Reading Habits

Chrissy

This is the thread to tell us how you do it!

We have a few threads floating about on the forum about bits of our many and varied reading habits and this is the thread to bring them together. :(

Is noise allowed? The TV or the children?

Indoors or out? Morning or Evening?

Do you read on sofa or do you prefer to snuggle in bed with a good read?

Is a cuppa close to hand? Do you feast while you read?

Does everything have to be just so?

So what's your reading habit? :lol:

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noise is probably the thing that bothers me most while reading. I need silence. If something or someone is making a racket - whether it be music, talking, the television - I just don't take in as much of what I'm reading as I would in absolute silence. That being said, I do often read ghost stories while the TV is on in the background... but only because I'm a little scaredy-cat.. :(

I prefer reading indoors, in bed, and I don't mind eating or drinking while I read - which is why there are pink milkshake stains in my copy of Anne Frank's diary... I should be ashamed, since the first thing they taught us way back in primary school while on a trip to the library, is to never eat or drink while handling books. :lol:

That being said, I do often read ghost stories while the TV is on in the background... but only because I'm a little scaredy-cat.. :(
We all do that! The ghost story isn't worth it if you can read it in night time quiet! :D
there are pink milkshake stains in my copy of Anne Frank's diary... I should be ashamed, . :lol:
There may be others who will happily shoot you for that - personally it made me laugh out loud! You read the book, that's what matters!

With the exception of car travel, I can read anytime anywhere if I have my mojo intact! Noise, no noise, it makes little difference once I'm involved in the text.

My preference is to read on the sofa with a mug of tea close by, but these are not essential. :lol:

Noise doesn't bother me. Often my boyfriend will watch TV whilst I read so I have learnt not to worry about outside noise. Plus, we have noisy neighbours :(

I like to read on the sofa with my cat curled up next to me. I almost always drink water or coffee whilst reading and I could read anywhere.

I take a book everywhere I go 'just in case'

I read during my lunch break so I hold the book up or prop it against something whilst eating :lol:

I read at all different times - and different places. I will read at home on the settee or in bed at various times of the day and evening, or out in the garden. I read at work during my tea and lunch breaks. I read on days out, at the beach for example or if I go the local coffee shop (tea shop for me) for a cup of tea. There really are no hard and fast rules, I read when I feel like it, any time, any place and pretty much anywhere !

I prefer reading at home at my desk with a cup of coffee (or pop and munchies) at hand but I'll read anywhere - I always have a book in my bag and I read whenever I have to wait in line or in the car. I also love to read outdoors when the weather is nice and the flies are scarce.:lol:

Noise doesn't bother me. I often read with music in the background or with the tv on.

I've set a nightly "family reading time" with my daughter when we sit on the couch and read. She reads more this way than on her own. Occasionally, dad joins in too and the entire family is on the sofa reading!

I hope you're all sitting comfortably! Some of these are mentioned elsewhere, but will collate them all here for your amusement/ bemusement (delete as applicable:mrgreen:).

Hardbacks. Jacket carefully removed and put in a special dustbag I have :D. Book carefully read, without creasing the gaps between the covers and the spine. Jacket replaced after use. I always lift the jacket slightly so the bottom doesn't get bent on the shelf before I put it back.

Paperbacks. I read these at an angle. I don't open the book more than about 45 degrees :lol::blush: because... I can't bear creases in the spine! Unless it's one of my favourites anyway, because then I have a seperate reading copy, of which I will permit some bending of the spine :lol:

This is quite embarrassing, I shouldn't have started this post!

Ok, there's more of course. I don't eat while I read. Not chocolate, because of smudgey chocolate marks on pages, and not meals, because it's quite difficult to manoevre a knife, a fork, and a book, and the book might get damaged. And I refuse to read in the bath. Can you imagine the state of the book if it actually fell right in the water?

I will have a cup of tea while I read, very carefully set back from the edge of whatever piece of furniture it rests on, just in case it falls off.

And I either read here in my chair (these days with one eye on the forum), or propped up in bed in my pyjamas with a hot water bottle and a cuppa :(

I think my biggest problem is that a lot of my books are firsts, signed, or limited, or a combination of these.

I prefer reading in silence. I get easily distracted like to have it quiet to concentrate. That is a main reason why I like reading late at night. I like being alone. I don't mind whether it's indoor or outdoor, as long as the weather is nice :lol: I prefer reading on the sofa (I now have one in my room) as I feel more comfortable. Plus I usually get tired as soon as my head hits the pillow. I don't eat or drink when I'm reading, except for the occasional cup of coffee or water. I also have to be relaxed. I mentioned on another thread that I can't read if I'm stressed. So I much prefer to read when I'm relaxed :(:D

My concentration is abysmal so any type of noise (TV, computer games, the bus telling me where I'm going) will put me off. As I share a room with OH in a house without a lounge and have time to read mainly on buses, this is a problem.

