Do you use your local library...?

Do you use your local library?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use your local library?

Unfortunatly, they don't have that much English books, so I have to buy those I want to read in English. And, getting better at it, that are quite much.

Have you tried making a "request" for books in English LittleW? Most Libraries go to great effort to get a book - even if they have to borrow it from somewhere else in the country, like a college, maybe.Some can borrow books from even outside of our countries!.

They might take a bit of time to get to you, but would be worth the wait.

Or maybe they have a list of all books in English available for borrowing, around your country? You mightn't get exactly what you're looking for - but you might also find some other interesting choices available. It's worth asking. :D

Edited by Booknutt

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to use it a lot before I got my Kindle; now I hardly ever use it. :blush: Ours has ebooks, but unfortunately none are compatible with the Kindle yet. I may go for a walk down to the library over the weekend, just to have a browse. I do like the atmosphere. :)

The "atmosphere" of a Library is it's own special one, isn't it BB?

I always find myself relaxing quickly, in mine.

and, of course - even "Kindle" books have to be bought but Library books are still free :wink:

Have you tried making a "request" for books in English LittleW? Most Libraries go to great effort to get a book - even if they have to borrow it from somewhere else in the country, like a college, maybe.Some can borrow books from even outside of our countries!.

They might take a bit of time to get to you, but would be worth the wait.

Or maybe they have a list of all books in English available for borrowing, around your country? You mightn't get exactly what you're looking for - but you might also find some other interesting choices available. It's worth asking. :D

No, I haven't yet, but it's a good tip. I probably will try sometimes, at the moment I have a TBR, which will take me through the next year. :wink:

I heard, that smaller libraries sometimes do it, but I don't know, if it's also for English books.

• 3 weeks later...

I used to borrow books from the Fiction Section in my university library. Last year I've lost my library card and now, when I've got only 4 months left till graduating, I don't want to bother making a new one. But books are getting more and more expensive. It's even a challenge to find cheap second-hand books. :( So now I'm thinking of going to a local library. :)

Hi Ptashka -

It's certainly worth that little bit of trouble, for even the best charity shops often don't have what you'll be fancying as a "read" - but your Library almost certainly will - or be able to get it for you for much less.

I'll be off to mine tomorrow. I watched the Da Vinci Code movie last night, and it reminded me what a fascinating "read" this novel is!

In 2001 we had a serious house fire, we claimed £10.000 on books, insurance company came to have a look as they didn't believe us, after visiting they said we had probably seriously underestimated :D

I had a huge TBR shelf, but gradually got through them by being strict and not buying anymore and when I read them donated them to charity shops (that was so hard), I am addicted to second hand book shops and stalls.

In 2010 we downsized and didn't have so much space I started using our local library, what a shock no stamps anymore all self service and scanning of books.

I do wish there was a bigger choice, and in October the hours are being cut, to save money :( but overall it is not too bad.

I go to mine on occasion. I find that I will borrow maybe seven or eight books at a time, which my local library allows you to borrow books for three weeks at a time. Luckily I can renew online and reserve online for free which is pretty good. It has a huge selection of books, but I do think that it needs to be a bit more up to date with the books it has. I did used to go to the library reading group and struggled to try and set up a young person's reading group with the library a year or so ago now but life goes on and it never came to fruition. Anyway I use it occasionally because otherwise I'll borrow out lots of books but then never read them and then return them disappointed with myself. So I have lots of books on my TBR pile sat on my bookshelves so time to read those first!

However I do rather like the fact that my library had a makeover done to it a few months ago, it is lovely and clean and fresh in the welcoming area now, and I like the fact that they have machines now where you can borrow and return your books.

The staff there are friendly and helpful with anything you need, I tried applying there for a job last year but I didn't get it sadly. I really wanted to work there!

Do you visit your local library? Is it any good? Is there a good selection, or do you often have to request your book from another branch? How friendly are the staff? :(

I visit my local library quite often and it is a very good one. They usually get all the major releases in pretty quickly. The staff are very nice and talkative as well. It also has a lot of places to sit and read if you want to.

I only use libraries for schoolwork. And so far they have had 98% of what I was looking for. Especially the school's library has all you need, since the teachers make sure they choose course books the library has. ;) That is terrific, cause then you can copy the material you need, instead of buying books. You save so much money!!!!!!

I am lucky enough to have a huge library just a few minutes away which is also connected to several other libraries, with an online catalogue, so I can reserve books from home (for free). Also anytime there is a book that I want and they don't have canusually request for them to get it. I am a bit sneaky and go to my fave site for books coming out by my fave authors and then go straight to my library site and book them so I am usually within the first few to get a copy...I LOVE my libray!!!! :)

I am lucky enough to have a huge library just a few minutes away which is also connected to several other libraries, with an online catalogue, so I can reserve books from home (for free). Also anytime there is a book that I want and they don't have canusually request for them to get it. I am a bit sneaky and go to my fave site for books coming out by my fave authors and then go straight to my library site and book them so I am usually within the first few to get a copy...I LOVE my libray!!!! :)

Codysmum has got a good idea there, Dawnbird - what about checking out your library catalogue (online, or on their premises) you may find there's quite a bit of choice - they just can't have it all on the shelves at once.

Yes, Codysmum - I do the general search-and-then-order at my library too, for new books - presently waiting for my turn at the latest Phillipa Gregory - "Lady of the Rivers"

Enjoy yourselves at your own "locals" fellow bookworms!

I've only just recently started using my library.

I used to use it a lot when I was younger.

I can't believe how advanced it is. It's so much better.

