Travel or a Book

Katrina1968

Long time to questions right?!

Okay, now I know that there are many of you who CAN and DO travel extensively, but for those of us who cant or WONT for various reason, tell me, circumstances permitting, would you rather stay home and read about your favorite places or would you rather visit them in person?

As for me, I use to want to do alot of traveling but lately I've found that the whole process is just too exhausting and to be honest, flying is just BEYOND a hassle. If you want to travel outside the country, there's also the passport issue. Wont get into the expense:motz:The occasional trip is great but to travel to every place I love reading about would probably cause me a coronary! Besides, if I dont read about them, I can visit them on my favorite travel channels:mrgreen:

So, what would you prefer to do, READ about your favorite places in the comfort of your home, or brave the outside and travel?

I think apart of me is just plain lazy:mrgreen:. While I LOVE the idea of traveling, it has become such a headache that I often find myself forgetting the trip because of the travel.

I use to dream of traveling outside the states but now I'm finding that its as much fun to travel at home. We can drive and take our time WHEN we decide to go. I would love to explore more of the U.S. but I'm okay with just traveling up and down the coast and exploring our natural landmarks and historical sites. I seem to rather READ books located abroad but I want to TRAVEL nationally, IF I felt like traveling.

Without a doubt I would definitely rather travel. There are so many places I've yet to see and my desire for travel has never been stronger than it is now. I've been fortunate enough to be able to visit hundreds of places in North America, but have only been out of the country a handful of times and that annoys me to no end! One day soon though :friends0:.

I use to dream of traveling outside the states but now I'm finding that its as much fun to travel at home. We can drive and take our time WHEN we decide to go. I would love to explore more of the U.S. but I'm okay with just traveling up and down the coast and exploring our natural landmarks and historical sites. I seem to rather READ books located abroad but I want to TRAVEL nationally, IF I felt like traveling.

The USA is such vast area so you do have a lot of travel right there! :friends0:

Travel is travel though, whether it's the next village along from you, or the other side of the world. I love reading, and I love to experience new places, and return to old favourites.

That's reading for you though, isn't it? It can take you to far flung lands, other planets and even different time periods. It can take the place of a trip, inspire one or enhance the one you're on by informing about the location and it's history, or be totally unrelated and just a companion read to relax you. :D

I can always read but I never get to travel so it would be travelling without a doubt. And as much as I like reading about what happens to people, I've lately been thinking that maybe I should experience something myself sometimes instead of always reading about other people's experiences :friends0: So travel it is! And it would be more extreme and true travel if I did it without any books. I'd rather pack a diary! (You can always buy books if you get lonely without them)

I love to travel. I always take a couple of books with me on holiday, but I am not a beachy type person - I'd much rather be off sightseeing, so I don't actually tend to read that much when I'm away. Maybe a few pages in bed. But when I get back, I find myself wanting to read more about the places that I've seen.

I'm a bad traveller .. if I could click my fingers and be there then I would want to be more adventurous.

I had a virtual holiday in Greece once .. it was supposed to be a real one but I didn't get to go .. but I read all the guide books, ate Moussaka, drank Retsina, watched Shirley Valentine .. that kind of thing.

I'm sure it wasn't half as good as actually going but it was a lot better than the week I spent in Spain.

Would you ever get a chance to travel without kids, Katrina? Just wondering, maybe some day it'll just be you and DH that can jet all over the place :friends0:.

I don't read much on trips either, since I'm so busy sight-seeing and am not in my hotel room long enough to do much other than sleep. Except when I had my 2 week road trip in New England I did take 'The Dante Club.' We spent some of our time in Cambridge and Boston, so I wanted to fully immerse myself in the Longfellow-ness by reading the book along the way :(.

I think you should come to the US, Frankie! Lots of extreme and true travel to do here.