What's Your Book Activity Today? - Take 7

Janet

Hmm, well I'm not the biggest sci-fi buff out there (I feel as though I'm just starting out) so I don't have a lot to compare it to. My partner, who is more of a connoisseur and has read all three books, enjoyed them reasonably well.

I've only read the first one (a month or so ago) and enjoyed it well enough. My partner hinted that there was a twist or something unexpected in the second book, so of course I had to push it up the TBR pile to find out what would happen!

Overall, I wouldn't say I was overwhelmed by its brilliance or anything, but it was a pleasant enough read! :D (Sorry if this is of no help to you whatsoever. :P)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets yesterday. Looking forward to reading more of it today. Also got out the library The Girl Next Door, Elizabeth Noble and Inkspell by Cornelia Funke. Got three Debbie Macomber books to pick up too - I love reserving books :P

Hmm, well I'm not the biggest sci-fi buff out there (I feel as though I'm just starting out) so I don't have a lot to compare it to. My partner, who is more of a connoisseur and has read all three books, enjoyed them reasonably well.

I've only read the first one (a month or so ago) and enjoyed it well enough. My partner hinted that there was a twist or something unexpected in the second book, so of course I had to push it up the TBR pile to find out what would happen!

Overall, I wouldn't say I was overwhelmed by its brilliance or anything, but it was a pleasant enough read! :lol: (Sorry if this is of no help to you whatsoever. :P)

No thats great thanks I'll see if I can pick up copy on the cheap and stick it on my tbr shelves :D

I am 200 pages into New Moon. I am liking it so far, even though I am finding the 'Lovey Dovey' stuff rather irritating.

If the love stuff is annoying you now I hate to think how you will cope with the next two :D

I liked New Moon because I really like Jacob :P

Catwoman, sorry to hear about your ordeals at the airport, I can only imagine how incredibly frustrating that must have been :P Glad to hear you're enjoying New Moon though :D

I'm still ploughing my way through Sleepyhead. I don't seem to be making any progress, somehow I've lost my mojo with this book. Not that it's an awful book though, I think it's just that I've got two Karin Slaughter books waiting on my bookshelf and I'd want to start them immediately...

If the love stuff is annoying you now I hate to think how you will cope with the next two :P

I liked New Moon because I really like Jacob

Haha, Oh no! That does not sound like a good omen. But I will be honest I am missing edward, I'm like is this not a book about vampires?? :lol: But I am enjoying it and I am finding it hard to put down. :D

There are another TWO??!! I thought there was only one more haha.

Catwoman, sorry to hear about your ordeals at the airport, I can only imagine how incredibly frustrating that must have been :P Glad to hear you're enjoying New Moon though

I'm still ploughing my way through Sleepyhead. I don't seem to be making any progress, somehow I've lost my mojo with this book. Not that it's an awful book though, I think it's just that I've got two Karin Slaughter books waiting on my bookshelf and I'd want to start them immediately...

Thanks Frankie. I still have not got my money back. I would be happy to use a voucher as either myself o my partner fly alot. Yes I do have a huuuge carbon footprint. :lol: We decided that I may travel back with him in two weeks. Thats if he stops his huge mood he is in. :D

Sounds like you may need to take a break from Sleepyhead and start Slughter. I did that with the last Dexter book I read. The book is a fairly good book and would be a shame to read it with a dormant mojo.

Haha, Oh no! That does not sound like a good omen. But I will be honest I am missing edward, I'm like is this not a book about vampires?? :lol: But I am enjoying it and I am finding it hard to put down. :D

Awwww missing Edward! :lol: And yes, Catwoman, another two! With any luck, Meyer will snap out of it and keep going with them :D.

I agree Frankie, I'd move on to the Slaughter books!

I didn't read much of Bitten yesterday unfortunately, but hopefully I'll squeeze some in after my dinner out tonight. I'm loving it! :P

Awwww missing Edward! :lol: And yes, Catwoman, another two! With any luck, Meyer will snap out of it and keep going with them :D.

I agree Frankie, I'd move on to the Slaughter books!

I didn't read much of Bitten yesterday unfortunately, but hopefully I'll squeeze some in after my dinner out tonight. I'm loving it! :P

I didn't think I would say it, but yes I am missing him. So after the forth they are going to be no more?!

Is bitten any good? Another book lots of peole have been reading. Maybe this will be my next recommendation reservation?

He's very miss-able, Catwoman! :D Who knows what Meyer is thinking for her future books, but for now there are only 4 in the saga. Lots of us here are hoping she writes a series from Ed's POV, which she started but hasn't committed to finishing yet.

I am loving Bitten so far, although I am only 100 and so odd pages in. Lots of people here love the whole 'Women of the Underworld' series so I'm sure you would get many recommendations including mine! :P Another series to get sucked into, but it's so fun!

Haha, Oh no! That does not sound like a good omen. But I will be honest I am missing edward, I'm like is this not a book about vampires?? :D But I am enjoying it and I am finding it hard to put down. :P

Yes, there are another two :D hehe!

I missed Edward too.

when he left I was genuinely dissapointed

and I credit Stephenie Meyer for that :lol: I hope you like the rest. I kind of lost it after New Moon.

---

Picked up The Casebook of Victor Frankenstein at the library today :P I read the first few pages of The Art of Racing in the Rain and decided against it. I think it would upset me too much :lol:

Still reading The Night Watch

If any Jane Austen-type fans are here, maybe you might be interested in "Lydia Bennet's Story" by Jane Odiwe? Jane has made a very impressive effort to capture a warmer, more innocent Lydia than we tend to see.

I'm about halfway through this, and have just come to the part where Lydia and Wickam have run off together!

It's great to read a sequel to "Pride and Prejudice" which doesn't follow Elizabeth and Darcy, (a refreshing change!) and I'm getting a fresh insight into the "disgraced" Bennet sister, and her adventures.

I wonder what Jane Odiwe's version of Mr Darcy will be like, as seen from the "other side of the tracks" - ? :P

I am still reading 'The Haunting of Hill House' by Shirley Jackson and I just ordered from amazon ~

Mr Darcy, Vampyre by Amanda Grange

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson

The Lottery and Other Stories by Shirley Jackson

:P

Towards the end of 1984.

That's a bit off-topic, but here it goes:why would someone want to read a rip-off of a classic, like the Jane Austen rip-offs? Why should they even been written?:P It's like: ok, I am not much of an aspiring writer, let's write something based on a much beloved book, it will probably do well in sales.

Ok I have only about 60 pages and I have finished New Moon, and I can't believe I am saying it but WOW!!!! What an amazing last 150 pages! I could not put it down, I would say it is number 2 in my best books of my reads for 2009, I really have been gripped!

That's a bit off-topic, but here it goes:why would someone want to read a rip-off of a classic, like the Jane Austen rip-offs? Why should they even been written?:P It's like: ok, I am not much of an aspiring writer, let's write something based on a much beloved book, it will probably do well in sales.

That's a whole thread in itself! I've only read one 'sequel' written by someone else (Peter Pan in Scarlet) and I wasn't impressed at all.

I have about 20 or so pages left of Through The Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There by Lewis Carroll left which I am going to finish when I go up to bed shortly. :D

Read another 50-60 pages of 'THe Girl Who Played With Fire' last night. Really enjoying it and looking forward to getting a really decent chunk of it read over the weekend.

Thats my next book. So glad to hear you are enjoying it!