The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

BookJumper

If you're an admirer of the late genius Douglas Adams, why not get your best dressing gown on and follow BookJumper to HitchCon09? Apart from meeting loads of froods who know exactly where their towel is, you will be able to purchase & get signed your copy of And Another Thing, the official sequel to The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy written by Eoin Colfer of Artemis Fowl fame, participate in viewings of the original TV series, meet the original TV series' Arthur Dent, marvel at H2G2 being brought to life on the stage... what more could you amazingly together guys possibly want??

Note: if the above made little to no sense to you, chances are you haven't been exposed to the wonders of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, aka The Increasingly Inaccurately Named Trilogy of Five (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy; The Restaurant at the End of the Universe; Life, The Universe and Everything; So Long, and Thanks for all the Fish; Mostly Harmless). If that is so, exactly what are you waiting for?

Inside, you will find out many useful things, such as why it is easier to fly than land, why sperm whales are wretched creatures indeed, what God and zebra crossings have in common, what the worst poetry in the universe is... and most of all, what everyone's on about when they say that the answer is 42!

Long story short (because, after all, it is 1.24am), it is a cult deserving of its status. It is as splendiferous as it is undescribable, so let me just say this: if you enjoy the wacky brit humour of Terry Pratchett/Neil Gaiman, Monty Python and Blackadder, these five books will regale you with hours of unadulterated amusement.

Oh, and - please come to HitchCon with me??

I adore THGTTG, having grown up with it from radio, to books, to television. Adore it. I'm not sure how I feel about someone else doing a sixth instalment - I don't even want to pick up one of those Bourne books now that they're being written by someone other than Ludlum, and they're not that important to me!

I'd have come along, Giulia, even having never gone to a fan convention before for anything, but I'm flaming busy with DofE that weekend, dammit! :friends0:

It would have been interesting and fun.

Awww it's a shame you guys can't make it, it would have been awesome to meet you in such a fabulous context :motz::friends0: you shall be missed.

I'm not sure how I feel about someone else doing a sixth instalment - I don't even want to pick up one of those Bourne books now that they're being written by someone other than Ludlum, and they're not that important to me!
I am also unsure, and will be until I actually get my hands on the thing and read it - after all, I have made a point to bite my curiosity back and never read a "sequel" to Pride and Prejudice, because I don't want to see it mangled.

This, however, is official, blessed by DNA's widow; also, Colfer himself seems to be unsure about him doing a sixth installment (see his diary entries on the subject), which shows a suitable amount of respect, IMHO, so I'm prepared to at least give him a chance. Cleverly, they've put his reading a few hours before his signing, so I guess that if I like the bits he reads I will buy the whole thing.

I am, however, vexed to have discovered about this after having had to cancel my order for the prettiful leatherbound H2G2 because it had suddenly become "unavailable" and who knows when they would have delivered it! Now I'm going to meet the original Arthur Dent, and since I refuse to have him sign the cheapie new editions, I'm going to have to pay twice as much to get it secondhand :D.

This, however, is official, blessed by DNA's widow; also, Colfer himself seems to be unsure about him doing a sixth installment (see his diary entries on the subject), which shows a suitable amount of respect, IMHO, so I'm prepared to at least give him a chance. Cleverly, they've put his reading a few hours before his signing, so I guess that if I like the bits he reads I will buy the whole thing.

I might well have a look, although it will be with great trepidation! :( I tried to get out of the DofE weekend yesterday, so I'd be able to come down, but no-can-do, alas. There's only the two of us that can be there that particular weekend, and I can't let the kids down. It would have been smashing to hook up. Maybe another time, eh? :friends0:

It would have been smashing to hook up. Maybe another time, eh? :friends0:
Indeed. I'm planning to be all social in the literary world now that I've got my freedom back, signings and whatnot, so I'm sure there will be occasion :(!

Noooooo! I can't make it! Do you think if I emailed the organisers, they'd switch the venue to Polkyth Leisure Centre (about 3 minutes walk from my house)?
Possibly. But then, I wouldn't be able to make it ;) wah! Why can't we all be ubiquitous?

• 1 year later...

I've been thinking of reading the hitch hiker's guide to the galaxy for a while now, I liked the film (particularly the depressed robot, which made me laugh constantly). I was thinking it might be a little bit like the Terry Pratchett books in its humour. Would anybody recommend reading it? (or not reading it)?

Definitely read it or listen to it!

I enjoyed the film pretty much, but I don't think it is pure Adams enough for many. The books and radio series (and indeed the tv series) are excellent. They are funny and clever and easy to read. :)

Yes, the film is nowhere near as good as the book (and deviated quite wildly from the original plot in parts whilst completely disregarding others). Read the book, listen to the radio plays, and maybe watch the old TV series because that was brilliant too. :)

wow, I had no idea it was a radio or tv series as well. It's looking like I might have to order it so far :)

Although I am starting to worry that reading the book will make me hate the film! Oh well, I'll always love that cute little robot :D

wow, I had no idea it was a radio or tv series as well. It's looking like I might have to order it so far :)

Although I am starting to worry that reading the book will make me hate the film! Oh well, I'll always love that cute little robot :D

Radio first then book then TV

The film, the film, the film. I still can't talk about this film and the paragraph of bitter disappointment it is going to have dedicated to it once I write my memoirs.

No, better read the book and watch the tv show and listen to the radio series :) Douglas Adams, how I love him and his dry witty talent. He is, as it turns out, rather excellent.

I had a look for the radio series on Amazon but it's £50! (and reduced from £80!) I don't suppose any of you know where I could get it cheaper? Your recommendations have made me really want it now! haha :)

Try your local library - you'd be able to listen to it for free if they have it! :)

Oh yeah, I didn't think of that, I've never gotten anything other than books from my library! Its only small in there so they probably wont have it but I suppose it's worth a try! Thanks Kell :)

Also I can't believe there's been absolutely no negative comments on the book so far, it must be worth a read!

They are (the books) very very funny and were pretty much constant re-reads throughtout my teens.

Ian

Oh yeah, I didn't think of that, I've never gotten anything other than books from my library! Its only small in there so they probably wont have it but I suppose it's worth a try! Thanks Kell :)

Also I can't believe there's been absolutely no negative comments on the book so far, it must be worth a read!

If they haven't got it in ask them if you can order it.

Edited by Vladd

• 4 weeks later...

I'm proably going to put some fans off here but I REALLY liked the movie. It's about the only movie I can watch over and over again (I never read a book twice and never watch a film twice, unless I have to for some reason).

The irony is that when I was 16 I had this boyfriend which I was very much in love with (teenagers, where do I begin)... He had read the books and the movie was coming out by the time we were dating. I was to "cool" and stubborn to let him control what I watch so I denied to watch the film (and didnt even think of touching the book). I thought it was weird, crazy and stupid. I was going to be an artist you know... I hadn't really grown up to be the nerdy me that I am today :P (and when I think of it, the book/the movie wasnt weird, crazy and stupid. It was me!). A few years later I was in Denmark with my family when the movie appeared on TV (with my current boyfriend, I imagine if that means something?) and oh how I LAUGHED! It's been "our movie" since then :P I find it kinda funny and ironic.

I read like half of the book and loved it few years ago but I didnt finish mainly because I was a slow reader and I had to give it back to the library. I litsened to the radio series though and I really liked it. Weird but cool. I plan to buy the book and the movie, I really like to finish the book so I can compare it to the movie (but I think I would still love the movie though because of my emotions are so attached to it).