If I knew you were coming I'd have baked a cake...

Kell

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done a fair bit of baking over the last week or so. First I made pasties (which were delicious - stuffed with corned beef, potato, carrot and swede), then I made little apple and plum pies (individual sized ones) which were yummy. Then I made a loaf of bread which was great. Finally I made some brownies this week which, according to Dale and Xan, were delicious, but unfortunately I discovered I'm right off cakey things at the moment and I wasn't impressed with them at all. My sister declared them yummy though, so its just me that wasn't keen on them.

I've done a fair bit of baking over the last week or so. First I made pasties (which were delicious - stuffed with corned beef, potato, carrot and swede), then I made little apple and plum pies (individual sized ones) which were yummy. Then I made a loaf of bread which was great. Finally I made some brownies this week which, according to Dale and Xan, were delicious, but unfortunately I discovered I'm right off cakey things at the moment and I wasn't impressed with them at all. My sister declared them yummy though, so its just me that wasn't keen on them.

I keep meaning to bake pasties! How simple were they?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I made my first recipe from Jo Wheatley's A Passion for Baking today, the Cinnamon and Sugar Popovers, only I left out the cinnamon in the coating as my kids aren't big fans. They were actually very nice though I think I should either use popover tins next time or put less in the muffin cases. I'd also serve them with vanilla ice cream..  Here's how they came out.

alq39w.jpg

Ooh .. they look good Hayley :)

I must admit .. I write in my cookbooks :o .. alterations and things to remember and whatnot. I didn't always but then they get so covered in flour and sugar and goodness knows what that there was no being precious about them anymore. It's been a great help actually but none of the books I've written in have been particularly new .. that might take nerve :D 

Yes, I write in my cookbooks too, and turn over corners! :o I also have a recipe box for all the recipes I've cut out of magazines, printed off the BBC Good Food website etc. :)

They were very easy to make and as my 14 year old said, a good cross between a doughnut and a Yorkshire pudding! :D. I've just checked them in the tin and they have gone a little soft so I think they will need crisping up in the oven before we eat them tomorrow (with ice cream and chocolate sauce!)

As they are really just batter they would be great to make ahead of time and just pop in the fridge untIl you are ready to make them. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I love baking. I love to bake cake, cookies, and bread especially. My mom and I made some pumpkin bread on September 22nd to celebrate Hobbit day (Lord of the Rings fans like me will know what I'm talking about), and to ring in Fall. I love Christmas because I get to bake cookies with my family, it's a tradition we started ever since my older siblings were little.

I do my fair share of baking, but since my boyfriend moved in I just haven't found the time to do much. I used to bake him treats a lot before, so cookies and muffins are my specialty. But since I don't like to be watched while baking, living together resulted in less goodies for him. ;)

I also sometimes do decorative cakes for birthdays and such. Nothing fancy, but I like to model figures from marzipan or fondant. I'm so looking forward to my new, big, shiny kitchen. I might finally have enough room to actually clad my cakes in fondant.

Yesterday I decided to do some impromptu baking. Since we did not have any butter or margarine I decided on muffins. I just threw everything in that we had, which resulted in chocolate -hazelnut -lemon muffins. It sounds strange, but the lemon actually adds a nice fresh layer to the earthiness of the nuts and chocolate.

I'm waiting for my butternut squash cake to finish baking. I followed a carrot cake recipe that had yougurt and oil instead of melted butter/margarine. Steamed mash squash replaced the carrots and I've added mixed spice. I've made this on many occasions, its delicious. At Christmas I bake some upside down pear cake using demerara sugar so it ends up all golden. Sometimes I have cherries in the center of the pear slices. I also make a luscious dark chocolate cake using pure cocoa powder and yogurt as well the usual butter, eggs flour and sugar. I've been baking since I was 12.

I made my first recipe from Jo Wheatley's A Passion for Baking today, the Cinnamon and Sugar Popovers, only I left out the cinnamon in the coating as my kids aren't big fans. They were actually very nice though I think I should either use popover tins next time or put less in the muffin cases. I'd also serve them with vanilla ice cream..  Here's how they came out.

alq39w.jpg

Those look good :)

• 4 years later...

Thought I'd resurrect this thread since I actually baked something yesterday! :o  As we've been mostly stuck inside due to the snow, I decided to dig out my cake tin and make a Chocolate Guinness Cake.  It's from Nigella's Feast book (and is on her website too), and I've made it a few times before and know it's easy to make and delicious.  We had a slice for dessert last night and it was gorgeous, if I do say so myself! :D 

ChocolateGuinnessCake.jpg