Authors' past catalogues: snobism?

Am I being snobbish?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Am I being snobbish?

• Yes, get over yourself.
    • No, you're just being coherent.

One of the dates I've jotted down in my author-meeting diary is October 10th, when Forbidden Planet will be hosting the launch of Angry Robot books - one of the books which will be available for signing, Dan Abnett's Triumff: Her Majesty's Hero sounded right up my street with its promise of unadulterated swashbuckling fun.

However, it has come to my attention that most of Abnett's work to date consists of Warhammer novels. Is it snobbish of me that this knowledge is putting me off? As a general rule, I tend not to read books based on films, series and games. Am I keeping true to my reading criteria here, or could I possibly be closing myself off from the discovery of a new beloved author?

Please advise.

As this would seem to be his first attempt at an original novel, then it could signal an attempt to break away from his Warhammer background. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt and see where it leads. From what I've been able to glean you dont need any knowledge of his back catalogue. This is light in touch and comic, in contrast to his dark grim style in connection with Warhammer ( something I detest by the way).

Found an excerpt here. Reading that reminds of the 'Sot-Weed Factor' by Johanathan Barth which is in itself extremely funny.

Edited by sirinrob

If his latest sounds right up your street, get it and don't worry about what else he's written. :lol: You don't have to buy those. And a lot of authors change direction.