What's Your Book Activity Today? - Take 7

Janet

I'm currently dipping in and out of Modern Delight - which is a book of very short (one or two page) essays by various celebrities on what give them delight. I'm loving it!

It's a Waterstones exclusive and is based on the book Delight by J B Priestley (which I intend to buy sometime soon!) which was first published in 1949.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Started reading Wicked! by Jilly Cooper only to find this wally here has read it already :irked: I still have the receipt so Im hoping WHSmith will let me exchange it!

Now 100 pages into Handle with Care by Jodi Picoult :D

I'm 50 pages into the fourth part of Yukio Mishima's The Decay of the Angel, the final part of his quartet, The Sea of Fertility.

I read the first three (Spring Snow, Runaway Horses, The Temple of Dawn) earlier this year and greatly enjoyed them, the second part especially. However, I opted to break off after part three and now four months have elapsed, which is a longer gap than I had intended. It isn't absolutely essential to recall all that happened in the previous parts (the story jumps forward quite a few years and thus far features only a few characters from the earlier novels) but I can't help wishing I'd resumed it sooner, when it was all a bit fresher in my mind. I'm sure it would have been beneficial.

Our local libraries have a shelf where people can come in and donate books/magazines and they are free to the public. Well today I went by (Tuesdays are the best days to find good books) and here is what I got!

Tudor and Stuart Britain 1471-1714 by Roger Lockyer, 1964 (hardback)

The Middle Of The Journey by Lionel Trilling, 1947 (hardback)

The Glass Lake by Maeve Binchy (hardback)

The Way To Wealth by Benjamin Franklin, 1986 (hardback)

Thoreau, A collection of Critical Essays, edited by Sherman Paul, 1962 (paperback)

I just received an Amazon order that I wasn't expecting for another month! Hopefully I'll receive the rest of it in the next couple of days. The books I got were:

Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk

Mosaic Techniques and Traditions by Sonia King

It's a Waterstones exclusive and is based on the book Delight by J B Priestley (which I intend to buy sometime soon!) which was first published in 1949.

Aaaah, JB Priestley, my very favourite author. You will love this book. If you like his writing, then do read Angel Pavement and Good Companions - they are just wonderful. I've listed Angel Pavement as my favourite ever book. It's not a clever twisted plot, it's just lovely writing, quite dated, but then I love "dated".

Edit to add: I've just ordered the 60th anniverary edition of Delight from Amazon - thanks for mentioning it Janet.

Edited by SueK
updated

Made my way to about page 120 of Bitten last night and am really enjoying myself! I'm trying to finish it so I can lend it to my friend on Sunday, but we'll see how motivated I can be :D.

Today I was reading fan-fic before work. Does that count as activity?!

Aaaah, JB Priestley, my very favourite author. You will love this book. If you like his writing, then do read Angel Pavement and Good Companions - they are just wonderful. I've listed Angel Pavement as my favourite ever book. It's not a clever twisted plot, it's just lovely writing, quite dated, but then I love "dated".

Edit to add: I've just ordered the 60th anniverary edition of Delight from Amazon - thanks for mentioning it Janet.

I've just ordered it too -

I'm still reading The Night Watch by Sarah Waters and loving it :irked: Almost halfway through now.

I got Dune and Dune Messiah from a friend last night too. Have wanted to read Dune for ages. My boyfriend says it isn't very good though :D

It is a REALLY old copy of Dune and when I got it home I opened it and found a really old polaroid picture of a woman sitting with two collie dogs... I love finding things like that in old books :lol:

After a useless day at the airport :P, I have come back to my hometown. But I did dmanage to get the Lost book of salem finished (will do my reivew later.) To be honest it was good but not as good as what I thought it was going to be.

Started New moon by stephanie Meyer and I am just over 100 pages in and I am really liking it so far. Even though it is a little too mushy for my liking so far.

Used the book depository for the first time, and ordered Anoraknophobia by Rob Grillo,Let the Right One In by John Ajvide Lindqvist,Count Magus and Other Stories by M.R. James and The Accident Man by Tom Cain. The books are more expensive than Amazon but international postage is free saving me about 10 quid all up.

I just finished The Glass Bead Game by Hermann Hesse. This was sitting on my TBR pile for such a long time and I was always slightly daunted by it so I'm feeling quite a sense of achievement right now. :P

It was a pretty good read and gave me some food for thought, although it was a bit of a slog in places, most notably the introduction and the last 100 pages, which were fictional writings of the main character and didn't contribute much more to the preceding story.

I'm moving on to Deathworld 2 by Harry Harrison.

Thanks Gyre! It will be such a relief to be able to look at that book on my shelf and not feel guilty all the time! :P

I'll be interested in your thoughts on the Shirley Jackson novel. I'm particularly interested in reading The Lottery and Other Stories by her. It's supposed to be pretty good. Have you read it?

I just finished The Glass Bead Game by Hermann Hesse. This was sitting on my TBR pile for such a long time and I was always slightly daunted by it so I'm feeling quite a sense of achievement right now. :P

It was a pretty good read and gave me some food for thought, although it was a bit of a slog in places, most notably the introduction and the last 100 pages, which were fictional writings of the main character and didn't contribute much more to the preceding story.

I'm moving on to Deathworld 2 by Harry Harrison.

I've just read the blurb on amazon of the Deathworld books they sound great. Have you read the first book and if so is it as good as it sounds?