Usually indoors, I find traffic a disturbance, also in my old age (24) I'm starting to get chiller quicker - having moved to England from Italy can't have helped. That said, if I find a particularly inspirational spot (park, graveyard, that kind of thing) I will gladly read outdoors unless the wind insists on flapping my pages, which is both annoying and damaging to the book.

Can't read too early, must be caffeinated first!

Easily solved question - I don't own a sofa, so the bed really is my only choice...

I'll usually have a cuppa coffe (or tea if I'm feeling a bit under the weather) close by, but after experiencing the annoyance of getting crumbs in books and spending ages to get them out I do try my best not to be hungry when I read.

Is noise allowed? The TV or the children? I have learned to tune out all noise, including the radio, causing my husband to make comments on what he's heard on the radio and me saying "yes, dear", followed by him asking me 20 questions about it, realising I hadn't heard a word...

Indoors or out? Morning or Evening? Never been successful outside. Morning or Evening, although I tend to forget everything I read in the morning and re-read it at night.

Do you read on sofa or do you prefer to snuggle in bed with a good read? Oh in bed every time.

Is a cuppa close to hand? Do you feast while you read? C H O C O L A T E. And a fresh glass of water. And maybe peanuts. Or potato crisps. And pray I don't spill/smear any on a library book. Again.

Does everything have to be just so? Yeah too right. The chocolate etc should be within grabbing distance, but I do get pins and needles holding my head up for long periods of time.

Is noise allowed? The TV or the children? Don't have children lol! Erm, I read with the TV on, but it can be distracting and I read with music playing.

Indoors or out? Morning or Evening? Outside only if waiting for a train! Mainly an indoors reader, and any time of the day.

Do you read on sofa or do you prefer to snuggle in bed with a good read? Either. I generally have a "downstairs" book, an "upstairs" book, a "bathroom" book and a "bag" book - although when I move into the flat in a week and half that will change to "bathroom" book, "everywhere else in the flat" book and "bag" book.

Is a cuppa close to hand? Do you feast while you read? A cup of tea is usually next to me.

Does everything have to be just so? Nah, I can read pretty much anywhere, in any situation. Only the bus seems to stop me reading - oh, and if it is rainy and windy while I'm outside - don't want to ruin my book!

So what's your reading habit? :lol:My only real habit is checking to see how many pages the book is. I dunno why. And working out what the halfway page is. I don't read the end of the book, I just need to know how long it is.

Do you read on sofa or do you prefer to snuggle in bed with a good read? Either. I generally have a "downstairs" book, an "upstairs" book, a "bathroom" book and a "bag" book - although when I move into the flat in a week and half that will change to "bathroom" book, "everywhere else in the flat" book and "bag" book.

:lol::(:lol::10_confused::D

I'm lost. And so are the books.:lol:

:lol::(:lol::10_confused::D

I'm lost. And so are the books.:lol:

LOL! I just have a book for different areas I find myself in! Currently I have 4 books on the go! I'm quite lucky because I never confuse books or forget what is going on, which means I can read several at the same time

I prefer absolute silence but as I read on the train to and from work I've become used to reading with noise although it also depends on the book, if I'm totally engrossed in it I can block out everything around me and occasionally loose track of time, but if it's the type of book where I'm plodding through, I'll get distracted easily by other people talking or their headphones, so I'd have to wait till I get home to save myself reading the same sentence over and over!

Eta: If I have a large book I hold the pages closer together once I start getting near the middle of the book as I hate those spine wrinkles.

Edited by paperplane

Hardbacks. Jacket carefully removed and put in a special dustbag I have :D. Book carefully read, without creasing the gaps between the covers and the spine. Jacket replaced after use. I always lift the jacket slightly so the bottom doesn't get bent on the shelf before I put it back.

Paperbacks. I read these at an angle. I don't open the book more than about 45 degrees :D:blush: because... I can't bear creases in the spine! Unless it's one of my favourites anyway, because then I have a seperate reading copy, of which I will permit some bending of the spine

Wow! Your books must be prestine! I'm impressed :)

I read in the afternoons or evenings lying on my bed and there must be total silence or I can't concentrate. :irked: I don't usually eat or drink anything while reading.

Well...I can generally read when the tv is on; I just tune it out somehow.

I hardly ever read in bed...I have a few books which I can dip in and out of on my bedside table, but I rarely pick them up. My favourite place for reading is the comfy armchair in our lounge, but I will also read in a cafe (not when I've got company, obviously) or when I'm out walking, which is at least once a day.

I'll read morning, afternoon or evening. In the mornings, I generally have a cup of coffee by my side, but in the evening I only tend to have cold drinks. I always have a drink next to me (usually diet coke).

My main reading habit is that when I pick a book up for the first time, I always look to see how many pages and/or chapters it has, and then work out roughly how many pages/chapters I'm planning on reading per day.

