Reading Habits

Chrissy

Is noise allowed? The TV or the children?

Some noise, like nature or the dishwasher, but I'm not good tuning things out so definitely not the TV or children (which I don't have any anyways). Music is also okay, as long as it's low and instrumental.

Indoors or out? Morning or Evening?

Either indoors or out, as long as I'm comfy and the above noise rules have been followed :motz:. All times of day too, doesn't matter.

Do you read on sofa or do you prefer to snuggle in bed with a good read?

Both, plus the big chair near my sofa. I have a large ottoman that I push back and forth between the two. I love reading in bed on the weekend mornings when I get to sleep in, or at night if I'm not too tired.

Is a cuppa close to hand? Do you feast while you read?

Do you have to ask?! :smile2: Yes, coffee always nearby but it's not a mandatory partner to a book. Never eating though, I'm far to messy.

Does everything have to be just so?

Nope

So what's your reading habit?

I too can usually only stop reading at a chapter or section break. A lot of times my cat takes my bookmark so when I'm ready to stop reading it's nowhere to be found. For some reason I don't like using anything BUT a bookmark in my books (no scraps of paper) so if I can't stop at a chapter break I try to read to a page # that I can easily remember since you'd have to threaten me with bodily harm before I'd fold a page over!

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can read with the telly on but prefer it to be quiet.

I love reading on the decking but mainly read indoors. My best time is the morning - if I read in either the afternoon or evening then I nod off very quickly and easily!

My favourite place is either in bed (on waking) or in the corner of the corner settee in my conservatory.

I usually make a cup of tea - it's almost like a ritual.

No just happy to grab any opportunity to read.

So what's your reading habit?

If I'm getting plenty of reading time then I like to aim to read about 50 pages a day - if I do that then it keeps me focused on making reading more of a priority, otherwise days can go by without me picking up a book.

• 4 weeks later...

I always read at bedtime.....i find i cannot sleep without having read a few pages first ...unfortunately sometimes a book is so good that i read far into the early hours and leave little time to sleep before getting up and going to work

Edited by Michelle

Thought I'd pop in and answer the original questions.

Doesn't bother me either way if there is noise / things happening around me, as I can block out all sounds when I'm lost in a novel.

Again, either is fine for me.. I usually read inside but if I can go out and curl up under a tree or something then that's great. I hardly have time to read in a morning - well, at all recently! - but I suppose I do read a lot more on a night.

Either, however I probably do prefer to snuggle up in bed..

.. with a cuppa' tea on the side. Heavenly. I don't like to eat while I'm reading because I get crums in my book and it's harder to do both at the same time.

Okay, so I'm not very exciting.. :friends0:

I don't mind a little noise, for example if BF is on the computer in the next room, but I can't have the TV on when I'm reading. Music is okay, but it can't be anything I really love, or I'll just be listening to the music.

I prefer reading indoors, but the time of day never matters.

Both! But I prefer my bed. :friends0:

I confess to indulging in the odd snack while reading. And I always like to have a drink handy, but more for psychological reasons...I almost never take a sip.:D

Honestly, yes...if I'm reading at home. I'll change into comfy clothes, make sure that my hair is off my face, adjust my lighting, and I always have to make sure I've had my shower first, if it's in the morning (or whenever I get up). But when I'm out and about, I can read anywhere in almost any condition.

if I am reading my family have to shout to get my attention,as I block everything else out.
Are you sure you are not my mother :friends0:?

I do sometimes eat when I read, Doritos and Dip

... you like living dangerously, don't you :D?

I have four younger siblings so my house gets pretty hectic. I don't usually mind noise, as I have learnt to block it out. People usually have to poke me or even take the book away to get my attention.

Any time of day. I usually prefer reading indoors, but if I'm on holiday I like to read outside by the pool! Except I do occasionally find it harder to concentrate, and get distracted by the variety of things to do.

Chocolate :friends0: I don't drink when I read though.

Is noise allowed? The TV or the children? ~

Usually the tv is on, just as background noise, if I am really engrossed in my book, I don't hear it, children? well when my nieces and nephews are here, I tend now to read because I am dealing with endless questions from the kids :friends0:

Indoors or out? Morning or Evening? ~

Anytime, anywhere :D

Do you read on sofa or do you prefer to snuggle in bed with a good read? ~

I read on the sofa, usually with Quinn on my lap purring away and Dylan sitting beside me, all curled up, happily snoring away :lol:

I do enjoy a cup of tea, occasionally a cup of coffee in my favourite cup which says 'I'd let myself go but I'm already gone' (sorry for all of the detail) I usually eat a few biscuits (hob~nobs rock!)

Not really as long as I am comfy and have a book to read, I am happy :lol:

I need quiet, i can read with noise but i don't take in as much and sometimes have to flick back a couple of pages to remind myself which can get annoying. I can't leave a book in the middle of a sentence it has to be at the end of a chapter.

I read inside, usually in the recliner beside the window, so i'm almost outside, i have been known to take a book to the park on a good day and sit and read while my niece and nephew run themselves silly. I can read at any time of the day but i like to read in the evening or at night.

