Comedy Fiction books?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few favourites of mine include:

Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens

Terry Pratchett, any Discworld book (Wyrd Sisters, Soul Music and Maskerade are the best I've read so far)

Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (+ 4 sequels, but not to worry, they're all fairly short & you can get them all in one book)

Edited by BookJumper

Anything by Danny Wallace - he makes everything seem light-hearted and fun as well as coming across as someone you could really have as a mate! :irked:

Not fiction, but still incredibly funny. :roll:

Edited by Kell

I'd second Bill Bryson - particularly Notes From a Big Country.

Tom Sharpe - Porterhouse Blue etc.

H.E. Bates - Darling Buds of May (maybe not laugh out loud, but should put a smile on your face :blush: )

I'm sure we've had threads like this before but I did a search and couldn't find any.

I'd recommend (in order):

Who Goes Here - Bob Shaw (comic sci-fi)

The Tin Men - Michael Frayn (set in an office)

The Adrian Mole books by Sue Townsend (teenage angst)

High Fidelity - Nick Hornby (male angst)

Olivia Joules and the Overactive Imagination - Helen Fielding (a female journalists silly adventure)

There are probably loads of others but I can't remember them.

The Adrian Mole books by Sue Townsend

The Discworld books by Terry Pratchett

Around Ireland with a Fridge by Tony Hawks

The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams

Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons. :blush:

Also anything by Jasper Fforde since I'm always continually laughing out loud at his wonderful works.
I'd second, third and fourth anything by Jasper but would affix the clause, if you've got a smattering of classics - I've heard from people who were every bit as confused as I was delighted, because they didn't get any of the jokes.

How about the Adrian Mole books? They never fail to make me laugh.

Another book which made me laugh out loud loads of times was Forrest Gump, by Winston Groom. Don't go into it expecting it to be similar to the movie - it's very different, but very funny too.

hello guys,

i got 2 comedy books, one by a New Zealand writer called 'Two Little Boys' and have read over half the book now, it is absolutely hilarious and i got 'Rock Bottom' which is about a rock band who failed miserably to get famous and are making a comeback its by an author called Michael Shilling... not read any of the 2nd book yet but will let you know how it goes... thanks for the advice at the mo am staying with a friend in Denmark so am a little unsure where to get books lol. these 2 look good for now!!!

A few favourites of mine include:

Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens

Terry Pratchett, any Discworld book (Wyrd Sisters, Soul Music and Maskerade are the best I've read so far)

Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (+ 4 sequels, but not to worry, they're all fairly short & you can get them all in one book)

Basically everything I would say too.

I've only recently read Hitchhikers Guide and since, I have been recommending it to absolutely everyone I know! I am yet to read the 3rd book onwards but can't wait!

Up to and including The Wilderness Years I agree, I think she should have stopped after that one. Just got far too crazy IMO.

That's interesting, as I haven't read past that one. It's a shame sometimes when a great series just gets dragged on for too long. I'm sure there's a new Adrian Mole book out too - unless I've imagined that.

That's interesting, as I haven't read past that one. It's a shame sometimes when a great series just gets dragged on for too long. I'm sure there's a new Adrian Mole book out too - unless I've imagined that.

There were two after that I believe. I read the first one and was disappointed - okay the whole series is basically farce, but she'd taken it too far. She had him basically 'getting over' Pandora, with a lovely new girlfriend....and then she tore him to pieces again. Made me think...does she really hate this character or what?:D

Dunno if there will be any more, considering, isn't she registered blind now?