LOL! I just have a book for different areas I find myself in! Currently I have 4 books on the go! I'm quite lucky because I never confuse books or forget what is going on, which means I can read several at the same time

Wohooo, just like me. I have different books for different places in the house, times and moods. I have been known to read 5 books at the same time and like you I manage to not get things confused. Nice to see that my 16 year old is developing same habits as me, too :D

My main reading habit is that when I pick a book up for the first time, I always look to see how many pages and/or chapters it has, and then work out roughly how many pages/chapters I'm planning on reading per day.

I do this too!! I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've worked out that in general I only read about 40 pages an hour. I wish I could read quicker, means I would get through a lot more books.

Other than that, I'm not sure I have any other reading habits. I generally just read whenever and wherever I can, like tonight, I was dog sitting, so instead of watching tv all night, I read my book.

I'm bored, and I know you're all just dying to know more about me... (ever heard of irony, people?!?) *laughs*

Absolutely. I tune out anyways.

Indoors. I don't do outdoors. Only exception is the Boat Week. But for me 'indoors' covers all forms of indoors, so also cafes, airport lounges and such.

Usually in an armchair. I prefer to be upright.

Sometimes. I like to have something to occupy my hands with while reading, especially if it's non-fiction. (don't ask, I can't explain it.)

For reading? no more than usual.

I can read at every opportunity.

Always have a read at bedtime,propped up with comfy pillows.

Then I will read at every available moment of my day,even while waiting for things to cook and kettles to boil etc.

This means that I am either perched on a stool,sat in an armchair or at the table eating my lunchtime sarnie.

Most of the time I don't worry about creased spines as I think that a book should be enjoyed.Of course there are some exceptions ie books that I know I will definitely be keeping.

Edited by pickwick

My only real habit is checking to see how many pages the book is. I dunno why. And working out what the halfway page is. I don't read the end of the book, I just need to know how long it is.

I do this too! I also have to know what page I'm on, and how many pages are left! The only exception is occasionally when I absolutely love a book, then I forget to check what page I'm on.

I can't stand any noise when I read so I have a chair in my bedroom where I sit under my blanket all nice and cosy :motz:

I only really read in the aftenoon or evening, even at weekends. Not sure why....

Can I ask you all a question....how many books do people tend to read at one time? I'm a one book at a time person and my reading friends think I'm very odd! I just don't understand the point of more than one book at once, you don't get any more read! All that would happen with me is that I would prefer one book and neglect the other!

Edited by Book Fiend

I don't have any children so that's no problem for me unless I'm at my nana's and my cousins are there but then I tend not to read and play with them insted. I don't mind having the tv on if it's something I'm not too interested in. If I'm watching say a new episode of Mock The Week I put the book down otherwise I cannot concentrate on the book or the tv. Also I can't read and have quiz shows on as I start playing along and completely forget what I've read.

Any but mainly inside. I have been known to steal one of my nans sun loungers on a sunny day and read outside. Reading outside is impossible in my garden though as my neighbours are right noisy so and so's and their kids are often playing outside.

Both. I generally only read downstairs if I'm home alone and even then it's once I've done all the cleaning and stuff that needs to be done. I do love to spend a Sunday morning eating breakfast in bed, reading the paper then reading a couple of chapters of my book.

Not always. I much prefer a nice cider anyway :motz:.

Oh no.

So what's your reading habit?

I have to see how many pages there are in the book and work out halfway then a quarter before I start reading.

I also prefer to put my book down after a chapter; I hate leaving a book in the middle of a chapter.

And bookmarks cannot be bigger than the book. It not only looks horrible but ruin the bookmark.

Sometimes I even flick to the last page and have a sneaky peak at the wnding. I know I shouldn't but I can't help myself.

I don't mind noise, if i'm travelling or in the forest, i can deal with noise, well you can't take it away can you? :b If i'm chilling in my room, i don't watch tv anyhow, so it's never a problem. If the story is good enough, i can usually immerse myself within that little world and be quite content!

Anytime really, whenever the fancy takes me. I find myself reading late into the night usually, my mind is active for imagining most then so i usually have the clearest reads and such if that makes any sense.

I rarely sit on the sofa for some reason, i like my own space like that mostly. So i'm usually sitting on my bed during reading time in the day, and lying in it at night.

I can't eat when reading, i don't like getting salt or sugar on my books and i can't concentrate on both :smile2: I have tea or hot chocolate at night and anything in the day really.

Nopes.

So what's your reading habit?

The only time i put a novel down (unless it's just plain trash) is when i finish a chapter or section, i can't stand finishing mid-sentence, it loses my flow in the tale. The only time i do this is when i'm falling asleep. I can use anything as a bookmark really, usually scraps of paper because i'm always like a bee, hovering between books and picking and choosing constantly haha, i'm very impatient and always want to try something new then go back to another one, i don't know how i keep track! It would be a disrespect to the authors if i forgot so it's kinda cool! :motz: