Winter/Snow/Christmas themed books

poppyshake

Awww .. look at my writing when I was just little :D 

Anyone who likes YA would probably like Frost Hollow Hall by Emma Carroll .. it's lovely and wintry (and a ghost story) and also The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper. 

The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey was beautifully atmospheric I thought and ideal for reading in Winter (these aren't necessarily new ideas but they're new to the thread  :blush2: ) I also really liked The Vanishing Act by Mette Jakobsen but I was in the minority  :D 

For a lighter read there's also Christmas at the Cupcake Cafe by Jenny Colgan  :smile: Just the thing for reading with a hot chocolate in one hand and a bun in the other :D

Awww .. look at my writing when I was just little :D 

And look at how you've grown and blossomed! :smile2:

:lol:

I also really liked The Vanishing Act by Mette Jakobsen but I was in the minority  :D

I remember this! I remember it was a reading circle book and I actually bought it and started it but wasn't able to get into it (not the book's fault, I just wasn't in the mood). A shame! I should really get to reading it this winter :smile2:

Edit: Oh, you started the thread when you were still using the default font :lol:  :empathy:

Also, I've read Miss Smilla since my last post on the thread and I have to say I didn't like it. The last 100 pages of the book was just... It went to all sorts of places that personally in my opinion were too far out there. Such a disappointment, I really liked the premise of the novel. 

Edited by frankie

Somehow I was reminded of a novel that I think took place during winter. I think it was chesilbeach's review that made me add it to my wishlist. I've not read it yet, but there's skating, so it must be winter, right? :D

The novel is Death at Wentwater Court by Carola Dunn. 

No stranger to sprawling country estates, well-heeled Daisy Dalrymple is breaking new ground at Wentwater Court to cover a story for Town & Country magazine. But her interview gives way to interrogation when suave Lord Stephen Astwick meets a chilly end on the tranquil skating pond.

With evidence that his death was anything but accidental, Daisy joins forces with Scotland Yard so the culprit can't slip through their fingers like the unfortunate Astwick slipped through the ice ...

%7BE8401FA4-9D73-4861-AF51-C9AD39FC389E%

Can you think of a more wintery cover for a book? :smile2: 

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping this thread. I am reading your recommendations for Christmas novels, cause I realized yesterday that I have none. That has got to change. I will most definitely get Dicken's Christmas carol. But I want at least 10 Christmas novels!!! :)

Somehow I was reminded of a novel that I think took place during winter. I think it was chesilbeach's review that made me add it to my wishlist. I've not read it yet, but there's skating, so it must be winter, right? :D

The novel is Death at Wentwater Court by Carola Dunn. 

No stranger to sprawling country estates, well-heeled Daisy Dalrymple is breaking new ground at Wentwater Court to cover a story for Town & Country magazine. But her interview gives way to interrogation when suave Lord Stephen Astwick meets a chilly end on the tranquil skating pond.

With evidence that his death was anything but accidental, Daisy joins forces with Scotland Yard so the culprit can't slip through their fingers like the unfortunate Astwick slipped through the ice ...

%7BE8401FA4-9D73-4861-AF51-C9AD39FC389E%

Can you think of a more wintery cover for a book? :smile2:

Ooh, I love Daisy Dalrymple books!!! This one is definitely set in winter, and the skating and outdoors in the season play a big part in the story. :D

I also recommend "The treasure" by Selma Lagerl�f, a lovely winter ghost story.

I was at the library today and I was looking for this book, remembering how you'd recommended the book to me some years ago. Unfortunately I couldn't find a copy :( I'm sure they have copies at the other libraries, though, I'll just have to make a reservation for it at some point :)

Ooh, I love Daisy Dalrymple books!!! This one is definitely set in winter, and the skating and outdoors in the season play a big part in the story. :D

I know, it was your review that made me add the book to my wishlist :D Sadly I have about 45 books borrowed from the library so it's not at all sure I'll get to reading this one any time soon :blush:

Edit: They have more than just the first novel in the series at the library, so whenever I get to reading the book, I will be able to borrow the others if I like the first one :smile2: 

Edited by frankie

• 2 weeks later...

I just read about this book called The 13 Days of Christmas by Jason F Wright

From Amazon

Marva Ferguson has a very personal Christmas tradition that happens every December 26. As an aging widow, the tradition means more to her now than it ever has.

Her newest neighbor, nine-year-old Charlee, loves Christmas too. But her family has fallen on hard times and things get worse when Charlee becomes critically ill.

Then, on December 12, Charlee makes a wonderful discovery. A mysterious note is delivered that promises twelve days of gifts and stories that will reveal the truth behind the beloved Christmas carol "The Twelve Days of Christmas." As the days go by, the gifts hint at a possible lost lyric. Was there once a 13th day of Christmas? And if so, could its magic change—or save—a life?

Edited by Anna Begins

• 2 weeks later...

I remember this! I remember it was a reading circle book and I actually bought it and started it but wasn't able to get into it (not the book's fault, I just wasn't in the mood). A shame! I should really get to reading it this winter :smile2:

I read The Vanishing Act and didn't exactly love it, so maybe it wasn't just you not being in the mood? Definitely give it another go though...don't take my word for it! :)

Also, I've read Miss Smilla since my last post on the thread and I have to say I didn't like it. The last 100 pages of the book was just... It went to all sorts of places that personally in my opinion were too far out there. Such a disappointment, I really liked the premise of the novel.

Don't get me started on that book, woman!  :banghead:

Not a novel, but I adore J R R Tolkien's Letters from Father Christmas.  I would recommend this version which is absolutely beautiful.  :wub:

I have the same edition! I'm hoping to re-read (at least part of) it this year. It's a gorgeous book.

Here are a few lovely Christmas books I have (the first two are different editions of A Christmas Carol):

post-3835-0-34300100-1416490771_thumb.jpg  post-3835-0-33975100-1416490875_thumb.jpg  post-3835-0-56317700-1416490958_thumb.jpg

And I want to get this one day:

post-3835-0-97586500-1416491091_thumb.jpg

I read The Vanishing Act and didn't exactly love it, so maybe it wasn't just you not being in the mood? Definitely give it another go though...don't take my word for it! :)

But I have a feeling I will like it when I get to it :) I've most definitely not given up on it in any way, I think I just wasn't in the right mood. But we'll see when I finally get around to reading it :)

Don't get me started on that book, woman!  :banghead:

But I wanna get you started, I love your rants :blush::lol:

I want to add The Rabbit Back Literature Society by Pasi Ilmari Jääskeläinen to the list. It's a wonderful read and there's snow :smile2: 

Edited by frankie

• 11 months later...

I was looking for a autumn/winge book to read and was taken to this thread. However I am not sure what book to get. I cant read ALL the books listed in this forum so need extra help. Looking for one that has Nothing childish, no romance,horror,fantasy,sci-fi, and nothing to fancy and detailed!. Although if its a must read within those genres..feel free to post it :3 P.S I am 21 so I dont want anything old fashioned or really detailed. 

I was the one who directed you to this thread for suggestions. Seeing as you have fairly many restrictions as to what you don't want to read, I have no idea what to recommend you... :unsure: Might be easiest if you went through this thread yourself, and picked out the titles that pique your interest :) 

• 2 weeks later...

I love to read Christmas books at Christmas!!! So I'm looking for books with this theme.

Firstly, I will reread Christmas Carol by Dickens. I have only read once, I think two years ago.