Do you use your local library...?

Do you use your local library?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use your local library?

I used to be at the library all the time when I was younger. But when I started college, the library became a place to study not to borrow fun books to read. Since I moved to a new town I haven't really been going to this library, I miss my old one! But a few days ago I decided to check it out and found that it was really nice and had about 50 books that I've been meaning to read, or want to read. So I came home with the Count of Monte Cristo and are going back as soon as I can for more.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm very rarely in our local library, I think I've been in it twice in the last 3 years. I'm trying to build up my own stack of books so like to buy my books to keep. If it's something that I'm not sure I'll like, I keep an eye out for it in the local charity shops, I'm in them pretty regularly. If it's something I've been wanting to read or a series, I'll buy them new.

I used to use the libary a lot when I was younger but only very occasionaly nowadays.

I do use my library the odd time, but i think the problem with a lot of libraries is the layout and structure of the books and the way they are categorized and shelved- for example my local library is a magnificent building with 3 floors of books, internet access, local history and magazines but most of the fiction books are all squashed into one corner of the room and many of the magazines are out of date by up to 2 years! That in itself is not too bad but what's worse is that there is no computer system available for the members to see what books are in stock, on hold, out on lend etc, you have to queue up and ask the staff for these details which is very backwards in todays' fast-paced world.

Obviously every library is different but making many of them user friendly would be a step in the right direction.

Incidentally, does anyone know the waiting period between a book's publication and its release to a library? If a book came out brand new today, how long before it hits the library?

hey, I use my local library a lot, I reserve my book online (which is kinda easy on their website to find etc) and then they phone me when it arrives in the library for me to go and collect. Im also allowed up to 12 books out at any time, and can renew them and reserve them online for free. Which I think is great!

I rarely go into my local library but had to go recently to pick up a tax form. I was amazed. It resembled far more an internet cafe/dvd rental store than a library. The books were all off in the corners.

I use my library all the time and have done for 40+ years, although since its recent refit it seems to have fewer books than before! We also have the option of checking our own books in and out, and I've had one major glitch when a returned music disc was showing up as overdue: good job I had my receipt, as the staff couldn't trace the disc at all.

I joined the library when I was five (you couldn't join before this age back then!), but my grandson, who's two and a half, loves being taken there now. He's a book lover, bless him - my two sons didn't take to reading too much, sadly.

Here in Lancashire we have a 'library elf' on-line service, which sends e-mails when books are coming up for renewal/return, so since I've been using that I've had no fines. Brill!!

I work within a 10 minute walk of my local library so quite often pop up there in my lunch hour for a browse, hence the reason why my TBR pile never seems to get any smaller. I suppose they do have a fairly decent selection available and I have actually came across a few gems that I probably would never have read otherwise but overall I think you have to be fairly lucky to be able to find the exact book you want - unless of course it's a classic or a Richard & Judy choice of which the library seems to be overrun with. Although you can request books from other libraries I've never actually used this service before.

I do love the book sales they have periodically though and have picked up a fair few books for the bargain price of 25p each! I mean who can resist?!

Now that the library have taken note of my "housebound" issues I no longer have to pay reservation fees so I'm changing my vote from occasionally to regularly :) Mind you, if they reinstate said

I've recently started to use my local library, there's nothing in it except mills and boon and childrens books but luckily i can reserve books online from other libraries for free and get them delivered to the closest library, again for free.

• 2 weeks later...

^^That sounds great!!I wish we had that.

