If I knew you were coming I'd have baked a cake...

Kell

Well, I personally wouldn't becaue I'm useless at baking - usually!

We have a "What's for dinner?" thread, but I thought I'd open a baking thread as I'm currently making my first ever attempt at baking cheese scones. I used to "help" my Grom bake when I was a kid - I had cold hands so I used to help make the pastry (my hands are considerably warmer these days though!), but since I grew up, I've never been much cop at baking anything (and my pastry tastes like cardboard - LOL!). So I concentrated on things I knew I COULD cook - soups, stews, chillis, Sunday roasts, curries etc.

However, I've recently started trying to turn myself into a Domestic Goddess and that includes baking, so today is my first experiment in that direction. I shall let you know the verdict when they're out and cooled...

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wicci - I'd LOVE to have that recipe, thank you!

And the verdict on the cheese scones is... SCRUMPTIOUS! I just had to share half of mine with Xander who wanted quite a bit of it himself! Even Dale pronounced it yummy. I am SO proud of myself - hurrah! Am now looking forward to trying my hand at baking other things too. :friends0:

I love baking but I can't really do anything other than queen cakes as my brother won't eat anything else (he's a fussy eater) and there's no one else to eat them. I do like making scones, apple tarts, cookies and chocolate muffins, but due to ridiculous amounts of practise my queen cakes are the nicest. I don't even need to measure the stuff anymore - I can tell from using the same bags and packets over and over exactly how much I need just by looking. So it takes less than 15 mins to start from scratch and have the first lot already baking in the oven :friends0:

Kell, I love cheese scones! It's one of the few things I remember baking at school in home ec classes, and I also remember they went down very well at home as well :D

I love baking when I have time, in fact, I'm a much better baker than cook! My favourites are chocolate fudge cake, apple and almond cake, shortbread and fruit scones. The only problem is I don't have enough time to bake very often, and with only two of us in the house, I end up eating far too much of anything I bake. :friends0:

I'd really like to try my hand at cake decorating, but I'm such a perfectionist, I know my efforts would never be good enough for me.

I don't do a lot of baking either - I used to, but have got out of the habit. I used to make lovely muffins, substituting the usual flour for gluten free. They are slightly heavier, but still yummy - my favourites were chocolate (of course), apple and raisin or cherry and coconut. Perhaps I will make some more and take them in work next weekend. :eek2:

Well, I actually used all my flour making my little batch of half a dozen cheese scones, so I'll be getting some more next week when we go grocery shopping again because I am DEFINITELY making them again! I have now resolved to try baking something every weekend to see how I get on...

Those sound yummy, Kell! I love baking, especially around the holidays, since goodies like that make excellent gifts ;). I've made scones before, but only the sweet kind with fruit. I will definitely have to try cheese now!

I also like to make biscotti (good for dunking in coffee you know :eek2:), ginger snaps and short bread cookies. I make baklava at the holidays, and I love the smell of my kitchen when I make banana muffins. I found a recipe that has crumbled brown sugar and butter sprinkled on the top and ohmygosh those are so good!

Mmm, cheese scones sound nice. My partner loves cheese in anything so I'll definitely have to try making these.

I love baking but I'm still very much a learner so I haven't really perfected anything yet. Although I do make some pretty good choc chip cookies. :eek2:

I don't get much chance to bake so lately I've found myself buying those packet mixes which turn out surprisingly yummy. As tempted as I am to keep going with packet mixes, I'll still be trying my own stuff as often as I can.

I agree with chesilbeach as well; with only two people eating the goods, and my partner not being around all the time, I end up eating most of it myself!

I will definitely have to try cheese now!

Let me know how they turn out!

I also like to make biscotti (good for dunking in coffee you know :eek2:), ginger snaps and short bread cookies. I make baklava at the holidays, and I love the smell of my kitchen when I make banana muffins. I found a recipe that has crumbled brown sugar and butter sprinkled on the top and ohmygosh those are so good!

I would LOVE the recipes to those to try. How about posting them here in the thread (I'm about to post the recipe I used for the cheese scones myself) then we can ALL try them out?!

