Good Jane Austen offshoots...

... because, let's face it, there just is so many prequels and sequels and diaries and variations out there! I know some of you have read a couple so I was looking to find out which ones you think are well-written and worthwhile, keeping in mind that:

- even more so than usual, I'd like little to no steam. More so than usual because these are such favourite characters, it would be like walking in on my sister or something. Ew, no. Jane's books take us back to a day where you waited and sighed your way through a book just to get to an embrace and a kiss, I'd like that preserved. In Susan Kaye's Captain Wentworth books, for example, there's another woman - but the Captain Wentworth I know and love would never have touched another woman if you were poking him with a red-hot poker. That is, er, kinda the whole pint of Captain Wentworth.

- I don't mind dead people in my Austen, so long as they're ingeniously written in. But again, the options are so many. Pride & Prejudice and Zombies by Seth Grahame-Smith and Mr Darcy, Vampire by Amanda Grange are just the tip of the iceberg, and I've read such mixed review even just of those two that I don't know what to think.

Thanking you :motz:!

Having just read and enjoyed P&P&Z, and currently enjoying Mr Darcy, Vampyre, the only other one I've read is Pemberley which is pretty decent and has no smut at all - very faithful to the spirit of P&P (so no steam!).

If you can forgive the fact that it is 60% Austen and 40% tentacled chaos 'Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters' is diverting fare!

"As she lay gasping on the bank, soaked by the fetid water and the foul juices of the monster, spitting small bits of brain and gore from the corners of her mouth, a gentleman clad in a diving costume and helmet, and carrying a harpoon gun, ran to her assistance," :blush:

I'd like to read Mr Darcy, Vampyre...but have to ask, do you have to read Pride and Prejudice before to know what it's about, or is it a similar story with a gothic twist?? I know, i'm ashamed I haven't read it either, it's on my list I swear! :blush:

Probably be best if you read P&P first before reading any related/sequel/spin-off/parodies to get the full effect. And P&P really is an excellent book in its own right. :blush: