Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger

Readwine

Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger

Brief Summary from Amazon:

Her Fearful Symmetry is a haunting tale about the complications of love, identity, and sibling rivalry. The novel opens with the death of Elspeth Noblin, who bequeaths her London flat and its contents to the twin daughters of her estranged twin sister back in Chicago. These 20-year-old dilettantes, Julie and Valentina, move to London, eager to try on a new experience like one of their obsessively matched outfits. Historic Highgate Cemetery, which borders Elspeth's home, serves as an inspired setting as the twins become entwined in the lives of their neighbors: Elspeth's former lover, Robert; Martin, an agoraphobic, OCD crossword-puzzle creator; and the ethereal Elspeth herself, struggling to adjust to the afterlife.

At the beginning, the novel held my interest completely. Niffenegger

Edited by Michelle
enlarged font changed

Despite all the bad things I have heard about this book I am still going to buy and read it. TTTW was just too good for me not to.

Yeap. That's exactly how I feel. I can't help but think, 'but what if they're all WRONG? What if it's so epic it's beyond the comprehension of mere mortals?!' I know that's not true but a gal can dream. :eek2:

I was very excited to learn Audrey Niffenegger finally had a new book out, but now I'm also dreading to be dissapointed (Same thing happened to me in the past with Donna Tartt's second book). I probably will wait until our library gets a copy (which unfortunately, because I am living in the Netherlands, probably will take ages) and give it a try then.

She was on the weekly book podcast that I listen to and nobody sounded very enthused about it and they hardly talked about her book :D

Is that the Simon Mayo one? I haven't listened to last weeks yet, but I did see they were discussing that book, so I'm interested to see what they make of it.

You can download it in iTunes, or you can go to this website, and follow the instructions to download it http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/books or you could listen to the whole programme again on the iPlayer http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00n7j1z/Simon_Mayo_15_10_2009/ but the book reviews are usually at least an hour into the programme, sometimes two.

Is that the Simon Mayo one? I haven't listened to last weeks yet, but I did see they were discussing that book, so I'm interested to see what they make of it.

Yes, I only listen to the book review podcast. I don't listen to the whole show. I really love it and have been listening to it for quite a while now :D

I hope I didn't spoil anything for you by mentioning that :s