How do I choose a book ?

Hi,

New here and looking for some advice on how to choose a book. I'll admit that I haven't been much of a big reader, magazines yes but not a big book reader but I'm now looking for a good book to read. My gf and mum both read alot. I could of done with a book on my last holiday. So I've been to a well known book store today and it was like looking for a needle in a hay stack :lol:, looked on the net but I still don't know what I would like to read :lol: how do I choose a book ? do I go by films I like, interests, hobbies etc. How do you choose ?

Thanks.

Yeah I agree. You could think about what tv/films interest you, e.g. romance, comedy, crime, horror, sci-fi, and look for books within that genre. I also find that the book lists on this forum help :lol: And there are subsections and threads that recommend certain authors or novels.

If you've got an independent bookshop near you, you could try asking one of the shop assistants, as it's one of the things that usually gives them the edge over the big chain stores, in that their staff are usually big readers and will have the time to provide this sort of service. The big chains are good too, and might be able to help, but the indies tend to choose the more dedicated readers for their staff. They also will often provide recommended books, or recommended reading lists in the shop as well, which can be a good source of inspiration.

Simon, hello! :lol:

What are your hobbies and interests? What films do you enjoy? Maybe if you give us an indication we can recommend some books and authors for you to try.

Then you'd have to come back and give us feedback on what you have read and enjoyed. :lol:

Hi,

I'll start with film, I'm a big fan of the SAW films, stuff like that with weird/good twists, also futuristic style. Some others I like are The Green Mile, Final Destination, Last House On The Left, Reaker etc etc

TV, real life documentrys, real crime and comedys although not sure if I would like a comedy book :(

Hobbies, model flying, aviation, cb/ham/scanning, warhammer 40k don't play it but have a little interest in it.

Hope that helps for some suggestions :lol:

Thanks.

If you like weird things with good twists the first thing that comes to my mind is a book I recently read of short stories and as you are not a big reader, short stories may be ideal for now. The book is by Michael Marshall Smith - What you make it. The stories have sudden twists and some are very bizarre but very enjoyable! Seeing as you like Saw too I reckon you will most likely enjoy some of the stories in the book too! :lol:

Blurb from the back of the book: Welcome to a late-night flip across channels you've never seen before. Lovers, killers, ordinary people - in worlds where the ordinary has been left far behind. A pavement artist with remarkable powers, and a medium whose ability could bring about the end of the world. A father whose skills with wrapping paper may hold the key to a triumph over death...and a diet plan you'd be well advided not to follow. What you make it showcases Michael Marshall Smith's rare imagination with a collection of extraordinary, unsettling short stories. Some examine things you think you already know, snatches of life that seem familiar yet warp under close scrutinity. Others tell you things you don't want to know, but you're forced to find out. This book contains seventeen worlds, seventeeen lives, seventeen dorrs, left slightly ajar. You're invited in as you are. But you'll have changed by the time you come out.

The author also does futuristic books from what I have read for example Only Forward and Spares, Mac knows more on the guy and his books though I have yet to read more of this fantastic author.

Hi Simon.

Well I can see a start in there somewhere!

The Green Mile was based on a book with the same title, written by Stephen King. You could try and give that a go. If you enjoy it, King has published plenty of books to keep you occupied for a long time :lol:

Looking at that and combining King's writing with the horror/thriller aspect of Final Destination, Stephen King might be a good choice. And if you then find you like King's more horror/thriller based novels, you have found a genre. That then opens up a whole world of reading opportunity. In which case, other authors to keep an eye out for could be James Herbert and Dean Koontz.

If you like crime, there's plenty of non-fiction to look into. And for fiction you could try James Patterson. For a more forensic approach to crime you could try Patricia Cornwell.

You could also go to the library and check out any non-fiction aviation books they have there.

(For more info on the horror and crime genres, and other possible recommends, you could check out the relevant thread in the forum).

Happy Hunting :(

• 2 weeks later...

hello, what i do when choosing a book is firstly decide favourite genre, so i like comedy and therefore i look for a comedy book!!! now the comedy are quite easy to find because they normally have bright colours and funny text, i look around the bookshop till i find a comedy book that suits my needs and then i buy!!! always go with genre first and then read the intro to a book... most the times a good book will find you and not the other way round!!!