Your Reality and Your Favorite Book

Katrina1968

Here I go again!

So, you REALLY love a book, I mean, REALLY love a book (series). Have you found yourself so influenced by the book/series that you attempted to change your lifestyle? I mean, there are some HP fanatics out there who refuse to come back to the Land of Muggles type of obsession.

When I started reading Mists of Avalon, I took a keen interest in the clothing. I think it had to do with the movie, but I could see myself dressing like Morgaine! I also started taking interest in herbs and natural healing.

Edited by Katrina1968

Of course. I pick up influences all the time. Or more like ideas. Like take the latest. I was reading a book that took place in the 20's London. You know, flappers, Charleston, gin, the works. And as this is still one of those eras that I don't know so well, I got interested. Looking into the fashions of the time, the literature and art, that sort of things.

Maybe I'll take something out of it, find a new interest, maybe I won't. But a good book always gives me new inspirations.

I'm the same, ii. Whenever a good book inspires me, whether it's an era, a culture, a person, or anything, it always affects my life in some way. Even if it's just in a small way, I'm always affected by what I read.

But I don't try to live in my books...that's taking things just a tad too far I think! :lol:

But I don't try to live in my books...that's taking things just a tad too far I think! :lol:

*laughs* Yeah, that's worrysome.

But I'm the same with movies. I guess it's just about looking for something to inspire me. Whether it's in fashion, music, books, art, politics. I get curious. And everytime we learn something new, we're influenced. So absolutely.

But as much as I fell for the 20's, I'm not wearing a flapper dress and blowing smoke rings. I just got interested in learning how to dance Charleston.

Watching The Interpreter gave me the idea to hang my African masks on the wall, like Nicole Kidman's character had done. Before that I'd had the propped up in the bookshelf in the study. Don't know how I didn't think of the wall before that, but there you go.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that I've been unduly influenced in behavior or lifestyle (making aspare room up like it was something out of Star Trek is dumb), but I have found that I listen to music which authors use in the books I read. After a few Stephen King books I really got into old rock and roll songs...

If something mentioned in a book - whether it be a place, person, and era, etc - interests me, I'll do a bit of research on the subject. But I don't think I will ever be so influenced by a novel that I'll want to change my lifestyle, I like being me, so I simply won't allow it. :lol:

Thanks to my extensive reading of crime and true crime books I now know how to commit the perfect murder and how to dispose of the body. Don't know when I'll get the chance to try it out though....:lol: Seriously though having read Stephen King/John Connolly books I have a deep hankering to move to America and set up home in Maine.....

If something mentioned in a book - whether it be a place, person, and era, etc - interests me, I'll do a bit of research on the subject. :D

Same here. I recently read The Other Boleyn Girl & The Boleyn Inheritance by Philippa Gregory and became interested in Tudor history. I've since bought books about Anne Boleyn, Jane Boleyn and when I visited London recently I specifically sought out sights that were relevant to that era.....like the Beauchamp Tower where Anne spent her last days overlooking the green she would be beheaded on. I'm becoming quite a geek about it all considering I had absolutely no interest beforehand :D:irked:

Also, since reading Interview With The Vampire, I really want to visit New Orleans :)