Do you use your local library...?

Do you use your local library?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use your local library?

I used to use the library a lot.

Since moving I haven't been to the new local library. Mainly because I am not sure where it is. My boyfriend knows but he just tells me it is "on that road, near that other road. Gone down the other road before."

I keep meaning to ask him to take me there on his day off but keep forgetting.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's always worth a trip to the local library...yes I love buying books and I love the smell and feel of them but you never know what you find in that treasure trove that is your local library :readingtwo: I am reading a Lawrence Block Crime novel at the moment and as the library is situated just a few minutes from my front door...I popped in and there is the latest Lawrence Block book "A drop of the hard stuff" together with a firm favourite of mine Mo Hayder and one of her latest "Gone" and finally a new crime release The Cutting by James Hayman....yes lets here it for, and indeed support our local library especially when there is talk of library closures!! never I hear you cry..so let's lend our support and borrow books :readingtwo: :readingtwo:

I was at the library with my son, Xander, this very afternoon. :) He picked out 10 books for himself (the maximum they allow) and I picked up 5 for myself too. We visit every couple of weeks at least - we love it! :)

Since I last posted, I've found the library.

Immy and I have both got new library cards and have been taking out plenty of books :D

The local library is fantastically stocked and everything is easy to find. When I lived in High Wycombe the library was MASSIVE but it was impossible to find anything - most of the books I read where ones on the return shelf. There were hundreds of sections, thousands of books and no order at all (for example Jane Eyre could be found in the classics, fiction, chick lit, young adult and history sections). Even the staff couldn't find a book despite seeing on the system that it was there and hadn't been taken out.

I find it strange that you have to pay to have your books moved around.

My library is only small but it doesn't cost me anything. I do have a few libraries in the area though that they can move them around from so maybe that's why it's free. Although my latest book wasn't local I'd say it was probs 40 mins away :huh:

You'd think it would be the same service for everyone as it's all funded by the governemnt :huh:

Hmm thats odd isn't it, that one area does it free and another charges. It must depend on the local council I suppose. It does annoy me a little that I have to pay 30p as most books I want from my library are never in the small one I have here.

The main library in Durham City has stopped a lot of books getting booked out from there too and it has put them as "reference only" which means you can only read them in the library which is inconvenient.

Your library service sounds great, much better than mine! :D

Edited by HoneyGirl

Our local libraries charge to get a book brought in from another branch. I think they also charge to reserve them. This is why I just never bother with that - if the book isn't there, I just take different books and wait for another time to get the ones I originally wanted. They do, however, take note of any books I want that they don't have at any of their branches, so that they always have a list of books people want that the ydon't have when they're buying new books, which is great.

My old school library, which is the local library for that area, has no spending budget at all (and hasn't for several years now) so I donate al lmy unwanted boks to them. If they get duplicate books, they sell them so they have a little money to buy other books, which is great. I must have donated several hundred books to them so far and wil lcontinue doing so until they tel lme they don't want any more - LOL! :)

Our local libraries charge to get a book brought in from another branch. I think they also charge to reserve them. This is why I just never bother with that - if the book isn't there, I just take different books and wait for another time to get the ones I originally wanted. They do, however, take note of any books I want that they don't have at any of their branches, so that they always have a list of books people want that the ydon't have when they're buying new books, which is great.

My local library also charge 50p each to reserve a bookand of course it may have gone up since I last did this, and as I have 26 books to my tbr list I don't tend to bother........

Our local library charges €1,50 for any book you order from other libraries. It used to be €1.00, but they're in trouble and about to close down so I understand. We have a great library, I like the way they've arranged the books, the service is excellent and they have a nice collection. It would be a shame if that closed down.

I can't always afford to order books from other libraries though, sometimes if I really want to read that book I still use that service, but I've had a membership of other libraries in nearby towns on a bicycle-ride-distance so I could find those books there instead of ordering them here. That saved me a lot of money in the end because I read a lot and being a member of this or that meant I had to pay less for those extra library memberships. Now I read a little less than before since I'm too busy doing other things, but as soon as I will spend more time reading again, I'm planning to rejoin at least one other library in a nearby town.

• 6 months later...

Only to borrow cds from. Don't use it to find new authors.

Went today and actually found some paperbacks, Richard Montanari, The echo man and Quintin Jardine, Grievous angel. I promise next time to look in the Sci-fi section.

I saw The Bat - Jo Nesbo. in a read it quickly section. It said Read within a week No renewals. I could probably do it if I borrowed it on a friday.

Edited by dex