Books from the States to Australia ?

Jack Dawkins

I've only ordered once from Amazon.com (DVDs) a couple of years ago and I had no problems whatsoever. I put in a big book order the other day so I'll see how that goes. I think it'll be at least a month before they arrive though!

How do you actually go about paying for books from another country in another currency? (without resorting to sending cash or a money order)
When I tried to buy books from Barnes & Noble all prices were stated in US Dollars, so I translated the amount using an internet converter to have a rough idea of how much I was spending. The transaction didn't actually happen as B&N would only take Visa and Mastercard as far as UK cards went so they didn't like mine, but that's another story...

How do you actually go about paying for books from another country in another currency? (without resorting to sending cash or a money order)

I's actually very simple on the internet as most shops will take any card and then it's just a bank transaction where the currency is automatically converted.

But you need to check whether your bank will charge you for this. I used to order a lot from The book depository, as it's so cheap and postage is free, but then I noticed my bank was charging me significant amounts for the euro to pound transaction. So I switched to Play.com which also has very low prices and free posting, and as a bonus offers to pay in pounds OR in euros (no currency change on my side then). :D

So I'd just check your bank's policy if I where you.

I received half of my Amazon order today. I only placed the order 9 days ago and wasn't expecting it for another month! Hopefully the other part of the order will arrive in the next couple of days (not sure why the books weren't shipped together as the orders were shipped on the same day). Still, I'd say that's pretty good!

The books are packaged reasonably well, but there are just a couple of little creases on one of the large books. I don't mind though, since it was dirt cheap compared to the Australian prices. :D

The Book Depository have some great prices. I can't wait to receive my order from them. :D How long do you usually have to wait, Dan?

I've never waiting more than a week I don't think. 8 or 9 days at a maximum I would say.

From my experience the books are in better condition than with Amazon as well as they are individually packaged in a secure bag rather than all lumped in a box or whatever.

• 4 weeks later...

I've now received a fair few orders from The Book Depository and I have to say I'm pretty happy with them. The books often arrive a little damaged though. Just a little, but enough to make go 'aww' :D. Still, I'll keep buying from them because they're so darn cheap. And it's weird how they never package two or more books together. I've been ordering 8 or 9 books at a time and they always arrive 3 or 4 at a time in separate envelopes.

Anyway, the main reason I came here was to say that BD now have $A prices on their website! Canadian too, by the look of it. It still seems a couple of dollars cheaper to buy in $US though, at least for now...