Amazon pre-ordering?

lexiepiper

Has anyone pre-ordered from Amazon.co.uk before? I'm basically wondering about when the book is sent, is it sent to arrive on the release date, or is it sent out on the release date?

I do it all the time! It varies with each book, a few come early but most come within a couple of days of the given date. The new Terry Pratchett was due out this week but I got my copy last week, just trying to think of other examples - I preordered the new Juliet Marillier which was due October 2nd but I got it on September 24th, the new Rachel Allen cookbook I got the day it was due out and the New Moon Film Guide came the day before it was due :D

I suspect it depends on the publisher - some put an embargo on very popular books (The Lost Symbol for example, or Harry Potter), and retailers and other media sources can receive quite hefty fines for breaking it.

I have done this once or twice, generally the book arrives just before or on the day, and sometimes if you pay full price for a book then it is discounted amazon refund the difference.

• 7 months later...
I do it all the time! It varies with each book, a few come early but most come within a couple of days of the given date. The new Terry Pratchett was due out this week but I got my copy last week, just trying to think of other examples - I preordered the new Juliet Marillier which was due October 2nd but I got it on September 24th, the new Rachel Allen cookbook I got the day it was due out and the New Moon Film Guide came the day before it was due :smile2:

^Ditto to what Fi says Lexie, it depends on the book, so good times hen :irked:

• 8 months later...

I've pre-ordered books quite a bit. Sometimes it arrives on the day it comes out, and sometimes a few days later. It seems they do try to time it to arrive on it's release date. As posted above it varies a little. I do like Amazon [uS] guaranteed lowest price too. If you order the book sometimes the price goes down after wards, and Amazon will honor the lowest price. I've saved several dollars at times, as with the latest pre-order, Heartstone.