My weakness is for Haribo Starmix, i have been known to eat a full bag if i am engrossed in a good read.

No noise please! :) I admit I do get quite grumpy while I am reading and I can hear the noise from downstairs or next door. I prefer to read downstairs funnily enough but if something is on TV that I like (but I've already seen and parents are watching the recording) or it is a film I've seen loads and that I like, I just can't concentrate on the book:blush: If theres something on TV that is boring then I can get lost in a book. Reading in public places such as University I just can't do as it is so noisey.

I prefer to read indoors and I don't have a favourite time of day to read. It depends whenever I can. I read before bed, and if I don't have University or work in the day I can spend the whole day reading.

As I've said I read every night before going to sleep so I read a lot in bed, only problem is I don't get much sleeping done as I find it hard to put a good book down :D Most of the time I prefer to read on the sofa, I find I can get more comfy that way.

I love having a cuppa while reading but nothing else, I really don't trust myself eating around books. My old copies of Harry Potter from when I was 11 is proof that I should not eat chocolate or crisps around a book! :)

Yes, I really can be so fussy at times!

• 4 weeks later...

I usually have the tv on, but the volume is at the lowest setting and the program is anything without commercials; documentary, PBS. Sometimes, I listen to classical music, but it has to be peaceful, quiet music. I can't have complete silence inside or I start focusing on the noise outside, and there's always plenty of that.

I usually like reading on the living room sofa, and there's generally a purring kitty nearby. If I get up, and go away for any reason, however, I come back to find the curled-up little cat has become a big sprawled-out one occupying the very center of the couch!

I don't tend to eat much since most of my reading time is in the evening after dinner, but I like to have a glass of cola/juice/wine nearby. Of course, I have to get up now and then to fortify myself with a bite of chocolate or some pastry. Y'know how that reading just takes it out of you! :D

Of course, thats my 'ideal' scenario, but actually, I can read anywhere and often do, especially if I have to be kept waiting. I keep a book in the car for unexpected waiting moments, and often bring a book to work to enjoy during my lunch hour.

Oddly enough, the hardest place for me to read is the bookstore!! I get so furious at those idiots who march around talking LOUDLY on their cell-phones, telling me, and everyone else in the whole store, way more than we want to know about themselves, their friends and family!! ;)

I tend to read better when I have the telly with the volume on lowest point, (or the kids play station if it is on!) or I have music on low through the computer headphones - either gentle restful music or Steve Wright or Terry Wogan on through the radio iplayer. Nibbles and drinks are kept for evening sessions with 2 cats for company

Oddly enough, the hardest place for me to read is the bookstore!! I get so furious at those idiots who march around talking LOUDLY on their cell-phones, telling me, and everyone else in the whole store, way more than we want to know about themselves, their friends and family!
I try to speak as softly as I can but otherwise that would be me, sorry :D I've got a really awful phone which has no network unless I'm on the ground floor of a public space, so when I'm doing errands or browsing in shops is the only time my mum can hope to talk to me!

Usually, I prefer silence. As others have said, the television on in the background can be fine, or some music, depending on the type of book it is.

If nature provides a soundtrack from outdoors, with blustery weather or a thunderstorm, then that can set an appropriate atmosphere for a lot of the stuff I like to read!

Always indoors for me, and any time of the day or night. My working hours are often late afternoon/evening, which means I can read during the day, and then late at night if I don't need to wake early.

On a sofa or other chair, generally.

I don't think I've ever read a book in the bath, as some people do. I'd be too concerned about getting the pages splashed, or dropping the book completely, to be able to concentrate!

I try to speak as softly as I can but otherwise that would be me, sorry :D I've got a really awful phone which has no network unless I'm on the ground floor of a public space

Ha ha! :lol: No, I'm sure you aren't bad at all! Regular conversations aren't annoying, but certain people seem to be announcing their phone calls.... And some of the things I've heard really aren't what I'd expect them to want broadcasted!

Noise is ok, I tune out when Im reading, it really gets to my husband. He will ask me something and most of the time I wont even haer him :)

Its dosent bother me what time of the day or where I read. If I on a long trip like to my in-laws place I will take a book to read in the car.

I do really like reading in bed :D

Im not a big tea or coffee drinker so I dont have any while I read, i do like to have something to snack on.

Overall...I like my silence. My somewhat short attention span doesn't allow for many distractions. :D I prefer reading in my bed and just relaxing, but I usually don't have much time for that. Therefore, I keep my books with me at all times and read whenever I can...while waiting for someone, before classes, anytime time that's opportune. On Saturday evenings though I do curl up with the book of the day and stay up until the wee hours of the night (or until I doze off...whichever comes first).

• 1 month later...

I'm curious to find out about everyone's reading habits.

1) When you begin a book, or are in the process, or finishing a book, how do you read? Do you read in fits and starts, once in a while when you are in the mood, a few pages everyday, once a week, or all at once?

2) And secondly, how do you read the book? Do you read a few paragraphs or few pages and reflect, look up a few words, do a little literary research or bio on the author, or research a subject related to the sections you are reading, do you read the entire book before you think or reflect, or do you simply read to enjoy the share pleasure of it and not think too much about reflecting?

Edited by Capture