The Vampire Diaries

Kell

For those lamenting the end of True Blood Season 2 and in need of a bit more vampire action, there's another vampy series currently on - The Vampire Diaries, based on the books by L J Smith.

I've not seen any of it yet, but hubby is getting hold of the episodes that have screened so far (3 episodes) and I'll be watching them shortly to see if they're any good. I've not read the books, so I'll have nothing to compare it with, but I'll let you know what I think of it, and perhaps I'll end up getting the books too...

Has anyone seen any of this show yet and care to comment?

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen the first episode. I haven't read the Twilight/Sookie series or seen True Blood so I have nothing to compare it to (although, knowing what little I know of Twilight, I think others would notice similarities).

I thought it was OK. Good enough that I'll be taping next week's episode as well. But I wouldn't be devastated if I missed it.

Does anyone know if it is being shown/going to be shown on UK tv at any point? I think this might help cover the gap of True Blood. I have nearly a full series of Moonlight to watch too. I don't know if that's any good, looks kind of along the lines of Angel.

I've read the first 2 books and have seen all the episodes of Vampire Diaries so far, and think the show is quite good. It's darker, and there's a suspense element for sure. If anyone is interested, the show is done by Kevin Williamson, who also did the Scream movies and Dawson's Creek. I guess it's kind of a mix of the two actually except with vampires :D. You know, teenage angst but with a scary side. I also am obviously not opposed to ogling gorgeous vamp guys, of course :lol:.

Stephanie, I have a friend who liked Moonlight, although I never saw it. She did force me however to watch a series from the early 90's that she had all on tape called 'Forever Knight.' It was pretty good, although kind of hard to get over the cheesy special effects :blush:.

I'd agree with Peacefield. I've seen all the eps and read the original 4 books, and would say without hesitation the tv show is better. The books are very teen orientated, and I struggled with them even though I normally enjoy teen books. The show has a much more 'adult' feel to it, as in it's not just bitchy kids like in the books.

I saw the first episode of The Vampire Diaries and liked it but forgot to watch it last week....

Stephanie, I have a friend who liked Moonlight, although I never saw it. She did force me however to watch a series from the early 90's that she had all on tape called 'Forever Knight.' It was pretty good, although kind of hard to get over the cheesy special effects :blush:.

Forever Knight - Oh my goodness that takes me back. I think it was set in Toronto. It was really quite fun.:D I also liked Moonlight - too bad it was canceled.

I'm interested in how this turns out. Read the books as a teenager and have forgotton details but i'm intrigued. :D

Does anyone know if it is being shown/going to be shown on UK tv at any point? I think this might help cover the gap of True Blood. I have nearly a full series of Moonlight to watch too. I don't know if that's any good, looks kind of along the lines of Angel.

I watched Moonlight online before it came out in the UK and adored it :blush:

I was glad to see it being shown here on telly eventually so others could appreciate it. It was a shame it got cancelled :lol: Must buy dvd.

Forever Knight was fun, Blithe; that's great you've seen it! My friend was pretty involved in it, to the point that i think she even went to a convention! I did enjoy it though, and liked the main guy :blush:. Oh, and I always liked the police chief in the first couple seasons, since he is a really great actor who was in that movie 'Smoke Signals.'

Forever Knight was fun, Blithe; that's great you've seen it! My friend was pretty involved in it, to the point that i think she even went to a convention! I did enjoy it though, and liked the main guy :mrgreen:'

I had a crush on him too, Peacefield - the hunky Geraint Wyn Davies was the main reason I watched! :blush:

Well, I watched the first episode tonight but I won't be bothering with the rest of it as I thought it was incredibly dull - exactly like Dawson's Creek meets Twilight. Unfortunately, I detested Dawson's Creek and Twilight was only passingly OK from my point of view (although the film was a whole heap better than the book). So, I shall have to find something else to fill the gap left by True Blood as this definitely does not fit the bill for me after all. :lol:

• 3 months later...

I like the TV series and where it's headed. If writers continue to work on it and improve, it could really stand out on it's own. Not sure about comparisons to True Blood. I see them as completely different shows, not meant to be compared. True Blood is interesting but that's about it imo. I'd rather watch a series like Vampire Diaries and see it strive to reach it's full potential.

Edited by Capture

Cool! I've never watched as much tv as I will be over the next few months. So far there's Glee, America's Next Top Model and The Bible: A History. True Blood starts soon and now Vampire Diaries too.......Will I get any reading done? :D

Me too.....there's just nothing that really grips me at the moment (after 9 installments of Eric Northman it's hard to find anything as interesting! :D)

I was intrigued by The Vampire Diaries novels but I think I'll see how the tv show goes first.

They are still only half way through the 1st season in America, so ITV are starting at the beginning :) I am up to date with the American episodes and I am enjoying it. It isn't brilliant, but I still like it enough to continue watching. It will be nice to have people to talk about it with.

Oooooh I've just watched the first two episodes and thought they were ok :D Did anyone else watch them?

Yes, in the US, we're on the 11th or 12th episode i believe. But it picks up after the 4th episode and more of the side characters are better developed after the 5th. Very interesting relevations to come. Keep watching! :roll:

Yes, in the US, we're on the 11th or 12th episode i believe. But it picks up after the 4th episode and more of the side characters are better developed after the 5th. Very interesting relevations to come. Keep watching! :D

Will do Capture :roll: I'm looking forward to it all unfolding!

I watched the 1st 2 episodes this morning. I wouldn't say I was particularly blown away but I will keep watching and I'm sure I will get into it after a couple more episodes and knowing the characters more. It's definitely darker than twilight but they are a lot of similarities. Boy meets girl, boy is a vampire, boy and girl like each other, boy doesn't feed on humans anymore...and thats pretty much as far as its got.