David Mitchell

I agree completely about that, Tammy. The only thing that dragged about BSG were the slightly clunky 80s references, either to the digital watch, or to the use of "slang". I loved the fact that he drops a couple of references from previous books across his novels - you'd discover at least one link to Ghostwritten in BSG, too.

Ooh what was the link? I read Ghostwritten years ago and loved it. BSG I read recently and have mixed views on it. Cloud Atlas I couldn't get past the first chapter but I think after your comments I will have to try again! Shame an old housemate borrowed it and never returned it, will have to get it from the library!

I'm trying to remember the links between Ghostwritten and Black Swan Green. It's just that some characters crop up a couple of times. I think that link is Neal Brose, who's a schoolboy in BSG, and who's working in Hong Kong in GW. Timothy Cavendish is in, I think, GW and Cloud Atlas; Madame de Crommelynk in CA and BSG. There's no direct narrative link. It's just a bit of a game to spot minor characters cropping up between the books.

Edited by Freewheeling Andy
for horrific "who's/whose" mistake, deserving of many lashes