Book Prices

Ghost

I have noticed a subtle rise over the past year or two, but increasingly you are also having the major mark downs in supermarkets etc, so ultimately it levels out.

If prices were kept fairly low, I do think people would risk buying more, although if they keep using libraries, then that's good.

The reason that book prices have risen so steeply is to counteract the huge discounts that are demanded by retailers in order to place books in three for two's and so on. If a book is sold by the publisher at say 50 percent discount (which is increasingly the norm), 50 percent of

I don't think more people would read for pleasure if prices were lower, but rather that the same people who read for pleasure now would buy more books if that were the case. I know that, for one, I would buy more more books than I do now if they cost less each - I'd be buying all or most of I want as opposed to all I can afford. Currently,I am fairly limited in my expenditure possibilities as supermarkets don't really cater for my reading tastes; Waterstone's 3x2, Amazon discounts on RRP and the like are my saviours really.

I've had to resort to getting almost all my books 2nd hand now whereas before it was about 40-50% and the rest were brand new). THe only new books I get nowadays are from supermarkets and discount book shops as they only cost a few quid, unless I get vouchers/gift cards for some place like Waterstones. I used to love browsing through Waterstones (or Ottakers as it was - I prefered it back then!) but now it's pretty much torture because the books are so much more expensive these days.

I'm also finding a lot of the paperbacks are in the larger format, which is almost the same size as the hardbacks, and Im' wondering if the publishers are using that as an excuse to charge more too. :D

I'm also finding a lot of the paperbacks are in the larger format, which is almost the same size as the hardbacks, and Im' wondering if the publishers are using that as an excuse to charge more too. :D

I've noticed that too, I hate them when they're that big, may as well just buy the hardback if they're gonna do that

I have to agree, I do not think a lot of people are put off reading by the price, they are put off because they have a lot of other distractions. Tv, film, internet, video games etc are all more likely to grab children at a young age before they get to books.

I noticed this today, there was a book I really wanted but it was only available in the massive size and it irked me no end (mostly because it won't fit in my bag).

I also noticed how much it pays to shop around, managed to grab a book I've wanted for ages in The Works for

Here in the U.S. there's a sort of movement among Kindle users to boycott anything over $9.99.

Some of my Kindle books are public domain classics, and prices range from free to a few dollars. I'm willing to pay a few bucks for better formatting and an active table of contents.

I also buy used books through Amazon, but shipping is four dollars. I wish everything was available in ebook format.

I never used to think about the cost of books and just bought whatever I wanted! These days I compare prices and look at secondhand which is something I would never have considered doing before.

I won't be buying a Kindle in the UK as Amazon themselves have said that prices will be inflated by at least 40% on a lot of books plus I'm an old fashioned soul that really loves paper :D

Me too - in a few years time the technology will have improved and prices will come right down anyway - that's what always happens with these things. I must admit that I would probably buy more as well if books were cheaper, but it is difficult. As an author I can see both sides of the argument - the book chain (authors, publishers, book sellers etc) need to make money and cover their costs, but if they hike their prices up too much people just buy second hand instead - and then they make even less money ! They have to find the middle ground, which isn't always easy ...

The 'large format' paperback books aren't that size for price reasons but prestige ones. The thinking behind the format was to confer more importance on certain paperbacks (i.e. the SF classics in that size published by Gollancz), and the format is gaining ground in terms of sales to standard paperback format. It is the same dimensions as the editions printed for the visually impaired for some reason.

As POD author, the reason I chose a larger format for my own book was economic - bigger pages mean that less of them are needed. Less pages means a cheaper book to produce. Simple economics really. I could get away with it though as my book is non fiction, where larger books are the norm anyway.

Depends how you look at it - we all have different priorities. To me an Ipod is a luxury as it costs the same as over 20 books (with 3 for 2's). Personally I think books are good value when you consider the work that goes into them, but what do I know, I just write them ! :D

If somebody gave me the choice between an iPod or the equivalent value in books I'd choose books every time. It's because of all these gadgets that less people are reading than ever before :D

Absolutely - the latest 'thing' I hear is something called 'vooks', which combine words with music and video. I thought the whole point of reading was to read without distractions, and well to be honest, I don't see the point ! I agree with you Fiona, give me books any day.

Absolutely - the latest 'thing' I hear is something called 'vooks', which combine words with music and video. I thought the whole point of reading was to read without distractions, and well to be honest, I don't see the point ! I agree with you Fiona, give me books any day.

Vooks??? WTH? People will try anything for a quick buck! Having thought about it further, I don't consider

Me too if I wanted it badly enough. I know that the relatively high price tag does put some people off buying my own book though - you can to a certain extent get away with higher prices with non-fiction.

You are right though about the discounting - as an author it's something I know all about as it costs so much of my own profit. I remember reading on The Bookseller not that long ago that more books are now sold at discount in our country than at full price. An example of how stupid it has become is The Lost Symbol which in some incidences was being sold at 80 percent off - how does it make sense that one of the years best sellers, if not the best seller is sold at such discount. Think of the money that is being lost because of this and how it could be used to invest in new writers and better equipment and staff training for the retailers. And then there is the returns system - whatever you do don't get me started on that ! What a way to run a business.

Edited by Talisman

• 3 months later...

Sorry have only just got round to reading this thread and even thought it is now pretty old thought i would throw my view in. I personally think books at the moment are cheaper than ever in paperback. All major supermarkets have been running 2 for