American or British Mystery/Crime

Katrina1968

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A favourite of mine is Dorothy L Sayers. The period she is writing in is between World War One and World War Two, with Lord Peter Wimsey as her detective, with the fabulous Harriet Vane in attendance!

Caps are still doffed, the working man knows his place, and we all use the correct fork at dinner! Great books. :irked:

Wonderful books, Chrissy.:roll: You've reminded me to grab a few of these and re-read some of them. Right then, I'm orf to the library:mrgreen:

Guest velocipede2288
USA crime fiction is not very believable UK Crime is more true and is not as far fetched. I have enjoyed the Scarpetta novels but dislike P.R Tracy her books are rubbish

I have to disagree with you on this. Ed McBain 87th precinct series and Elmore Leonard crime thrillers I find very believable. So some american crime is rubbish, but so is some British.

When the sleuth is a little old lady or an aristocratic lord, who repeatedly comes up against murderers and then solves the crime. That is unbelievable. For me, the sleuth has to be a cop or at least a private investigator, that brings him or here into contact with the crime, or it just doesn't make sense.

Edited by velocipede2288

I enjoy a range of crime fiction, and in each I have to suspend my belief at times, be they written in the UK or the USA, or whether we are talking graphic and gritty, or aristocratic and aging.

How does the PI always figure out the red herring in time? Why is the Assistant DA even out on a case with the police? Why is the maverick ALWAYS able to solve the case?

I enjoy a good yarn. I can enjoy the graphic and gross alongside the surreal and the silly, it's how it is strung together that counts. Give the story some substance, that's all I ask. :blush:

I have to disagree with you on this. Ed McBain 87th precinct series and Elmore Leonard crime thrillers I find very believable. So some american crime is rubbish, but so is some British.

When the sleuth is a little old lady or an aristocratic lord, who repeatedly comes up against murderers and then solves the crime. That is unbelievable.

Agree, or is it that this particular format is jaded, after all, Christie made some money from it.:blush:

For me, the sleuth has to be a cop or at least a private investigator, that brings him or here into contact with the crime, or it just doesn't make sense.

Not so sure about that. I have read some excellent and believable reads where the hero is not a PI or a cop. Angel is one of them. Oops him again.:D

How does the PI always figure out the red herring in time? Why is the Assistant DA even out on a case with the police? Why is the maverick ALWAYS able to solve the case?

...and why do I still love it?:blush: Actually, there are some unusual ones out there, when the case isn't solved, that it isn't a happy ending, or it is open. Finding a good one is another matter.

I seem to have read more British crime fiction than American. If I were to make a huge generalisation I'd say British authors of this genre tend to write more more complex and more intriguing twists and turns into their stories, the American novels can at times be a little too straight forward for my taste.

You too like Iain Pears, blencathra? If so, do you have any favorites? I think I love 'Instance of the Fingerpost' most, but I can never get enough of his art mystery series with Argyle.

Sorry to take so long to reply, have been away the past couple of days. I was thinking of Instance of the Fingerpost when I mentioned Pears - a real great when it comes to crime.

I seem to have read more British crime fiction than American. If I were to make a huge generalisation I'd say British authors of this genre tend to write more more complex and more intriguing twists and turns into their stories, the American novels can at times be a little too straight forward for my taste.

Much what I said earlier in the thread.:lol: Straightforward US authors can be, but some of them take your breath away with the action. British authors tend to take things slower.

USA crime fiction is not very believable UK Crime is more true and is not as far fetched. I have enjoyed the Scarpetta novels but dislike P.R Tracy her books are rubbish

or even P J Tracy who is in fact two people writing together.....

US crime fiction is 'highly believable' if you avoid certain conveyor belt authors like Cornwell. Spread your wings and try some proper American crime- Winslow, Pelecanos, Ellroy, McBain, Burke, Chandler, to name but a few. Believe me there's a lot more disappointing British stuff at the moment....

When the sleuth is a little old lady or an aristocratic lord, who repeatedly comes up against murderers and then solves the crime. That is unbelievable. For me, the sleuth has to be a cop or at least a private investigator, that brings him or here into contact with the crime, or it just doesn't make sense.

Oh hooray! Somenone else who has a dislike for unbelievable 'cosy' Golden Age crime- I salute you!:lol: While the Americans had Chandler, Hamnett et al what did we have...chinless aristocrats, Belgians in spats and the truly irritating cardigan toting Miss Marple...sorry...rant over....