Mmm, cheese scones sound nice. My partner loves cheese in anything so I'll definitely have to try making these.

Again, let me know how they turn out - I'd love to hear that someone else enjoyed them!

I love baking but I'm still very much a learner so I haven't really perfected anything yet. Although I do make some pretty good choc chip cookies. :)

Ooh, please do post the recipe!

I don't get much chance to bake so lately I've found myself buying those packet mixes which turn out surprisingly yummy. As tempted as I am to keep going with packet mixes, I'll still be trying my own stuff as often as I can.

I've only really used packet mixes too (with varied results) so we can bolster each other in our from-scratch bakery attempts!

I always awe of anyone who can bake! ;) x

Me too!

Anyway, without firther ado, here's the recipe for the cheese scones I made yesterday:

Cheesy Cheese Scones

Ingredients (makes 6 scones):

225g / 8oz self raising flour

Pinch of salt

55g / 2 oz butter

55g / 2oz finely grated strong cheddar

150ml / 5fl oz milk

Directions:

1. Preheat oven (or in my case, combi-oven) to 220C / 425F / GM 7

2. Lightly grease baking sheet

3. Mix together flour and salt, then rub in butter

4. Add the cheese and then gradually stir in milk with a metal knife (I used my Grom

I'm gong to try baking some cookies today - two different types. I've found simple recipes for flourless peanutbutter cookies and melting moments, so I thought I'd give them both a bash. I'll let you know how they turn out and give the recipes if they're good! :D

If I knew you were coming I would buy a lot of ingredients and do some massive hinting about what you could be doing...

LMAO!

Kell, would you like a dead easy recipe for fail-proof chocolate cake? A friend of our family gave it to my Mom & I've made it a gazillion times & it has never failed. It has it's origins in Glasgow, which is where our friend is from, so it would be going back to Scotland, via Canada & England, lol!

Good thread Kell....although any non fattening recipes would be good :D:lol::lol:

Here is a very simple to put together recipe for one of Kenny and I favourites for using up slightly over ripe bananas.

Banana Bread/Muffins

5oz SF Flour

1 egg

5oz Caster Sugar

1 large ripe or 2 small ripe bananas

2oz Soft Butter/marg (I use soft Stork)

1/4 teaspoon Bicarb Soda

1/4 teaspoon Salt

1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Essence

Optional ingredients ~ sprinkle some poppy seeds on the top before baking ~ mix through some plain chocolate choc chips, or sprinkle on top of the muffins

Gas mark 4/180oC ~ middle shelf ~ 3/4 hour (loaf) or 20 mins (muffins)

Method

Place banana, egg, sugar, butter/marg, vanilla and salt in to a blender/liquidiser and blend until smooth. Sift flour and soda into a bowl, making a well in the middle and pour in banana mixture, and fold in well until all the dry ingredients are incorprated.

Place into a 1 lb or 2lb lined loaf tin or 3/4 fill 10-12 muffin cases and bake for appropriate time.

You will love the home baking smell wafting through from your kitchen for this.:lol:

Kell, would you like a dead easy recipe for fail-proof chocolate cake?

Yes please! Do post it here in the thread so everyone can give it a try if they've a mind to! :D

Here is a very simple to put together recipe for one of Kenny and I favourites for using up slightly over ripe bananas.

I'll certainly be trying this one next time I have over ripe bananas!

My peanutbutter cookies taste nice enough, if very sweet, l but they are all falling apart. Of the 8 I made, I have only salvaged 5 - and one of them has one side falling off it already! I'll not be bothering with those again.

The melting moments are baking right now.

That's too bad about your peanut butter cookies, Kell! Maybe there's not enough of a binder in it? I've never attempted anything flourless, but you'd think it would be an issue of butter or egg, hmm...

I was going to post my ginger snap recipe, but just realized that I only have American measurements. I'll convert them quick and then post it :D.

I'll certainly be trying this one next time I have over ripe bananas!

The melting moments are baking right now.

