'The Archers'

Ophelia

Yes, me! I love it - I don't watch any soaps on television, but I download The Archers podcast to listen to on my iPod. I must admit that I'm a few weeks behind at the moment, but I actually like to do that occasionally, then when I've got some tedious time-consuming task to do, listen to the whole batch in one go.

Pity there's no 'radio' forum in here. Radio 4 and sometimes 3 promote new authors and of course there's Book At Bedtime.

Anyway, The Archers, cos I saw this thread last night and could only post quickly. Love The Archers, hate the website who seem to spend all day ranting about how Ruth's dialect is "all wrong", that Tom and Brenda are "boring", as is David yeesh you can't get a decent debate from them lot.

I've had a few people rib me about liking listening to it, thinking that it's an old fogey thing, but I think it's great. All sorts of issues are dealt with from the environment to gay weddings - much the same in "ordinary" TV soap operas I would say - and sometimes a darnsight more intelligently :friends0:

Edited by honestfi
...uh just one more thing..

Pity there's no 'radio' forum in here. Radio 4 and sometimes 3 promote new authors and of course there's Book At Bedtime.

Anyway, The Archers, cos I saw this thread last night and could only post quickly. Love The Archers, hate the website who seem to spend all day ranting about how Ruth's dialect is "all wrong", that Tom and Brenda are "boring", as is David yeesh you can't get a decent debate from them lot.

I've had a few people rib me about liking listening to it, thinking that it's an old fogey thing, but I think it's great. All sorts of issues are dealt with from the environment to gay weddings - much the same in "ordinary" TV soap operas I would say - and sometimes a darnsight more intelligently :friends0:

Hi, honestfi. I agree with you about the Archers website. I sometimes pop in there to see what folk are saying but don't linger or post anything myself as I would probably incur their wrath on there as much as they incur mine! I recently went on a course where we discussed writing dialogue and the tutor asked if there were any Archers listeners in the group. People looked around a bit and once one person (rather bashfully) had raised their hand then, slowly, others did the same. There were quite a few of us, I'm pleased to say

Yes, me! I love it - I don't watch any soaps on television, but I download The Archers podcast to listen to on my iPod. I must admit that I'm a few weeks behind at the moment, but I actually like to do that occasionally, then when I've got some tedious time-consuming task to do, listen to the whole batch in one go.

Hi, Chesilbeach. I do the podcast thing, too. I also have something from the BBC that lands in my e-mail inbox each day with a quick update of what happened in the previous episode. It is very useful if I've been away for a few days and need to catch up with events in Ambridge

We're pretty blessed - we have an internet radio. Most times we're both in at 7 Sunday-Friday, so usually listen "live", but sometimes circs dictate that we miss it. No bother, if there's time the following late afternoon, we dial up BBC On Demand and listen to the episode(s) missed. Brilliant.

We're pretty blessed - we have an internet radio. Most times we're both in at 7 Sunday-Friday, so usually listen "live", but sometimes circs dictate that we miss it. No bother, if there's time the following late afternoon, we dial up BBC On Demand and listen to the episode(s) missed. Brilliant.

Crikey, internet radio. When I bought our digital radio recently I saw that Roberts were doing one of these devices. Sounds like it's worth having! I got a DAB radio that you can record programmes on but haven't worked out how to use the programmer thing on it yet!

Crikey, internet radio. When I bought our digital radio recently I saw that Roberts were doing one of these devices. Sounds like it's worth having! I got a DAB radio that you can record programmes on but haven't worked out how to use the programmer thing on it yet!

Sorry, only just spotted this for some reason, or maybe I forgot.:irked:

Anyhoo, my vote is Internet Radio over DAB any day. DAB coverage round here is pretty poor, so it's maybe 7000+ stations (IR) versus 30 (DAB)...aaaaahhmmm...no contest. Course, the disadvantage is that it counts as your monthly 'download' rate for all the hours you have it switched on. Therefore, I have to have unlimited download, which fortunately my ISP provides. We have a LOGIC Internet Radio which has served us well so far, and I suppose there is another disadvantage insofar it needs to be plugged in to a power source as they do use a lotta juice (but not as much, say, as a tumble dryer, but somewhat more than an ordinary radio).

I think the advantages of having LOD for most BBC programs, and the opportunity to listen to stuff clearly from all over the world (apart from live sports) - for instance we were listening to the Southern States of the USA last year when they had those couple of terrible hurricanes and I found it fascinating - anyway I think this and more far outweigh the disadvantages.:roll:

Sorry, only just spotted this for some reason, or maybe I forgot.:blush:

Anyhoo, my vote is Internet Radio over DAB any day. DAB coverage round here is pretty poor, so it's maybe 7000+ stations (IR) versus 30 (DAB)...aaaaahhmmm...no contest. Course, the disadvantage is that it counts as your monthly 'download' rate for all the hours you have it switched on. Therefore, I have to have unlimited download, which fortunately my ISP provides. We have a LOGIC Internet Radio which has served us well so far, and I suppose there is another disadvantage insofar it needs to be plugged in to a power source as they do use a lotta juice (but not as much, say, as a tumble dryer, but somewhat more than an ordinary radio).

I think the advantages of having LOD for most BBC programs, and the opportunity to listen to stuff clearly from all over the world (apart from live sports) - for instance we were listening to the Southern States of the USA last year when they had those couple of terrible hurricanes and I found it fascinating - anyway I think this and more far outweigh the disadvantages.:D

Thanks for that explanation, Honestfi. Next time I need a new radio I shall bear in mind an internet one.

I know what you mean about DAB (which is also very heavy on the batteries). Sometimes I'm listening to a good play or a decent piece of music and suddenly lose transmission on the DAB, which is really annoying even if it is only for a few seconds. Either that or I get a noise like someone banging coconuts together.

He's married to one of them in real life isn't he? Is it "Shula" or "Peggy" - can't remember?:blush:

Judy Bennett (Shula), according to Wikipedia.

It's been years since I last listened to the Archers; I used to listen to it at work around the time Lucy Davis first played Hayley, and John(?) Archer rolled his tractor.

• 4 weeks later...

I've finally caught up with my backlog of podcasts. I feel so sorry for Lilian at the moment, but the real emotional heart of the story for me is Peggy and Jack - virtually every scene breaks my heart and I end up with tears in my eyes or rolling down my face. I've had to stop listening in the car!

• 2 weeks later...

What a good idea!!

I love the Archer's! And I listen to BBCi player almost every night!! I've heard some great plays, comedy programs and even whole books on there.