I use libraries almost regularly.Well,less frequent now that I'm at uni,but still frequent.I always find something interesting,but I hate it during the summer when you can keep the books for 2 months (because of the holidays) so most of the time only the lame ones/the ones I've already read are left.But still,if I'm quick enough,I get the good ones :smile2:

Do you visit your local library? Is it any good? Is there a good selection, or do you often have to request your book from another branch? How friendly are the staff? :smile2:

I visit my local library here a lot but as it is only a small country town one it doesnt have a good selection of books and Im finding I have to nearly always do requests for books elsewhere.The staff of one is a very nice lady who also reads as well.We tend to discuss books a bit...;)

Ugh, another reason I don't use my local library much. Just looked up if they have book from the Wheel of Time series in English. My cash runs short you know. But well, they have about four books of the series in english. :smile2: And NOT the one I am looking for now. *sighs*

Welllll... I just thought I'd give it a try and go to my library again. Some things they didn't have, but I walked out with Umberto Eco's In the Name of the Rose, David Gemmel's Hero in the Shadows (which I just found out is part of a series, the cover was so bloody clear on that, NOT! So guess I'll be returning that one unread, and see if they got the first book of the series), Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter, and Stephen King's Duma Key.

All in english apart from In the Name of the Rose ofcourse. You know, that being written in Italian first, and no point in me reading an english translation, so I got that one in Dutch. "In de naam van de roos" it is. :D

Very different books hee hee, you guys even get me reading totally different books from those I'd usually try.

My local libraries are ok but a bit antiquated. I just joined one of the libraries in Swindon today and what a difference. I got five of the books I wanted and it's all fully automated, just swipe your books on the way out.

I can access their online cataloge too and reserve books or find out if they have them on their shelves ..... bliss :lurker:

Bad news for my TBR pile, it just got longer.

I use mine all the time. T he opening times are a bit restrictive due to my work but it has an excellent selection and the computers are handy.

IMHO libraries have been one of the greatest invention of mankind.

• 10 months later...

Time for us to start supporting our local libraries, folks - or we'll lose them!

So say our generous Government, at a time when the belt-tightening of the majority of the population (and especially families) means buying books etc., is becoming a "treat" thing only.

Whether you use your "local" often or rarely - it's a service you'll miss if it goes. For anyone else ... the best way to support your Library is to firstly join it, and help them boost their membership figures, and then, even if you only use it a few times a year - get in there! :D

This service comes in differing sizes, of course, but even a small library (or a mobile one) can get requested books & etc., for you, if you're willing to pay a very reasonable "request fee" (£1 in my "local") - and that's certainly less than buying, even from a charity shop, or secondhand.

By the way - I noticed a few posts in this topic about some books not being available. It's my experience that there's few which can't actually be had, (if you request them) it just takes a bit of patience to wait till they come in. Most libraries also now have a computer on the premises where you can even check availability of certain needs yourself - and if it's not in stock, a staffmember will help you make a "request".

Nowadays, it's not just a place for books - there are DVD's, CDs, and computer games of all kinds also available to loan (that may include an extra small charge, but again, it's good value, especially if children are in the family) and in the larger branches free online access too, for anyone computer-less at home.

Most libraries also run social or handcraft groups - from book clubs to poetry reading, handcrafts groups, and storytime for children (a chance for Mum or Dad to have a quick browse themselves, while the young 'un is happily listening, maybe?) and will have copies of the local papers or magazines available, to be read on the premises.

Really - there's "something for everyone" - even if it's only a few times a year.

So - join-up, bookworms ... or, if you're a member already, go back for a visit and a browse to show your support. I bet you'll borrow something, or join a group - and enjoy supporting your local Library, while your community keeps it :wink:

I used to go to my local Library every week when I was a kid, use to take out the maximum books that could be take out (8 books) and I use to read like 4 or 5 in that week and then I took those books back and got more books out.

When I got into secondary school I never really used my local library, only the school library every Tuesday and Thursday in my first and second year for homework club, but in year nine up to about year 10 start of 11 I started using my local library again, but to use the computer with my best friend. After I left school I stopped using the Library all together.

But I am thinking about using my local and main library again when I finish reading books that I haven't read on my shelf.

I use my local library. I go there at least twice a week when the boys are in nurery. I go online and order most of my books but I do browse the shelves as well. I would be lost without the library.