Book based TV/radio prorammes and podcasts

chesilbeach

Does anyone else watch and listen to book programmes and podcasts?

I watch "The Book Show" on Sky Arts, plus I listen to:

BBC Radio 4 - Open Book, A Good Read and Book Club (all through iPlayer)

BBC Five Live - Book reviews on The Daily Mayo (Thursday afternoon via podcast).

BBC Radio 2 - Claudia Winkleman's Arts Show podcast - (often includes a book review or author interview)

If I run out of podcasts to listen to, I'll also download to the ABC Radio National Book Show podcast from Australia, but it's a daily programme, and if I've got other stuff to listen to, I'll probably stop downloading it for a while as I just end up with far too many to keep up with.

I like The Book Quiz on BBC Four, and keep an eye on the BBC Four television schedules as they sometimes have a documentary on a specific book or author, such as recently when one of the "Mark Lawson Talks To ..." programmes was an hour long interview with William Boyd, which was thoroughly enjoyable.

I used to regularly listen to OneWord Radio before it went belly up. It had some great stuff on it and I loved to have it on while I was surfing the net and catching up on the forum. I really miss it, actually. :friends0:

Does anyone else watch and listen to book programmes and podcasts?

I watch "The Book Show" on Sky Arts, plus I listen to:

BBC Radio 4 - Open Book, A Good Read and Book Club (all through iPlayer)

BBC Five Live - Book reviews on The Daily Mayo (Thursday afternoon via podcast).

BBC Radio 2 - Claudia Winkleman's Arts Show podcast - (often includes a book review or author interview)

If I run out of podcasts to listen to, I'll also download to the ABC Radio National Book Show podcast from Australia, but it's a daily programme, and if I've got other stuff to listen to, I'll probably stop downloading it for a while as I just end up with far too many to keep up with.

I like The Book Quiz on BBC Four, and keep an eye on the BBC Four television schedules as they sometimes have a documentary on a specific book or author, such as recently when one of the "Mark Lawson Talks To ..." programmes was an hour long interview with William Boyd, which was thoroughly enjoyable.

I've just started subscribing to 'Books and Authors' podcast from the BBC. I also have the 'Front Row' podcast from Radio 4. I keep forgetting to watch The Book Quiz but enjoy it when I do remember

I used to regularly listen to OneWord Radio before it went belly up. It had some great stuff on it and I loved to have it on while I was surfing the net and catching up on the forum. I really miss it, actually. :friends0:

I used to listen to OneWord too, Kell, and miss it. After it closed down they broadcast birdsong on a sort of loop thing for a while which was nice to listen to as well.

• 7 years later...

I thought I'd resurrect this thread, as I've started to listen to a couple of (new to me) podcasts that I'd thoroughly recommend.

Down The Rabbit Hole is a radio programme dedicated to children's books, from picture books, through middle grade and YA, and is hosted by author Katherine Woodfine.  It's a monthly programme (although there are some longer ones for special occasions I think), and have had lots of great children's authors and illustrators on.  They interview some authors, talk about favourite books on a theme sometimes, review some recent books, and recommend books due to be published in that month.

Secondly, I've started listening to the Book Shambles podcast with Josie Long and Robin Ince.  Each episode they have a guest, which could be an author, comedian, academic, even an astronaut, and they chat to them, and hopefully talk about some of their favourite books.  As the title suggests, it's very unstructured and the discussions can wander all over the place, but books are always at the heart of the discussions.  Just a warning, there can be some swearing and some adult discussions, politics always comes up, and I could totally understand if others hated it, but I really enjoy listening to it.

chelisbeach, I'm a podcast junkie. I find I would rather listen to a podcast than music. There's an app called "castbox" you can download pretty much any type of podcast. I've found some really nice book ones. I'm personally found of those that are centered around the UK. Its something about the podcasters that interest me. I love to imagine I'm doing walks around the country side and visiting ancient ruins. 

I tend to listen to podcasts, audiobooks, or talk radio programmes more than music too!  I used to listen to an American podcast from The Tattered Cover book store who used to podcast interviews with authors, but I must admit, I went through such a long spell of not knowing any of the authors, I gave up.  I might have to go and have a look and see if they're still doing them.  The majority of podcasts I listen to are BBC radio programmes, but I've started looking around a bit more, and the Down The Rabbit Hole and Book Shambles have been my favourites so far :)

• 1 month later...

And ... I've found another book podcast to add to my list!  This time it's Backlisted.  I've only listened to the first one, but it's a group of people discussing an old book they've just found or re-read.  The first episode was all about one of my favourite books, A Month In The Country by J. L. Carr.  :smile2:

• 2 weeks later...

I've listened to a few more Backlisted podcasts and they're brilliant, although I'm adding a huge number of books to my wishlist!  Highly, highly recommended for people interested in discovering books that have maybe been overlooked from the last century, or perhaps lesser well known books from well known authors.