Do you use your local library...?

Do you use your local library?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use your local library?

I thin kit's 50p to reserve a book at our libraries in Aberdeen,which is marginlly better than at yours, Fi!

I used to be in the library just about every day when I lived in the Torry area of Aberden because it was on the corner of our street (and I live about 10 doors into the street), so it was really very handy for me. The librarieans knew me so well that if books came in that they thought I'd enjoy, they would lay them aside for me because they knew I'd be in either that day or the next - LOL!

I haven't taken any books out of the library in a couple of years now. In fact, I think the last time I did, it was The Plucker by Brom. I was in the library with a friend who was returning some books and asking about another one, and I spotted that one face-out on the shelf and KNEW I had to take it home with me!

I actually went to get Xan registered for a library card of his own the other week, but they need me to bring in some ID for me with my address on it. Now, I don't drive, my passport is well out of date and all the bills are in my hubby's name. Can you see where I have a slight problem? I'll just have to take in a bank statement next time I go into town. Oh, and the children's section is on the first floor, so we have to go up in the TINY lift that is barely big enough for a buggy, never mind a buggy and a Mum pushing it, so it's not the easiest of places to get to. Hmmmm!

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hadn't been to a library in this city for a long time for many reasons, this year i've began visiting my local one down in the village, it's a pretty little building and has lots of personality that I have started to appreciate :readingtwo:

I joined my library about a month ago for the first time in about 20 years, I have just come back from there with the entire Thursday Next series which is 5 books. None of them were in my local branch but I was able to search online for which Libraries in the County had them, and then hold them online, I was then told when they were all in so I could pick them up. I'm also able to renew books online.

Took just over a week or so to get them all in, but you cant fault that kind of service.

Could not be happier with my Library.

Thanks Michelle. I'll ask next time I'm in there as I'm kind of surprised that they don't (seem to) have one. I mean it's quite a good library with a big IT centre and what not so it's kind of surprising that they don't have their own online facility. I've definitely never seen it advertised or anything like that but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean that they don't have one.

Search 'Library' on your local authority website, you should find it there.

It costs 70p per book to reserve online at my local library, which did take me ages to find as when i typed in Salisbury Library it linked me to one in Australia, no wonder my online pin number didn't work..it took me ages to figure this out..doh!!:readingtwo:

Yes I use my library a lot - which is a bit daft at times seeing as I have a tbr pile as high as Everest.:readingtwo:

Interesting about the reserve fee as it seems to differ quite a lot up and down the country. I believe someone here was paying

My reading group is run by the library, and we meet once a month, with the librarian choosing two books for us all to read, reserving the copies and lending them to us. We pay 50p subs each month to cover the extra insurance needed to open the library in the evening, a cup of tea and a biscuit, and then any left over goes into the kitty until we have enough to pay for an author to give a talk or reading to us.

Other than than, I use it to reserve books that I either can't afford to buy in hardback, but can't wait to read, or books that I'm not sure about and decide to give them a go. I reserve them online through the regional library database, and that costs 80p per reservation, and I get an email to say when the book has arrived and is ready to collect. If I was to go into the library and ask the librarian to reserve the book, it would cost

I haven't stepped in the local library in about nine years. I used to almost live there back in those days. I just somehow learned to love buying books more than reading them in the last few years. Thankfully, that's coming to change since I've joined this place. I think I'd like to frequent the library once more, but only post this semester.

I use my local library a lot. It has saved me a fortune. I still buy books but unless I'm obsessed with an author, and want to read all their work, I borrow. I tend to donate books to the library as well.

I haven't got the space to keep all that I buy or get given.

I rarely request books. I have a list of books that are on my 'must read list', and it's good to track one of them down. It's good to try something new without it costing a fortune, particularly if you get bored half way through.

I really look forward to a good mooch. There's nothing worse for me than library in a rush, I try not to get 12 books out and be sensible. There's no way I've got time to read all of them before they're due back.

By hey, My name is Coffin Nail and I'm a book-aholic!

Few things I like more in life than being plugged into my Ipod and trawling the library.

