and do some writing and it seems like she has been wracking her brain for hours concentrating then we see the clock and it's only been five minutes....I laughed so hard at that bit.