Philippa Gregory

MuggleMagic

• 7 months later...

Three Sisters, three Queens -

What did we think then?

It took a bit of time for me to realise I was actually enjoying the read. At first Margaret (sister of Henry the eighth) seemed a bit of a whinger to me. Gradually though I realised she was just being a "sister" to the other two Queens (Mary and Katherine of Aragon) in alternating sentiment with jealousy regarding her kinship. Especially in the midst of a crises, Margaret would pause to let off steam at one or both of the other two!

Of course as the sister of only a brother I couldn't be expected to "get" it immediately - could I?

Over to y'all ...

Edited by Booknutt

I have. I got it for Xmas. I did enjoy it, but not as much as I hoped or thought I would based on my past experience with PG's historical fiction novels. I found Margaret a highly annoying narrator - I mostly wanted to give her a good slap and tel her to grow up and stop being so self-centred. She is so consumed with her own petty jealousies, that she can't just get on with her own life at all, for fear that she might be slighted in some way. She's not a particularly nice character, but then, I didn't think either Mary or Katherine particularly likeable in this novel, possibly because we view them through Margaret's eyes, and so their portrayal is tainted by her view of them.