What about 'classical classics'?

Green_Shoe

Hello everyone!

I haven't seen any treads about the real classics, I mean antique classics by this. Do you like Greek or Roman authors? How do you approach their works? There are many good translations out there so you don't need to learn Ancient Greek or Latin to read Homer or Vergil. But it's so exhausting sometimes... Even if the historical and cultural background is familiar to you, it's a big challenge, I think.

sirinrob, sure. Plato. Respect. :D

MDR124, sounds like we're colleagues. I read Homer, Vergil, Horace, Taсitus, Lucretius - the standard list for those who take Introduction to the Classical Literature course. I don't say that I'm the best student in the world and a professional in this field but it would be nice to have someone to talk about it. :D

I'm re-reading Petronius' Satyricon at the moment and I really like it.

busy91, Dante is definetly Classics but from another period. I was talking about the Literature of Antiquity/Late Antiquity. But I like Dante, too. :)

Colleagues...I could have been probably. I happen to be an engineer, yet I find shelter in classics whenever I can. I can find peace in them and often they're more modern than most of the books you find around in bookshops. Among the authors you mentioned I love reading Homer (Odissey, in particular, I can't get tired of it), Horace (Satirae and Odes) and Lucretius (de rerum natura).

MDR124, oh. Then we're not. Engineering is not my field at all :D. Well, you told you wanted to refresh your classical studies and so on. :lol: To be honest, I've never seen an engineer, who could translate original texts from ancient Greek and Latin, that's why I thought you're some kind of philologist.

De rerum natura is an interesting work. I'm taking a course about Lucretius this semester and I'm going crazy because of the intertextuality and philosophical background.

• 1 year later...

When I was in high school, I must have read a shitload of Latin texts. Ovidius, Cicero, Homer, Julius Caesar,.. ranging from poetry/mythology to socio-political works. There's a lot in them to appreciate, even to love. Still, I wouldn't even dream of reading them in the original language though. I'm afraid my Latin is a tad too rusty these days. :)