Scrapbooking

Purple Princess

Hey, i was wondering if anybody does any scrapbooking projects?

I've recently seen some scrapbooking work and had never really been aware of it before but I think it seems like a nice way to display special photos.

So does anybody do it on here? And does anyone have any good tips/ideas/what to buy and where to get started? :lol:

I scrapbook :lol: As for tips I'd say, start with making pages at 6x6 or 8x8 as 12x12 can be a bit daunting if you're just a beginner, I started with 8x8, it's a good size to fit a few photos on and a title or some writing, and I've stuck with that size as I like it so much. Another thing I did at first was go through the galleries at UKScrappers and save layouts you like and replicate them, it's a good way to get the hang of things, without having to over think it too much, and then as you get more confident, just take aspects of layout you like or create your own from scratch.

As for things to buy I'd say you need coloured card/patterned paper, lettering for titles, flowers/gems/ribbon/stickers (embellishments they're called) basically just to add to the layout and fill it in around the pictures. I personally like to use flowers and ribbons on mine most of the time, so I have lots of different types so I can match them with what I'm doing, but you'll build up whatever you like over time. Ebay will have lots of patterned paper cut to which ever size you chose and that's a good place to start, but there are proper craft shops online, such as Just A Memory, Charmed Cards & Crafts (also a lovely crafting forum there too) and Sarah's Cards. There are also a couple of scrapbook magazines that you can get each month in WH Smith, and they usually have freebies, and good ideas for projects. Another thing would be, don't ever use original photos, scan them and print them off, because sometimes mistakes happen and you cut too small, or some other disaster and you've lost a photo you can never replace, so just be careful of that :D

I'd just say though, it can become a very expensive hobby, as craft stuff is pretty pricey, so start small, and build things up as you get more confident, and use the UKScrapper forums because they can be really informative for good ideas, cheap places etc. Most of all, if you decide to do it, have fun! I really love looking at pages I've made of my family :tong: Hope this helps!

It's very bad for your bank account too! I've been scrapping for nearly 5 years now and I'm addicted to pretty paper & rubber stamps :lol:

If you want a different and/or creative way of displaying photos it's fantastic, you don't have to be 'arty' and anyone can do it. UKScrappers is a fantastic resource but they do enable shopping sprees a bit too much! Hmmm, a bit like here.....

It is really addictive - I probably have more scrapping stash than I'll ever use in my lifetime but it's like shiny new books, you have to have them :D It is fun though and I get a kick out of doing it, if I could just learn to not buy any more stash I'd be fine :lol:

It is really addictive - I probably have more scrapping stash than I'll ever use in my lifetime but it's like shiny new books, you have to have them :D It is fun though and I get a kick out of doing it, if I could just learn to not buy any more stash I'd be fine :lol:

I agree :tong: Do you have any pics online of your pages? :D

I agree :lol: Do you have any pics online of your pages? :D

I haven't, I actually emptied my UKS gallery a couple of days ago because it was all old stuff but I do have an old blog that has a load of cards and ATC's on, not sure if there's a couple of layouts on there too but will check :tong:

I know that feeling - I'm either so caught up scrapping that I don't touch a book or, as I'm doing at the moment, I've not done anything vaguely scrappy for over a month because I've got my head stuck in a book :lol::D

Reading and scrapbooking are what I've always done, ever since I was young. Of course, the version of scrapbooking I did when I was 6 or 7 is nowhere near what it is today but it was probably what got me started properly :lol:

... you evil girls you, now I want to do it, too! As if I had the time or the money, harrumph. Yet, when have such trivial considerations been known to stop me? Exactly.

It would, I suppose, provide a use for the oh-so-pretty venetian glass pen + coloured inks I bought at the British Library Shop a little while ago. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

You need to be careful and make sure that anything you use is acid and lignin free, means it'll last a long time and any photos won't be damaged. Don't use regular sellotape, you need to get proper glue or acid free double sided tape and so on. In my art journal though I use anything I fancy as I'm not worried about it lasting, that's purely for me unlike my scrapping which just about everyone I know likes to rifle through :lol:

I craft a lot - scrapbooking and card making. It is very addictive but I have always kind of been a closet scrapbooker even when I was younger.

In my old photoalbums, I always found the need to add something to the pages, like left over coins from the holidays, or ticket stubbs and write some sentences underneath the picture. That is pretty much what Scrapboopking is all about - being a little creative with pictures.

When I don't read (or hang about the net) you can find me crafting :lol:

Lexie has given you good tips already about UK scrappers and Sarah's cards is one of the shops I buy from too, once in a while

I craft a lot - scrapbooking and card making. It is very addictive but I have always kind of been a closet scrapbooker even when I was younger.

In my old photoalbums, I always found the need to add something to the pages, like left over coins from the holidays, or ticket stubbs and write some sentences underneath the picture. That is pretty much what Scrapboopking is all about - being a little creative with pictures.

When I don't read (or hang about the net) you can find me crafting :lol:

Lexie has given you good tips already about UK scrappers and Sarah's cards is one of the shops I buy from too, once in a while

I wondered if you were who I thought you were - Isle of Wight confirmed it. Not been on UKS for months, are you still on any design teams?

I wondered if you were who I thought you were - Isle of Wight confirmed it. Not been on UKS for months, are you still on any design teams?

Oh yes, I ams who I ams :D

I don't hang around UKS much these days only once in a while to check what's going - it always ends up in my buying something :lol:

I am working with Upsy Daisy Designs these days - fab Canadian company.

Ooooo thanks everyone for the tips and info! I went for a browse around my local car boot this morning and picked up a whole wallet of different cards/papers that someone didn't want so figured I would give it a go with these first and see how I get on - they are all so pretty!

Am off to browse around the sites lexie told me about now, thanks hun :lol:

Now you've got me all interested! I keep things like tickets from the cinema, theatre, gigs etc and train tickets if I've been somewhere that I loved. I have loads of bits and bobs from when I first met my BF and this sounds like a pretty good way to display them all.

Can you just use any old scrap book or do you need special pages etc?

If you're not bothered about longevity then any blank journal will do, if you want to preserve them as long as possible then go for a proper scrapbook with page protectors and look into acid free paper/cardstock :irked: