Oh Oh - My turn to pick book group's next read...

Sorry if this is cheeky - my reading group have asked me to pick the next book, and I have no clue what to pick! The few suggestions I had didn't seem to be met with any great enthusiasm! (Maybe I should join a new group????)

Anyway, we'd like something quite contemporary, with ideas we can discuss (the last few choices seemed a bit lightweight and descended into discussions about the kids, schools....).

One book we did all enjoy was Notes from an Exhibition by Patrick Gale, so something else of a similar ilk would be great....

Your help is MUCH appreciated! :D

Hi Ravenwood

How are you? :D

How about The Apothecary's House by Adrian Mathews :D:D

When an old woman storms into the Rijks Museum demanding the return of her painting, archivist Ruth Braams cannot quell her curiosity. Together with Myles, her gay confidant, Ruth delves into the history of the piece of looted Nazi art and discovers an enigmatic picture with a disturbing wartime provenance. It also appears that the elderly Lydia is not the only claimant and, against strict bureau regulations, Ruth endeavours to help strengthen her case. Days later, Ruth begins to receive sinister anonymous threats, warning her to stay away from Lydia and the painting. When the door of her home, a houseboat on the Bloemgracht canal, is covered in graffiti and her gas supply tampered with, Ruth is convinced these are deterrents from the rival claimant. Our irrepressible and emotionally troubled heroine refuses to take them at face value and continues to strike up a friendship with the lonely old lady. But as the threats escalate, Ruth realises that there must be far more to the painting's popularity, and she enters into a series of increasingly lethal adventures as she investigates the painting's secret symbolism...

:D

HAve a look in our Reading Circle Fast Finder - a list of all the books we've read in the Reading Circle here at BCF.Cclick on any of the titles and you will be taken straight to that discussion thread which begins with a synopsis of the book in question. Hopefully you should be able to find something there that fits the bill and has plenty of discussion points. :friends0:

One book we did all enjoy was Notes from an Exhibition by Patrick Gale, so something else of a similar ilk would be great....

Maybe take a look at Emotional Geology or A Lifetime Burning by Linda Gillard? That latter should raise a good discussion!

Crazy As Chocolate by Elisabeth Hyde would also be a good comparison to Notes from an Exhibition.

I've written reading guides for all 3 of my novels which I can email, but the books that provoke most discussion are EMOTIONAL GEOLOGY (which deals with the relationship between mental illness and creativity) and - if you're prepared for a blood-on-the-carpet type discussion :eek2: - A LIFETIME BURNING.

It will descend into another discussion about kids and school, but for completely different reasons. I'd recommend Vernon God Little, by DBC Pierre.

From Amazon:

Teenager Vernon Gregory Little's life has been changed by the Columbine-style slaughter of a group of students at his high school. Soon his hole-in-the-wall town is blanketed under a media siege, and Vernon finds himself blamed for the killing (rather than the real culprit, a friend of Vernon's). Eulalio Ledesma is his particular nemesis, manipulating things so that Vernon becomes the fulcrum for the bizarre and vengeful impulses of the townspeople of Martirio.

Don't let the subject matter put you off, this Booker prize winner is a deeply black satire and a thought provoking read, and one that should generate plenty of discussion!

Edited by Raven