Dorothy Koomson

Having been intorduced to this author, and loving 'My Best Friend's Girl', I took a look on Amazon, and her other books seem to get good reviews too. In particular I like the look of 'The Chocolate Run', but maybe that's just because it has chocolate in the title!? hehe

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

The first Dorothy Koomson book I read was My Best Friend's Girl, and liked it enough to buy three more by her in a 3 for 2 offer. I then read The Cupid Effect, but I was mightily disappointed. I thought the writing was weak, and the book needed some editing, as it was too disjointed and there were sections that were out of place in the story and felt unnecessary to the narrative. I then realised that two of the three books I'd bought had all been re-marketed after the success of My Best Friend's Girl in the Richard & Judy Book Club. In fact, I was so frustrated with The Cupid Effect that I actually gave away all three books to the charity shop, as I couldn't face reading the other two.

I've read all of her books and enjoyed them all. Some more than others, naturally. My Best Friend's Girl was by far my favourite though.

Chesil, I can't agree with you completely on The Cupid Effect but only because I can't actually remember it! I'm guessing that doesn't say a lot for the actual story but I know I thought it was quite enjoyable at the time.

Chesil, I can't agree with you completely on The Cupid Effect but only because I can't actually remember it! I'm guessing that doesn't say a lot for the actual story but I know I thought it was quite enjoyable at the time.

I think I was so disappointed because the story had bags of potential, but I just felt it needed some serious editing, and it completely put me off reading the other books, which is such a shame, as I suspect I might have enjoyed them if her writing had developed to where it got to in My Best Friend's Girl.

I was sure I'd already replied on this thread but obviously not!

Dorothy Koomson is one of my favourite authors, I've read all of her books and think she's brilliant and slightly different from the norm. She actually has a new book coming out soon called Ice Cream Girls I think, I had her newsletter through yesterday but haven't had a chance to look at it properly yet.

I read Marshmallows for Breakfast a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it, then I bought Goodnight, Beautiful at a service station WH Smiths last year whilst driving up to Scotland. Omigod, it made me cry so much (although not as much as My Sister's Keeper... I was inconsolable for hours after that one!)

Bought her other 3 books to take on honeymoon with me in January, I enjoyed My Best Friends Girl, but was disappointed with both the Chocolate Run and The Cupid Effect...