I 'heart' the library :readingtwo:

I have had a subscription to my local library for about 24 years now. I have always used it a lot, except for the last few years. They don't change the books they have a lot, and honestly, by now I have read a lot fo what I want to read. And most books I want to read, they don't have.. not even in a different library, you can request books easily, costs 50 cts, but who cares. But they often don't have what I want, especially not since I like reading my books in English, if that's the language they're originally written in. And the number of english books our library has is horrible. So few. Or you know, they're several hundred, but few in my opinion. :readingtwo:

Now, I just try getting books there if I am not sure I'll like the book.. then I won't buy it. Luckily they have a good website where you can check if they have the book or not.

I use my library every week. If I want to read a book which I'm not sure whether I will like it or not (or want to buy it or not) I'll borrow it from the library. I also use library to find as many Rory books and 1001 Books as I can because there's no way I'm buying all of them :readingtwo: I also like to browse through the books that have been offed from their collection and are for sale, and of course browse through the free books trolley from which I've found some amazing books and to which I've also given some of my own books which I won't be reading again.

and of course browse through the free books trolley from which I've found some amazing books and to which I've also given some of my own books which I won't be reading again.

What? What is this, free book trolley? Free books? :readingtwo: In exchange for own books or something? We don't have that at ours. :D

What? What is this, free book trolley? Free books? :D In exchange for own books or something? We don't have that at ours. :lol:

It's a fairly new invention in our library, I think it started last summer. Suddenly there was just these two trolleys full of books that one could take with them and read. Yes, for free! It's also recommended that people would also bring in some books (like the ones you've read but don't feel like keeping), otherwise the trolleys would be empty in no time :readingtwo: There's nobody keeping tally of the books, nobody's watching how many books you take and if you bring as many books as you take. It's all up to one's conscience :lol:

I don't use Libraries at all mainly because of the hassle of getting to one, I may as well go into town and go to Waterstones as the selection is greater and I don't have to wait weeks or even months for the latest titles plus I get to keep them to add to my own future personal library.

But I do take the toddlers I nanny to the library once a week which they love so I do still visit them.

Edited by cosychair

I am a member of my local library but i don't use it much, only for books that i can't find in town and don't want to spend money ordering, but i tend to buy and keep most of my books. Having said that, there are a whole bunch of classic books that i haven't read at all in my life so i will most likely use the library to catch up on these books rather than buy them new. :friends0:

I use my library occasionally, when I want to read a book but don't currently have the money for it. I haven't been there for a while though, since I owe them money.

It's expensive, but I enjoy owning my own books - I like the thought of building my own library. :friends0:

There is no reserve fee at all in my Library, I'm suprised to read that so many have to pay.

I would have added this to my other post but it wont let me edit it for some reason.

I've discussed this on other threads and I think I'm in the minority of not having to pay for reserved books!

Bit of relief as I'm always online finding books to read!

Not really - I don't like giving books back :friends0:.

Snap. I like to read my own book so just tend to buy the books I really want. :D It's been a few years since I was in my local library because I really hated it the last time I was in. I might try a new one though :D

No - since its poorly provisioned and the local populace seem determined that 'reality' television is the height of intellectual prowess, besides Bingo

:roll: and DOUBLE>>>:lol:!!!

I used to live in them as a kid, but now I have money of my own. (And, a car!) If I just want to read something current I get it at the local used-book store and then give it away later, and I decide when later is! Could be a year or two. Imagine the fines for a book that late!

I use my library a lot. The libraries in Suffolk are fantastic. It's free to reserve books, I didn't realise some people had to pay. Also you can request a book from any of the County libraries and have it delivered to any branch as well.

If they haven't got a book that you want to read you can suggest it and they'll do their best to get it for you.

My love of reading started as a small child reading Enid Blyton and the William series late at night. From an early age this was always complimented by a weekly or fortnightly trip to our local library in Portadown Northern and I can stil remember one of the lady librarians Mrs Tortilani....I loved the smell of the place, the books, the little corners you could read and the great escapism that books offered....they still do to this day. In this age of technology books give us the chance to escape to enter a world of imagination and to feel and be part of the story...something that television or any form of technology can never hope to achieve

So I will always attend my local library here in Hanham Bristol and recapture the thrill that only a new book and a good read can bring ;):)