• Announcements

• Hayley

Something Wicked This Way Comes...   10/09/2019

The Autumn Supporter Giveaway!       Welcome to the very first of the seasonal BCF supporter giveaways! This month also marks one year since I took on the forum, so I want to say an extra huge thank you to all of you for keeping this place going. I have a little bit more to say about that later but, for now, let's get to the giveaway!     The Autumn Giveaway winner will be getting two Penguin Little Black Classics, The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe and To Be Read At Dusk by Charles Dickens. Both of these little books contain three atmospheric short stories, perfect for autumnal evenings. The winner will also get Mary Shelley tea (a lavender and vanilla black tea) from Rosie Lea Tea's Literary Tea Collection (https://www.rosieleatea.co.uk/collections/literary-tea-collection) and a chocolate skull, to really get that spooky atmosphere .   and...   A special treat for a special month. The winner will choose one of the following recent paperback releases from the independent bookshop Big Green Bookshop:       The Wych Elm by Tana French A House of Ghosts by W.C. Ryan Melmoth by Sarah Perry The Familiars by Stacey Halls  The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White   The winner will be chosen via the usual random selection process in one week. Patreon supporters are entered automatically. If you aren't a patreon supporter but you'd like to join in with this giveaway, you can support here: https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum.   I really hope you're all going to like this introduction to the seasonal giveaways. It's been a lot of fun to put together. Other chocolate skulls may have been harmed during the selection process…     
BookJumper

Oscar Wilde, ACTUALLY Complete Works?

It happened as I was dissertationing - I discovered that my supposed Complete Works of Oscar Wilde (Midpoint Press, 2001) is not so, as it only contains the short magazine-version of The Portrait of Mr W.H. as opposed to the longer book-version. Supposedly, this version became "standard" (Vyvyan Holland's word) in the 1950's, when Collins published it in their version of the Complete Works.

Now, I don't particularly want to get the Collins, as I find their books to be rather ugly and cheaply produced. What I would like to know is if anyone can recommend a slightly nicer ACTUALLY Complete Works? I've tried having a snoop around on Amazon but it's hard to tell which edition contains what.

Thanking you muchly in advance.

Here we go ~

Click here for Fantastic Fiction

^ Here is a collection of this witty and irreverent author's works--all in their most authoritative texts. Includes The Picture of Dorian Gray, The Importance of Being Earnest, and other stories and essays.

Amazon ~ Click here

Amazon ~ Click here :motz:

First one of those is the complete but unattractive Collins, the second is the new Collector's Library edition which (if it's anything like the old Collector's Library edition) is incomplete.

Click here for Fantastic Fiction

^ Here is a collection of this witty and irreverent author's works--all in their most authoritative texts. Includes The Picture of Dorian Gray, The Importance of Being Earnest, and other stories and essays.

I like the sound of this though - authoritative is good. Plus it's pink and has a pretty picture of Oscar on the front, what more could I want?

Thanking you :motz:, I hope FF does not lie.

It happened as I was dissertationing -

Unfortunately I have nothing to add about Oscar Wilde, but I had to say that I love the fact you've invented a new verb. Nice one! :motz:

Unfortunately I have nothing to add about Oscar Wilde, but I had to say that I love the fact you've invented a new verb. Nice one!
Thank you. Someone has to neologise, I always say; else, how would the English language ever evolve?

First one of those is the complete but unattractive Collins, the second is the new Collector's Library edition which (if it's anything like the old Collector's Library edition) is incomplete.

I like the sound of this though - authoritative is good. Plus it's pink and has a pretty picture of Oscar on the front, what more could I want?

Thanking you :motz:, I hope FF does not lie.

If you click on the Amazon link on the FF page it takes you to the Collins one with the unattractive cover, not a pretty pink one. :smile2:

If you click on the Amazon link on the FF page it takes you to the Collins one with the unattractive cover, not a pretty pink one. :D
:lol::smile2::D! Thanks for the warning :motz:.

Ironic, isn't it, to package the complete works of the archetypal aesthete between ugly covers... :roll:.

It looks like there is a new edition coming out next year http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/displayProductDetails.do?sku=6933309. No details on the booksellers site yet, but it might be worth doing a bit more investigation (and it's purple, just for you BookJumper!)
Gyre linked me to that one; I'm keeing a suspicious eye on it. Suspicious because the previous complete works from the Collector's Library isn't (complete).

It's ok, I am still keeping an eye on it - one can always hope that the reason they're reissuing is to add the bits that were missing...!

:D:smile2::lol:! Thanks for the warning :motz:.

Ironic, isn't it, to package the complete works of the archetypal aesthete between ugly covers... :D.

No problem. :roll:

And the irony of it didn't escape me either - there are far nicer covers they could have given it!