Comedy Fiction books?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, this thread is kind of old, but I will make some suggestions anyway.

I agree with Douglas Adams Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series and the Christopher Moore books.

I would also add Tom Robbins. Still Life With Woodpecker, Another Roadside Attraction, Skinny Legs and All, and Jitterbug Perfume are all good ones.

Another good one is Freddy and Fredricka by Mark Helprin.

There is a wonderful mystery/romantic comedy series out called the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich. There are 16 books in the series so far (and more to come). I highly reccomend them! Everyone I know who has read it is addicted.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I've just finished studying and now want to read a good funny novel thats gonna make me laugh out loud....a good change from serious studying lol

Any suggestions???

I havent read too many novels so no matter how old or popular your suggestions are please let me know cs more than likely i havent read them.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum. :lol:

I've moved this to a more appropriate forum for book suggestions. :lol: I'm sure you'll get lots of ideas.

As it was posted in the 'Women's Fiction / Chick Lit' forum, I presume that's the genre you're most interested in?

If you like funny (light) fantasy, try anything by Tom Holt. I read "You Don't Have To Be Evil To Work Here But It Helps" not long ago, and it had me in stitches.

There's also "Gods Behaving Badly" by Marie Phillips. I stole this synopsis from Amazon:

Being immortal isn't all it's cracked up to be. Life's hard for a Greek god in the 21st century: nobody believes in you any more, even your own family doesn't respect you, and you're stuck in a delapidated hovel in north London with too many siblings and not enough hot water. But for Artemis (goddess of hunting, professional dog walker), Aphrodite (goddess of beauty, telephone sex operator) and Apollo (god of the sun, TV psychic) there's no way out...Until a meek cleaner and her would-be boyfriend come into their lives, and turn the world literally upside down. "Gods Behaving Badly" is that rare thing, a charming, funny, utterly original first novel that satisfies the head and the heart.

Any of the Monty Python books are laugh-out-loud funny in parts (though I've never found one which can maintain the comedy level throughout), and Nicholson Baker's books have me grinning from ear to ear (warning: some of his output is sexual in nature, so if you're easily shocked then it may not be for you). Oh, and there is an excellent Bill Hicks biography with heavy doses of his stand-up material reprinted. Highly recommended.

ETA: Liar by Stephen Fry. Anything at all by Julie Burchill (love her or loathe her, she has the ability to write some genuinely comedic lines).

Edited by BigWords

Pratchett's books always get me laughing! Specially at moments I don't expect when I'm sitting in public, which ocassionally draws bemused looks. If you've not given any of the Discworld series a stab, and you like a sort of non-serious science-fiction/fantasy satire of the universe - definitely worth a try!

I've got one more suggestion. It's the book I'm reading at the moment, Retromancer by Robert Rankin. There's something insanely funny about it, but it's hard to describe what it is. I think it's just the way James (main character) talks and the things he says... it's funny! ;)

I was reading it on the train this morning and it's a good job I was the only one in the carriage or I would have got some really weird looks! :lol:

Corduroy Mansions by Alexander McCall Smith really cheered me up!!

It won't let me put the link in but it's all the ws then alexandermccallsmithbooks.co.uk and click on Corduroy Mansions on the left to get a great intro to the book and the characters.