Good book about Satan, demons etc.

Hi mago,

How are you? All of these books are by Dennis Wheatley ~

The Devil Rides Out

To the Devil a Daughter

The Haunting of Toby Jugg

:D

I, Lucifer by Glen Duncan:

The end is nigh, and the Prince of Darkness has been given one last shot at redemption, if he can manage to live out a reasonably blameless life on earth. The Old Dealmaker negotiates a trial run - a month with all the delights of the flesh. (The flesh: slightly worn, one previous owner; a writer). But the experience of walking amongst us has more pratfalls and detours than Luce foresaw; instead of teaching us what it's like to be him, Lucifer finds himself beginning to understand what it's like to be human...

Oooh me likey this thread. As if I need to scare myself anymore.

I'll third Paradise Lost - it's a great read and there's SO much literature about it to pad it out thematically and characteristically. I studied it last year and absolutely loved it.

Dennis Wheatley ~

The Devil Rides Out

To the Devil a Daughter

The Haunting of Toby Jugg

:D

Ooh I read The Devil Rides Out when I was younger, and I was gutted when we moved and I lost my copy. Must've read it about 8 times. I'm desperate to get hold of another copy. I'll second this one!

Wendy Alec has written a trilogy called Chronicles of Brothers, which goes as follows:

The Fall of Lucifer

Messiah

Son of Perdition

Not only have I not read them, I have been undecided whether to get them for ages because the topic interests me (I adore Paradise Lost and think everyone should read it, but note: it's a poem, in case that makes a difference) but reviews are polarised as to whether they are any good or not - it's one of those cases where half of the population says, OMG THEY ARE THE BEST THING SINCE TOAST and the other half says, OMG THEY ARE RUBBISH I WANT THOSE HOURS OF MY LIFE BACK!!! Maybe you can read them, come back and tell me whether they're worth the investment :D?

Also there are,

Stuart Vowell, The Lucifer Wars (which I'm similarly undecided about)

Hal Duncan, Vellum and Ink (which I most definitely want to get my hands on)

If you don't mind drama as well as poetry, Christopher Marlowe's Doctor Faustus is about a man who makes a pact with the devil (a marvellous play, short and snappy and magnificent, so much better than J.W. von Goethe's tedious enlargement of the same story, Faust); so is Carl-Johan Vallgren's Documents Concerning Rubashov the Gambler (which I've yet to read, however I can vouch for him as a writer, given that his debut novel is one of my favourite books of all time).

I'm not sure I can recommend Dante's Inferno to the casual reader - while it is a work of unsurpassable genius (Dante being to Italy what Shakespeare is to England), this poem is nowhere near as accessible as those of Shakespeare or Milton. Paradise Lost one can grasp the surface of by oneself (should you want to delve a bit deeper, may I recommend the Longman Annotated edition?); on the other hand the archaic nature (circa 1300 AD) of Inferno and the particular difficulties it poses for a translator make it difficult for me to recommend it; I wouldn't want it to be misunderstood.

I, Lucifer by Glen Duncan:

The end is nigh, and the Prince of Darkness has been given one last shot at redemption, if he can manage to live out a reasonably blameless life on earth. The Old Dealmaker negotiates a trial run - a month with all the delights of the flesh. (The flesh: slightly worn, one previous owner; a writer). But the experience of walking amongst us has more pratfalls and detours than Luce foresaw; instead of teaching us what it's like to be him, Lucifer finds himself beginning to understand what it's like to be human...

Ooh that sounds good! I'm going to add it to my wish list!

You can't go wrong with the frequently mentioned Dennis Wheatley's black magic novels...

Paradise Lost is classic but more of a poem, which has already been stated. (And, incidentally, the name of a brilliant band..!)

For a slightly more 'modern' book (well, 1980's I think) I would recommend Son of the Endless Night, by John Farris, about demonic possession.

Rosemary's Baby by Ira Levin:

Rosemary and Guy Woodhouse were delighted at the chance to move into Bramford, one of Manhattan's oldest and most celebrated apartment houses. Their friend Hutch urged them not to; he knew of too many shadows in Bramford's past - unsavoury tenants like Adrian Marcato, who had practised witchcraft, and the monstrous Trench sisters. But Rosemary and Guy were clear-thinking and not at al superstitious. They dismissed Hutch's warnings and moved in.

At first they were completely happy. Rosemary hung curtains and planned a nursery for the baby she hoped to have some day. Guy pursued his career as a stage and television actor. They met their neighbours, who were friendly and unintrusive. But then, one day when Rosemary was down in the basement laundry room, a girl her own age came in...

Quietly and with a compelling matter-of-factness, Ira Levin tells a story of mounting terror and icy climactic shock in a book that manages to be wildly entertaining as well.