Oscar Wilde, ACTUALLY Complete Works?

It happened as I was dissertationing - I discovered that my supposed Complete Works of Oscar Wilde (Midpoint Press, 2001) is not so, as it only contains the short magazine-version of The Portrait of Mr W.H. as opposed to the longer book-version. Supposedly, this version became "standard" (Vyvyan Holland's word) in the 1950's, when Collins published it in their version of the Complete Works.

Now, I don't particularly want to get the Collins, as I find their books to be rather ugly and cheaply produced. What I would like to know is if anyone can recommend a slightly nicer ACTUALLY Complete Works? I've tried having a snoop around on Amazon but it's hard to tell which edition contains what.

Thanking you muchly in advance.

Here we go ~

Click here for Fantastic Fiction

^ Here is a collection of this witty and irreverent author's works--all in their most authoritative texts. Includes The Picture of Dorian Gray, The Importance of Being Earnest, and other stories and essays.

Amazon ~ Click here

Amazon ~ Click here :motz:

First one of those is the complete but unattractive Collins, the second is the new Collector's Library edition which (if it's anything like the old Collector's Library edition) is incomplete.

Click here for Fantastic Fiction

^ Here is a collection of this witty and irreverent author's works--all in their most authoritative texts. Includes The Picture of Dorian Gray, The Importance of Being Earnest, and other stories and essays.

I like the sound of this though - authoritative is good. Plus it's pink and has a pretty picture of Oscar on the front, what more could I want?

Thanking you :motz:, I hope FF does not lie.

It happened as I was dissertationing -

Unfortunately I have nothing to add about Oscar Wilde, but I had to say that I love the fact you've invented a new verb. Nice one! :motz:

Unfortunately I have nothing to add about Oscar Wilde, but I had to say that I love the fact you've invented a new verb. Nice one!
Thank you. Someone has to neologise, I always say; else, how would the English language ever evolve?

First one of those is the complete but unattractive Collins, the second is the new Collector's Library edition which (if it's anything like the old Collector's Library edition) is incomplete.

I like the sound of this though - authoritative is good. Plus it's pink and has a pretty picture of Oscar on the front, what more could I want?

Thanking you :motz:, I hope FF does not lie.

If you click on the Amazon link on the FF page it takes you to the Collins one with the unattractive cover, not a pretty pink one. :smile2:

If you click on the Amazon link on the FF page it takes you to the Collins one with the unattractive cover, not a pretty pink one. :D
:lol::smile2::D! Thanks for the warning :motz:.

Ironic, isn't it, to package the complete works of the archetypal aesthete between ugly covers... :roll:.

It looks like there is a new edition coming out next year http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/displayProductDetails.do?sku=6933309. No details on the booksellers site yet, but it might be worth doing a bit more investigation (and it's purple, just for you BookJumper!)
Gyre linked me to that one; I'm keeing a suspicious eye on it. Suspicious because the previous complete works from the Collector's Library isn't (complete).

:D:smile2::lol:! Thanks for the warning :motz:.

Ironic, isn't it, to package the complete works of the archetypal aesthete between ugly covers... :D.

No problem. :roll:

And the irony of it didn't escape me either - there are far nicer covers they could have given it!