Olympic Challenge - What is it?

Michelle

No, that's useful because it's what I was coming around to thinking about Greenland myself after Googling (I don't know why I didn't think of Wiki - I look at that site at least 244,715,841 times a day usually :blush: ).

Thanks for the list of Icelandic authors - the problem is finding one who is a) translated into English, and :) enjoyable!

Still I have about 240 other countries to do as well, so there's no rush! :lol:

Cheers, Chrissy. :D

i've already mentioned this on janets's thread, but this month there is an anthology of short stories being published, in english, from around 30 countries in Europe, including Iceland, Lichtenstein, Croatia, Bosnia, Albania. its called 'Best European Fiction 2010. Looks like a goldmine for this challenge. If you look on google books you can read a few of the stories. So far I've snagged Albania, Bulgaria, Croatia. Also for Africa google African writing online - lots of short stories from various authors born in African countries - that gave me Zambia and Sudan amongst others. Good Luck!!!:D

hope short stories count LOL

Edited by sirinrob

• 8 months later...

I've already mentioned this on janets's thread, but this month there is an anthology of short stories being published, in english, from around 30 countries in Europe, including Iceland, Lichtenstein, Croatia, Bosnia, Albania. its called 'Best European Fiction 2010. Looks like a goldmine for this challenge. If you look on google books you can read a few of the stories. So far I've snagged Albania, Bulgaria, Croatia. Also for Africa google African writing online - lots of short stories from various authors born in African countries - that gave me Zambia and Sudan amongst others. Good Luck!!!:D

hope short stories count LOL

I sure hope Short Stories count! Several of us at Bookcrossing relied on them. I even stooped a few times to cookbooks, online story collections, and worse yet-Travel Guides.

The tricky part of this challenge was the fact that a country did not have to be reckognized by the UN to be on the list. What they had to have was an Olympic Committee. Scotland for example was not on the list. It seemed wrong to me to skip such a print-rich nation just because they didn't field their own team. So, I read for them because I wanted to. Also, it seemed insane for me to only read one Russian title. Some places have too much to choose from to select just one..so I doubled up..or quadrupled in Russia's case.

• 1 year later...

I'm not the one to read from lists but if you guys find some particular good book from across the world I'm very open to suggestions :D I've only read a very small amount of books from Africa and the middle east. I'm sure they are writing its just so seldom that it gets translated and sold here up north.

If you can get hold of them, I've read and really enjoyed The Screaming of the Innocent by Unity Dow (Botswana) and The Voluptuous Delights of Peanut Butter and Jam by Lauren Lindenberg (Zimbabwe) for my world challenge, and enjoyed them both. :)

This is the 'blurb'. :)

Nyree and Cia live on a remote farm in the east of what was Rhodesia in the late 1970s. Beneath the dripping vines of the Vumba rainforest, and under the tutelage of their heretical grandfather, theirs is a seductive childhood laced with African paganism, mangled Catholicism and the lore of the Brothers Grimm. Their world extends as far as the big fence, erected to keep out the 'Terrs' whom their father is off fighting. The two girls know little beyond that until the arrival from the outside world of 'the bastard', their orphaned cousin Ronin, who is to poison their idyll for ever.

• 1 year later...