I can go online & search for books & reserve them & choose which library I'd like to collect them from & they deliver them there & email me when my books arrived. They move them around from different libraries in the area. Best part is it's ALL FREE. I think it's an amazing service!!! :D

Yes often, I'm in there at least 2x a week. However, If I can get those darn books to download on my Nook, I will probably be in there a lot less. I have mastered getting the audiobooks on the ipod, this is my last hurdle.

The New York Public Library is an amazing system. I don't know how other libraries around the worlds are run, but I'm happy I live in in NYC.

• 1 month later...

I have only just started using my local library again. I use the Library Online first to see if they have the book in that I want, I usually have to get it sent to my local library from another in one the county as its only a small library round the corner from me, which can be a pain as it costs 30p every time I do that.

I grew up next to Forest Hall library in Newcastle, my Mam still uses it to this day(40+ years). I've been a member of the local library where ever I've lived, Elgin was probably the best the staff were class, my current library here in Oz is also excellent

Libraries seem to be easy targets for council cuts, but to my mind they are an esential part of community life.

I love libraries long may they prosper.

I have only just started using my local library again. I use the Library Online first to see if they have the book in that I want, I usually have to get it sent to my local library from another in one the county as its only a small library round the corner from me, which can be a pain as it costs 30p every time I do that.

I find it strange that you have to pay to have your books moved around.

My library is only small but it doesn't cost me anything. I do have a few libraries in the area though that they can move them around from so maybe that's why it's free. Although my latest book wasn't local I'd say it was probs 40 mins away :huh:

You'd think it would be the same service for everyone as it's all funded by the governemnt :huh:

Edited by Star

Our library has played a big part in my life for many years, but I'd say I don't use it much any longer. I'll occasionally give in and bring a stack home ,but rarely end up reading them,since I have such a huge pile here of my own to read .

Our libraries are free ,unless your book is overdue then you have to pay 5 cents per day .Our state has had lots of cuts in library funding .Oddly, our LAST governor was a big "OHIO READS" supporter,but when funding in the state got rough,the libraries were the first thing that got cut . They all had to shorten their hours of operation, buying of new books, etc . They also had a nice inter-library-loan program,so we could order books from a very wide part of the state. They still provide that service, but it isn't nearly as useful now,since funds were cut, there are fewer new books to be shared,so it's easier to buy a book if you want it anytime soon .

They have a fairly new service called Express Reads ,where you have the book for 7 days .These are all the newer books,but something about a 7 day deadline bothers me, I really don't like reading under a time frame ,so rarely use it .

I've met people online before from other states where they have to pay a yearly fee to be a library user . I wouldnt be surprised if they make that rule here someday .

Edited by julie

I find it strange that you have to pay to have your books moved around.

My library is only small but it doesn't cost me anything. I do have a few libraries in the area though that they can move them around from so maybe that's why it's free. Although my latest book wasn't local I'd say it was probs 40 mins away :huh:

You'd think it would be the same service for everyone as it's all funded by the governemnt :huh:

Sadly library charges vary enormously from place to place. The libraries are funded by councils, rather than the actual government so it's up to each council to set their own budget/charges.

In Bath and North East Somerset where I live, I have to pay 75p per book to reserve a book online and £1.50 to do it in person or by telephone, even if that's from the library in the village next to us which is only about 2 miles away! (Obviously I'd drive there in that case).

In Somerset it's 80p per item online, but children's books taken out on a children's ticket are free.

In Wiltshire it's 75p per book - as far as I can tell from their website, that's regardless to whether it's online or person/telephone, but it's free to reserve a children's book even if on an adult card.

You're incredibly lucky that your reservations are free. :)

Sadly library charges vary enormously from place to place. The libraries are funded by councils, rather than the actual government so it's up to each council to set their own budget/charges.

In Bath and North East Somerset where I live, I have to pay 75p per book to reserve a book online and £1.50 to do it in person or by telephone, even if that's from the library in the village next to us which is only about 2 miles away! (Obviously I'd drive there in that case).

In Somerset it's 80p per item online, but children's books taken out on a children's ticket are free.

In Wiltshire it's 75p per book - as far as I can tell from their website, that's regardless to whether it's online or person/telephone, but it's free to reserve a children's book even if on an adult card.

You're incredibly lucky that your reservations are free. :)

I didn't realise it was different all over the country.

I am very lucky indeed you are quite right. Only good thing about living in Birmingham I think :giggle2:

x

Since moving house I have registered with my local library but not quite got around to going there to collect my library card.

I will do this soon. There is a particular audio book which I really want (high sentimental value) and I cannot find it online anywhere, so thought I would try the library reservation service.

Although I do my utmost to encourage others to use public libaries, I am guilty of neglecting them myself. The main problem I have is that the books have to be returned! I'm ashamed to admit I tend only to visit libraries to check out the withdrawn stock (which does provide money I suppose).

I am very lucky indeed you are quite right. Only good thing about living in Birmingham I think :giggle2:

:lol: I've only been to Birmingham once, which was when my son was still using a high-chair - he's a 6'3" 17-year-old now!

I've just realised that the way I phrased my sentence about you being lucky sounded incredibly patronising - I didn't mean it to come out that way! :blush:

:lol: I've only been to Birmingham once, which was when my son was still using a high-chair - he's a 6'3" 17-year-old now!

I've just realised that the way I phrased my sentence about you being lucky sounded incredibly patronising - I didn't mean it to come out that way! :blush:

Don't be silly. I didn't interpret it that way.

I thought exactly the same as you that I am very lucky.

I hope I haven't just jinxed it & they make me pay :huh:

x

p.s - 6'3 at 17 core blimey!!! He'll break some hearts :wink:

Edited by Star