The Third Policeman - Flann OBrien

sirinrob

This was the second novel that Brian O'Nolan (under the pseudonym Flann O'Brien. This novel had a checkered history, being rejected 'as too fantastic' by his exisiting publisher and rejected by other publishers. Having been rejected, O'Brien put around stories that the manuscripit had been lost, but in reality he had kept hold of it. It was eventually published a year after his death. Its suppression does give rise to speculation - I think he did so to avoid the censure of the Irish establishment, given he was a civil servant a favourable post at the time.

In comparison to 'At-Two -Birds -Swim', this novel at the start does not appear to be so radical. However it that impression is swiftly dispelled. The protagnist has a unusual relationship with John Divinity, which culminates with him being accessory to a murder for the contents of a mysterious black box. Three years after the murder, The protagnist goes to retrieve the box, only yo be catapulted into a parallel universe, in which the physical laws seem to be distorted. Added to this is a rural policeforce that seem obsessed with bycycles, to the extent they fabricate thefts of bycycles. also they indulge in strange activities which take physical concepts to extreme lengths , for example inmfinitely nested boxes. The protagonist gets caught up in the general mayhem ., even to being condemend to being hung.

The language is playful and well crafted. There are several memorable lines , for example 'Thats an insoluble pancake'. The situations that arise are wryly amusing and itellectually challenging. There is a minor amount of violence , but no sex. If I have one criticisment, it is regarding the literay joke regarding footnotes. There is a wry comment early in the novel viz: 'footnotes are like books on the lower shelf people dont read them as they have to bend down'. Now O'Brien takes that by the scruff of the neck and in the second half he creates footnotes that effectively take up most of a page. First time its amusing - but scond time round i found it irksome.

Notwithstanding a minor criticism , I enjoyed the novel and intend rereading. If you approach the novel with an open mind and willigness to suspend disbelief then I believe you will find it rewarding.