Guest velocipede2288
Oh hooray! Somenone else who has a dislike for unbelievable 'cosy' Golden Age crime- I salute you!:) While the Americans had Chandler, Hamnett et al what did we have...chinless aristocrats, Belgians in spats and the truly irritating cardigan toting Miss Marple...sorry...rant over....

I'm glad you agree with me.:lol: Of course, all crime fiction is just that.Fiction. If our real police were a fraction as good as Rebus etc, we'd have a good police force. But as it is, they only solve one percent of crime. But our jails are full, so it is just as well they are lousy at their job. Where would we put the criminals if the cops were efficient.:)

Has to be British (or European) for me - every time - I'm afraid.:lol: I like my plots to centre around sleepy English villages, or (in the case of the Jacquot series) in southern France. Places where I can relate to.

British/European for me too......and I'd never heard of Jacquot, so I'm going to try him out next - thanks Sue!

Oh hooray! Somenone else who has a dislike for unbelievable 'cosy' Golden Age crime- I salute you!:D While the Americans had Chandler, Hamnett et al what did we have...chinless aristocrats, Belgians in spats and the truly irritating cardigan toting Miss Marple...sorry...rant over....

what did we have?? ....... erm only the greatest sleuth of them all, Sherlock, my dear Watson.:D

I hope you enjoy the Jacquot books Bel-Ami. I stumbled across them on Amazon and when I read the description of the man, an ex French Rugby player whose claim to fame was beating England at Twickenham with the winning try, I thought, this could be interesting. He's a detective with a lot of baggage too. Do start with Jacquot and the Waterman, the first in the series with a bit of history on the main character.

Edited by SueK
updated info

Yesterday I was blessed to meet another author, her name is Katherine Wall, she's a mystery writer and her stories center around our hometown. Here is a link to her website. http://www.kathrynwall.com/

We had a nice long chat while she was signing some of her catalogue for the bookshoppe. She told me that she got her love for mystery writing from reading Agatha Christie. Kathryn is such a humble and just plan NICE lady who happens to love a good mystery!

I hope you enjoy the Jacquot books Bel-Ami. I stumbled across them on Amazon and when I read the description of the man, an ex French Rugby player whose claim to fame was beating England at Twickenham with the winning try, I thought, this could be interesting. He's a detective with a lot of baggage too. Do start with Jacquot and the Waterman, the first in the series with a bit of history on the main character.

Thanks again Sue, have just read Jacquot and the Waterman in 2 days. A real page turner and a likeable main character. Now for Jacquot and the Angel :D

• 1 month later...

British definitely! My favorites being the Golden Age writers, especially Dorothy L. Sayers. I love these because of the Country House settings and the village life depicted in them. Also, the plots are very well thought out, and the writing quality is more intellectual.

At the moment, I'm looking for books by Gladys Mitchell (Mrs. Bradley stories). Haven't read any of her books yet, but saw a drama on tv starring Diana Rigg a long time ago, and recently heard one of her stories on BBCi player. Only have a couple more Sayers books to read and then I'll have finished them all.........(oh no!!) Desperately need to find similar authors SOON!!

If anyone can PM me with some suggestions, other than Agatha Christie, I'd really appreciate it!

I can't really decide. I love the typical british crimes like the ones written by Dorothy L. Sayers, Agatha Christie, Ann Granger.

But I also love cozy mysteries and most of those are written by american authors. I am still wondering why. Why can't or won't authors from other countrys than america write cozy mysteries?

Julia, its funny you should say that because I dont read American (I'm American) books because I think they are too gritty, cold and graphic! I LOVE mysteries written by British authors because of the cozyness you get, the sense of the village, the people, the language.

I much prefer British, especially Morse, Wexford, Dalgleish and earlier crime solvers like Matthew Shardlake. For me, American crime can be too graphic, far fetched and I don't always like the American legal system. Yes there are a few I like but when I am browsing in the library or shops, so many are immediately put back once I know where the setting is. No offense to our friends across the pond but British style is much more gritty and realistic

:)Julia!

I'm not big on gritty and graphic. I'm very sedate in what I read for the most part. I love snuggling with "comfort" books that are smooth and mellow. I dont know, I just feel a deep sense of contentment when I read such books, the mystery is there but without foul language and unnecessarily graphic sex and I've found that the British authors of the past are the masters of such work!:D

• 2 months later...

I think I have to agree with some people who have posted that I prefer American crime writers!

I think it's probably because they just seem to have more twists - saying that though I have read a lot of Jeffery Deaver and James Patterson books!

Edited by Melisa