Reading suggestions for the OH!

Hi everyone.

I'm hoping someone out there will be able to help.

After 12 years of being together, my OH has just started to 'be interested' in reading!! Mainly forced into the activity due to the new hobby of caravanning- which, due to the summer(???) weather didn't leave him much option!!

I introduced him to C J Sansoms' books, and he really enjoyed these, but I'm out of ideas for him now!!

The problem is, he's dyslexic, and reading doesn't come easily for him. He gets frustrated when there are too many characters to keep track of, and if the plot doesn't follow a 'straight' timeline.

I don't think the genre will matter- it would be good to introduce new areas ,- but I've tried 'my' favourite of sci-fi/fantasy and these just didn't work for him.

Anyone out there have any suggested reading???

Cheers in advance.......Northernnutter.

Hmm, the first one that comes to mind is Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. There are only two main characters and it covers a short period of time. It's a short read and the language is pretty easy. It's one of my favourite ever books. :D

Hmm, the first one that comes to mind is Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck. There are only two main characters and it covers a short period of time. It's a short read and the language is pretty easy. It's one of my favourite ever books. :friends0:

Yes I would suggest that. My OH is Dyslexic and struggle with books. He has read Mice and Men.

He always tells me he finds it easier to read books when he has watched the adaptations first.

He has finished reading some of The True Blood (Sookie Stackhouse series) Becuase he watched the show and they are easy short reads.

Also he found The Da Vinci code fairly easy to read. He started it a couple weeks and finished it last night.

He is reading the first Dexter book and says that he is finding the wording ok for him.

He really is not a book fiend at all and it has only been the last few months were his love for books has arisen.

I hope this helps.

CW

The problem is, he's dyslexic, and reading doesn't come easily for him.
Sounds to me like your OH might benefit from audiobooks.

My OH (who isn't dyslexic; he simply wasn't brought up as a reader) for example is having the most tremendous fun listening to Stephen Fry read Douglas Adams's The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy while we browse the internet on our respective computers. He sniggers away at all the right bits and when a file selection ends he always asks for "more!"

Hitchhiker's itself might not be suited to your OH as there are a lot of jumps between characters and locations; still there's loads of audiobooks out there so I'm sure you'll find the right one :friends0::friends0:!