Sign in to follow this  
Readwine

Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

Cutting for Stone by Abraham Verghese

Brief Summary from Amazon:

This is a magnificent, sweeping novel that moves from India to Ethiopia to an inner-city hospital in New York City over decades and generations. Sister Mary Joseph Praise, a devout young nun, leaves the south Indian state of Kerala in 1947 for a missionary post in Yemen. During the arduous sea voyage, she saves the life of an English doctor bound for Ethiopia, Thomas Stone, and experiences an awful assault. Later on, these experiences becomes a key moments in her destiny when the nun arrives in Addis Ababa. Seven years later, Sister Praise dies birthing twin boys: Shiva and Marion, the latter narrating his own and his brother

Edited by Readwine

Bump!! Bump!!           This was posted years ago....but I just had to say...this is a Terrific book. One well worth reading.

I read this a few years ago as well, as i remember it took me awhile to get into the story but when i did i really enjoyed it. Does anyone know if he's written anything else?

Thanks Claire, i'll check out his non fiction as one of my resolutions was to try & read more non fiction this year  :smile: