The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Readwine

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

Brief Summary from Amazon:

Starred Review. What perfect timing for this optimistic, uplifting debut novel set during the nascent civil rights movement in Jackson, Mississippi, where black women were trusted to raise white children but not to polish the household silver. Eugenia “Skeeter” Phelan is just home from college in 1962, and, anxious to become a writer, is advised to hone her chops by writing about what disturbs you. Secretly, the budding social activist begins to collect the stories of the black women on whom the country club sets relies and mistrusts enlisting the help of Aibileen, a maid who's raised 17 children, and Aibileen's best friend Minny, who's found herself unemployed more than a few times after mouthing off to her white employers. The book Skeeter puts together based on their stories is scathing and shocking, bringing pride and hope to the black community, while giving Skeeter the courage to break down her personal boundaries and pursue her dreams. Assured and layered, full of heart and history, this one has bestseller written all over it.

This is an absolutely fabulous book. The three main characters, Skeeter, Minny and Aibileen, each take turns describing events from their perspectives and fears, which makes the reader want to know more, become friends with them, become their secret confidants. The book focuses on the civil rights movement, not through historical fact, but through the trials, tribulations and triumphs of “the help.” Superbly done. Highly recommended.

I give it a 10 out of 10

Edited by Readwine

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I've been hearing lots of good things about this book lately.. I have to admit I saw it in a shop, read the blurb, and put it back down. Maybe I'll give it a go since everyone really seems to love it.

Thanks for the review, Readwine!

• 1 year later...

I have literally just finished this - in readiness to discuss it at my Book Club tonight (talk about flying by the seat of one's pants! :lol: ) and I think this may just be the book to pull my mojo out of the doldrums and restore it to full health - 10/10! :D

^Janet, I am glad to hear that :)

Great review readwine :)

I read 'The Help' in June, here are my thoughts ~

'The Help' is the story of three women, Aibileen, Minny and Skeeter, three women, very different from other each other who come together for a common goal, to try and make a change in Jackson, Mississippi during the 1960s by writing a book about Aibileen, Minny and many other maids stories who are employed as 'help' by various families, their thoughts, their experiences, the highs, the lows and also teaching Skeeter more about the world.

I enjoyed 'The Help', it was such a thought provoking book that showed what it is was like for so many women who worked as maids in the 1960s, how they were treated by so called pillars of the community and also the thoughts of their employees, apparently intelligent people who believed everything they were told. I did find myself getting angry at some of the comments and the actions of one character, who was so unbelievably mean its hard to believe she got away with so much but she did because of her status.

There is so many heartfelt moments in the book especially between the women, how they protect each other, how they care for the children they look after and most importantly how they live their lives, I found it inspiring.

:bookworm:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I finished this 2 days ago and I just don't want to pick another book up yet. I just don't know what I am going to read that can follow that. It was superb. It kept me awake at night.

I think it got under my skin because it was a real story

What I mean is that some books, you have a cast of characters and they each do their thing in the plot but the end effect is like players on a stage, you feel they go home at the end of the book and nobody was really affected by events.

The Help is very different. The characters are being changed by the events taking place and when it is finished nobody can ever be the same.

Simply brilliant. Definitely a women's book though because all the protagonists are women.

I finished this 2 days ago and I just don't want to pick another book up yet. I just don't know what I am going to read that can follow that. It was superb. It kept me awake at night.

I think it got under my skin because it was a real story

What I mean is that some books, you have a cast of characters and they each do their thing in the plot but the end effect is like players on a stage, you feel they go home at the end of the book and nobody was really affected by events.

The Help is very different. The characters are being changed by the events taking place and when it is finished nobody can ever be the same.

Simply brilliant. Definitely a women's book though because all the protagonists are women.

I'm so pleased you enjoyed it vodkafan, the characters were brilliantly written and it showed what it was like for 'The Help' during that time :) and it was great to see them changing. :)

Just finished listening to this, got it as an audio book for my kindle. A great book I was able to imerse myself in. One I will always remember. So sad that the black community was treated so badly by most, but so pleased that things have now changed and will hopefully continue to do so.

Fantastic, brilliant book.

Yes, I read that article somewhere recently.

ETA: Claire posted the link on page 1. :)

Haven't read this (yet) but noticed this article today about the author being sued by a woman who worked as a maid for the authors brother, claiming the character was based on her.

Edited by Janet

• 4 months later...

Hello.

I've just discovered this fab forum! I can never find anyone to chat to about the books I read so this is promising!

Has anyone read 'The Help' by kathryn Stockett. Apparently it's taking the US by storm. Basically it's about Black and White segregation in the US in the 50's and 60's. 'The Help' refers to the black women who worked as housekeepers for white families running the house and bringing up the children whilst having to loose out on the day to day life of their own children.

It's an amazing book and I think one of the best I have read. Anyone else read it?

Many Thanks