What's Your Book Activity Today? - Take 7

Janet

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad to hear good things about this book - I read her book of short stories A Thousand Years of Good Prayers and thought it was excellent, and I'll probably put The Vagrants on my wishlist for Christmas.

Will swap and add the one you have just read to my wish list as well !

I've been super busy for weeks so haven't had a great deal of time to myself but I've been slowly reading The Queen's Fool by Philippa Gregory during bus trips! It was great and really hard to put down at the end of each journey! :D

I'll be buying The Virgin's Lover which is the next book chronologically and centres around the court of the newly crowned Queen Elizabeth.

How did you find 1984, Dimitra? I hope you liked it :D.

Have you read your ARC of Swan Thieves yet, Katrina? I seem to remember you getting that recently.

I'm up to page 233 of Bitten, and have just about a hundred pages left. It's so action packed! Armstrong really knows how to write conflict and eventful happenings, unlike some other authors :D.

Anyway, I'm really hoping to finish it today so I can lend it to my friend when I see her tonight. It's still morning here so wish me luck!

Had a bit of a "meh" book day yesterday. Having just come back from a week home, I had quite a bit of post to look forward to; eagerly, I unwrapped the following:

Jasper Fforde, First Among Sequels, The Fourth Bear and The Big Over Easy (a bit bruised but signed and dedicated by Jasper, who got my name wrong on all three :D when he's out promoting Shades of Grey in January he'll be inserting a few missing "I"s or else...)

Dean Koontz's Frankenstein, Book One: Prodigal Son (not only in bad condition, but an unadvertised ex-BookCrossing book with unremovable stickers. I left the BookMooch giver +0 feedback instead of -1 in an attempt to acknowledge the bookmark enclosed, and I got branded as "ungrateful")

Peter Dickinson, The Tears of the Salamander (a bit bruised)

Karen Russell, St. Lucy's Home for Girls Raised by Wolves (a bit bruised also)

... meh.

Have you read any of the Nursery Crime series yet, BookJumper? I've only read The Big Over Easy and loved it! I have The Fourth Bear here so I need to read that soon. Hmmm...Have we had this discussion before? I feel a bit of deja vu coming on :D :D

oh snap I just finished this too. I'd be interested to hear what you thought of it.

I'm starting on the second in the series today Six Scared Stones. I need to get this read and the last ( The Five Greatest Worriors) before Friday when I get to hear the author speak about them YAY!:D

How cool that you will hear the author speak about this book. I hope you'll enjoy it.

I do have some mixed feelings about this book. I really had to get used to Matthew Reilly's writing style. I did read the book in the Dutch translation though, so that may have influenced it somewhat. At some times I got annoyed by the fast pace of this book. A room filled with deadly traps was crossed in seconds, but it did keep me interested though and overall it was a good read.

Have you read any of the Nursery Crime series yet, BookJumper? I've only read The Big Over Easy and loved it! I have The Fourth Bear here so I need to read that soon. Hmmm...Have we had this discussion before? I feel a bit of deja vu coming on
Possibly, possibly :D for the record, I'm halfway through The Well of Lost Plots in the Thursday Next series and have as of yet read neither of the Nursery Crimes; ideally, I'll have finished the remaining four and a half Jasper books by the time Shades of Grey comes out (yeah, as if :D...)!

I was in town today so I popped into Fopp and bought Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood, and Stardust by Neil Gaiman. I'm vey proud that I managed to get out with only 2 books! (neither of which were on my wishlist unfortunately!)

As far as actual reading goes, I've not been doing too great lately. I've not had much free time, and when I do get free time I just can't be bothered. It's terrible because the book I'm reading (Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman) is fantastic!

The seventh son of the seventh son, aptly named Septimus Heap, is stolen the night he is born by a midwife who pronounces him dead. That same night, the baby's father, Silas Heap, comes across a bundle in the snow containing a newborn girl with violet eyes. The Heaps take this helpless newborn into their home, name her Jenna, and raise her as their own. But who is this mysterious baby girl, and what really happened to their beloved son Septimus?

I would say from about 10 years, for a good reader. They are imaginative and promote good values of loyalty, trust, hard work, laughter etc., which sounds a lot more pious than I mean it to! The prices for the books are pretty good too. :D

I finished 1984

How did you find 1984, Dimitra? I hope you liked it :D

I ditto Peacefield. :D

I got a bit of reading done on the train today. My partner has borrowed The Count of Monte Cristo from me (I never usually lend books, but I have to make an exception for him!) We went into Sydney and ended up walking around in the pouring rain for a while. Now the book is waterlogged and he feels bad, but I don't mind because it was only a cheap edition.

I found an interesting bookshop but didn't buy anything.

Probably my most favorite book of all time, Kylie, Count of Monte Cristo :D. Good choice for reading! Has he read it before?

I finished Bitten today! It was excellent and I'm so glad I read it. I stopped in Border's this afternoon and wouldn't you know they didn't have Broken?! Probably better for my wallet, but still. I'm thinking of running out to 1/2 Price Books tomorrow to see if they have it.

I went over to my friend's tonight and her mom is in town and lent me Acceptible Risk by Robin Cook. Apparently it has a bit to do with the Salem witches so she thought I would like it. She's the one who first recommended The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane to me so she knows my style :D. I also swapped books with my friend on Andrew Wyeth. He's a favorite artist of ours and we both just love pouring over his pieces, and in both books he gives notes on how/why he painted something so they are very interesting reads.

My mojo has gone away, and not left a forwarding address. :D

I am going to pick up an old favourite.............'Magyk' by Angie Sage. This should keep a warm glow going until my mojo comes home.

Good luck with it Chrissy! :D

I got a bit of reading done on the train today. My partner has borrowed The Count of Monte Cristo from me (I never usually lend books, but I have to make an exception for him!)

Probably my most favorite book of all time, Kylie, Count of Monte Cristo :D. Good choice for reading! Has he read it before?

Might I second that? Amazing book!

I hereby vow that I'll finish my current book, Lipstick and Loopholes in Tehran, by tomorrow at the latest! Time to force in line that lojo of mine... :D

Decided to not start reading the Girl who played with fire and replace it with Charlaine Harris's Club Dead. For no other reason than I am going to be reading on and off and I feel that to try and read a bit here and a bit here of The Girl who played with fire will not give the book justice. so sticking with a quick and easy read.