Shame about your peanut butter cookies Kell. Also meant to say it doesn't matter how over ripe the bananas are, I have used them when turning black and they come out OK. I love melting moments. Your house must be filled with lovely bakin aromas:D

Agnes' Scottish Chocolate cake

459 grams all purpose flour (2 cups)

459 grams caster sugar (though I use only 192 grams & it's plenty sweet) (2 cups)

114 grams of quality coaco (I use Green & Blacks) (3/4 cup)

1 & 1/2 teaspoons of baking powder

1 & 1/2 teaspoons of baking soda

1 teaspoon of salt

2 medium eggs

12 oz of milk (I use skimmed, but the recipe calls for 2%) (1 cup)

170 grams (6 oz) of vegetable oil (I've used olive, corn, rapeseed, flaxseed & grapeseed oils & they all work equally well) (1/2 cup)

1 teaspoon of vanilla extract

12 oz of boiling water (1 cup)

~In a large bowl sift together the dry ingredients.

~Add the eggs, milk, vanilla & vegetable oil & mix well. (can be done by hand or using an electric mixer)

~Add the boiling water & mix by hand with a spoon.

This will make a very liquid batter, so don't panic that you have done something wrong - you haven't!

Pour the batter into a bunt pan, or a 6 inch cake pan & cook in the oven for 40-45 minutes on 350 (175 celcius).

**I have noticed that the cake takes a lot longer to cook over here than it does at home. I usually end up having to cook it for around an hour, but I think that's because I am using a smaller pan. When I cook it in my long glass cake dish then it does only take the 40 minutes.**

Edited by Ceinwenn
Edited to add US measures

Ginger Snaps

172 grams butter (room temp)

229 grams brown sugar

1 egg

4 tablespoons molasses

1 rounded teaspoon ginger

459 grams flour

2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon cloves

Granulated sugar (enough to roll the cookies in before baking)

In a bowl, cream butter, sugar, egg and molasses. In another bowl sift flour, baking soda and spices. Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet and combine. Roll into 2.5cm balls and roll in the granulated sugar. Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake at 176 C for 8-10 minutes.

When I first starting baking these I played with the baking time a bit. I like them really soft, so I usually bake for 8 minutes, but obviously it depends on your oven. I've also found that I like using dark brown sugar for these, but either way they are yummy!

Well, at least my melting moments turned out quite well. They're rather nice, if a tad cakey. I'm going to have to ask my Mam for her old recipe for them as I have very fond memories of her melting moments as a kid. In the meantime, though, this recipe will do. I got it from CBeebies I Can Cook of all places!

Ingredients (makes 6):

50g caster sugar

100g soft butter

1 egg (you'll only use half)

1tsp vanilla extract

125g SR flour

70g oats

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 180C

2. Cream the butter and sugar till fluffy

3. In a separate cup, whisk the egg with a fork and add half to the butter and sugar, then beat it all together with a wooden spoon

4. Add the tsp of vanilla extract and the flour and combine till all the flour is incorporated into the sticky mixture

5. Divide the dough into 6 and roll into balls

6. Put the oats on a plate and roll the balls in them til they're coated

7. Put them on a lightly greased baking tray and press down lightly

8. Bake for 12-15 minutes or until cooked

This recipe only makes half a dozen, but you could easily double all the ingredients and use the whole egg (the recipe only calls for half the egg). I had to leave mine in the oven for 20 minutes till they were cooked, but they came out lovely. I'd like to make more (to my Mam's recipe instead) but try coating them in dessicated coconut or flaked almonds (if using almonds, I'd use almond extract instead of vanilla for more impact), as I think they'd also work well.

Overall, I'd give this recipe 3/5 - it's simple, easy and quite tasty, but they taste/feel a bit more cakey than biscuity. Still very yummy though!

Edited by Kell

Good time to start this thread Kell as they have just announced on This Morning that it is National Baking Week. So get your wooden spoons and baking bowls out of those cupboards and get baking.:D

Mmm I can't wait to try out that cake recipe when my baking pans get here this week, Ceinwenn! I've been baking up a storm lately .. Now if my cake pans will arrive, I can do more than just cookies and cupcakes, although those are lovely of course. :D

For some other good recipes, one of my favorite sites just listed 4 yummy desserts.. They look yummy and pretty easy!

http://www.kevinandamanda.com/whatsnew/category/new-recipes