Reading Habits

Chrissy

Is noise allowed? The TV or the children?

I don't mind the tv....I've learned to mostly tune it out

Indoors or out? Morning or Evening?

Usually indoors...but out on the porch some evenings

Do you read on sofa or do you prefer to snuggle in bed with a good read?

recliner or bed....I like my feet up and the book properly propped :giggle:

Is a cuppa close to hand? Do you feast while you read?

usually yes....to both!

Does everything have to be just so?

yeah....pretty much :D

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read in Bed, Armchair, Desk, Dining room table, indoors, outdoors, and also Trains and planes.

In bed and the armchair its normally quietly anywhere else I'm not worried, and on trains its normally reading with I pod stuck in the ears.

I prefer silence, but I'm ok with reading on the train (if talking people get too annoying, I just turm my mp3 player on).

Both indoors and outdoors, it depends on the weather and where I am and such. I read all through out the day, in the morning on my way to work, on my way back to work, in bed, during the day at the weekend.

I like to sit down with a piece of cake and a nice drink at starbucks, I do this sometimes as a treat and sit there for hours and hours. But normaly I don't feast while reading, too much reading time spent on the train.

Is noise allowed? The TV or the children? yes. I like to read with music on the tv on in the background

Indoors or out? Morning or Evening? both.

Do you read on sofa or do you prefer to snuggle in bed with a good read? both

Is a cuppa close to hand? Do you feast while you read? yes

Does everything have to be just so? as long I have music,I'm happy

There must be absolute silence. My family knows that when I crack open a book, everyone must shut up the hell up unless they want to experience my wrath.

When I'm home alone I usually read on the couch. If everyone else is home, I read in bed. That way there is a door between me and the noise.

I always, always read before I go to sleep. Even if it's just a few pages.

I don't usually eat/drink when I'm reading because I become so absorbed in a book that I forget about my tea and by the time I remember, it's gone cold.

It's really interesting how many people need silence in order to read. I live in a small town and I work in a city, but if I could only read in silence, I don't think I'd ever read at all. Even in the middle of the night, I can hear the noise of the traffic on the motorway on the edge of town, and as I sit here now, I have the sound of cars outside my house. I've got so used to ambient noise that I've learned to tune it out, and when it's too loud or distracting, I've developed the ability to put music on to drown out everything else. It has to be either instrumental or songs in a foreign language, otherwise I get distracted by the vocals, but other than that I can listen to anything and still read quite happily.

Is noise allowed? The TV or the children? I'm ok with noise, as long as it is background noise and nothing too interesting.

Indoors or out? Morning or Evening? Either, though I can't read in public and I even struggle to read at work when other people are around. I prefer to read when it's just me (or me and hubby) and that can be indoors or out. I read a bit in the morning if I have time before I leave for work, but it is literally no more than 10 minutes. Evening is better - it's a way of winding down before bed.

Do you read on sofa or do you prefer to snuggle in bed with a good read? Usually the bed, but sometimes on the sofa and sometimes even standing in the kitchen waiting for something to cook.

Is a cuppa close to hand? Do you feast while you read? I often have a cuppa, but rarely eat. I don't want to make a mess on my Kindle or get greasy paw prints on it. :giggle:

Does everything have to be just so? I can read in most situations, but if there are people nearby they have to be people I'm very comfortable around (why I struggle to read at work).

Well, yes. I often turn on the TV or music while reading, at least when I'm reading in the living room. No "noise" when I'm in my reading room or reading in bed, though.

Usually indoors, because when I'm out I'm doing other things. During the week I only read in the evening, on the weekend whenever I can.

Both.

Ah... yes to both.

No. The only thing I need is a little time. I couldn't read before work out of fear I might run out of time.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting thread - I'm always amazed as some people's ability to read anywhere... I think it's akin to the skill of being able to fall asleep anywhere too!

Is noise allowed? The TV or the children? I find it difficult to read with excessive distractions. Unless the book is intensely gripping. I prefer reading with quiet music in the background.

Indoors or out? Morning or Evening? Prefer reading indoors, although I have read a lot more outdoors now I have Kindle which gives you glare-free reading (no, I don't have shares in Kindle, honestly!)

Do you read on sofa or do you prefer to snuggle in bed with a good read? I like both - but snuggling on the sofa with a book requires a fleecy blanket/throw of sorts.

Is a cuppa close to hand? Do you feast while you read? Cup of tea definitely. In the days before becoming a wheat & dairy-free zone, then I would have devoured biscuits as well!

Does everything have to be just so? Ideally, yes - ambiance is important - but if the book is good enough, then your environment can often melt away. (For me this is a sign of a great book as I am very easy to distract!)