Do you use your local library...?

Do you use your local library?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use your local library?

What's wrong with a book every three weeks, Amesy? That's the standard "loan" period - or you could renew it, and keep it out as long as necessary.

At today's prices, it's still quite a saving on the cash, too. :D

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we'll be using our library more often now, as Xan is really getting into books and we've discovered they do a story, song and rhyme time every few weeks too. I took Xan along for the first time yesterday which was good fun. It's just a half-hour session, but it's long enough and we exchanged his books while we were there too. :)

Libraries are one of my favourite places in town :D

Rooms filled with books! How is that not exciting?

Though it can be frustrating choosing what to read if there's more books you like. Luckily, they won't be going anywhere - well, sort of :D - so we can get to read them sooner or later.

And librarians, they are just so ... special :lol:

At least the ones in the libraries I go to.

I used the library a lot last year when I was made redundant, not necessarily for the books but for the computers to check jobs online. Everyone was very helpful, it was nice to see how many people still use the library.

Oh my goodness yes--I'm a regular at our City's Public Library. Not only do they have a fantastic selection, but they are on a network with all the other libraries in a 30 mile radius meaning I can request books from other cities and have them within a few days. I can only remember one time when the book I was looking for wasn't in the system: so I asked them to order it and they did! Requests and renewals are free, the only thing you pay for is the $0.50 membership card and any overdue fines (which at $0.10 a day are never steep). I love my library! Have 6 books checked out from them right now. :D

Edited by Kasei

Bet you love the kid's group just as much as they do, Kell. :D That's one thing people who have never experienced parenthood (or auntie/uncle-hood) miss out on. The fun of having a child in the family. When my nieces were small there was quite a competition among the elders to remember all the old nursery rhymes etc., and the history attached to each one.

I'm glad they're coming back again - though our local Nursery school can't sing "Baa baa black sheep" anymore - it has to be "Baa baa little sheep" instead! I'm all for respecting our differences - but surely that's taking it a bit too far?!

What about if we each tell the others what books we have on loan at the moment? I'm always open for suggestions.

Currently I have "Bronte in Love" (an autobiography of Charlotte, telling of her frustrations and disappointments in love)and for light relief, a couple of old favourites -

"Confessions of a Jane Austen Addict" Laurie Veira Rigler and

"Austenland" by Shannon Hale.

I do love indulging my obsessions! :lol:

What about the rest of you?

Edited by Booknutt

I brought back several books to the library today and have one left at home to start reading: "Wish you were here" by Mike Gayle. I previously read his "The to-do list" and "Turning thirty", both great reads. He is very funny and at the same time puts life lessons in his books, well, they were in "The to-do list" and "Turning thirty" anyway. I think Gayle is probably the funniest writer from the U.K. since Townsend.

I deliberately didn't stay long in our library today, because when I do I always end up taking lots of books while I still have a few unread books of my own at home, waiting for months to be read. :lol: And now I'm finally going to finish those too and until I've read them all, I'll be taking less books than normal from the library. Well, I'll try anyway. :D It's always difficult to go the library and not take many books home!

Yesh, my local library is also connected to a network all over Vancouver, even the Univeristy libraries.

We get laons for one month, then three renewals online, or movies for one week, but I never keep them that long.

On your online account, you can keep a TBR list, then request the next book to arrive at your local branch once you are ready.

The best thing about it is that it is only 3 blocks away, the perfect walking distance for my little dog (min pin). She waits in the lobby while I check out whatever I had requested, then we play in the off leash park before going home. Sometimes I feel bad if Lucy (the dog) hasnt been to the library in a week, our favorite outing.

j

Lol - me too. My wife and son have cards, and no address based alarms went off when they joined. Part of me thinks If I break cover they will say "oh don't worry we have an amnesty", but part of me knows they are there, waiting, for me to show, and to lock me away !

I will have to do it, though, as I love Libraries and my absence has coincided with child rearing. Seem to have more time now !

I went on Saturday. Returned my book 9 years late - no fine, a bit of teasing, and I feel so much better. Great selection available too. :D

Well done, John - did you borrow anything after clearing your conscience, or leaving it till later?

Hope you and Lucy enjoy many more Library visits, jjzazzy. How about getting a book on her breed, and reading it to her? Especially the bits about what she should be doing, but probably isn't? (It didn't work with my dog, but y'never know!) :wink:

Today I got Charlaine Harris' Dead Until Dark from the library. yes, I am finally starting the True Blood books. I love the series, always meant to read em, but didn't quite want to spend money on it till I knew if I liked em. It's hit or miss for me with books like this.

Only downside about library books; someone doodled and scratched on the page of the.. blast, now I forgot what that's called.. the page where the author thanks special people. I totally and utterly forgot the english word for it. But anyway, someone did enjoy themselves with a pen there. Can't understand those people, it's not your book, so quit it!

Well done, John - did you borrow anything after clearing your conscience, or leaving it till later?

I did indeed, King/Cornwell and Demille. Currently reading the latter, The Gate House

Hi, you fellow bookworms!

Yes Univerze, Library books can be a handy way to "size up" a new author before spending real amounts of cash on buying. Isn't the price of even paperbacks nowadays shocking?! Even buying online can be quite pricy, especially for a serious :readingtwo:

I agree with you - it's so disrespectful when foolish people deface any books - regardless of where we get them. I think I must be strongly connected with a past-life where books were really scarce and valuable, for I've always felt strongly about looking after my own, and try to encourage other people to do likewise. :D

John - I suspected that you'd be tempted back among the shelves! Getting back into the old routine will be opening up all kinds of interesting "doors" for you entertainment-wise. Enjoy!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I have made a 'Mid-Year Resolution' to try to use my library more. I've recently taken one book out, read and returned it! We don't have a brilliant selection though but we can reserve from 5 library authorities (although it costs 75p online and £1.50 to reserve in the library/over the phone). I still have loads and loads of 'to read' books, but I'm going to make an effort to borrow rather than buy from now on!

I have made a 'Mid-Year Resolution' to try to use my library more. I've recently taken one book out, read and returned it! We don't have a brilliant selection though but we can reserve from 5 library authorities (although it costs 75p online and £1.50 to reserve in the library/over the phone). I still have loads and loads of 'to read' books, but I'm going to make an effort to borrow rather than buy from now on!

I remember writing in a post about online reservation fees (can't find the posts right now) and how much different this fee is around the country. My online reservation fee is only 25p - that's quite a big difference. I don't know how these fees are costed out.

It makes good sense, Janet. Even £1.75 is lots cheaper than an average of £7.99 to buy a new book, or even £5(?) online.

I've currently got "Lady of the Rivers" the upcoming new Phillipa Gregory historical novel on order at my Library. In just-published hardback, it's pretty pricy (£18.99 or a bit less online) but for a £1 request fee, it'll be a great treat. :D

Have happy hours in there Janet, choosing your next "reads" and chatting about them to fellow bookworms ... another bonus of using Libraries.

Edited by Booknutt

I still go to my library reading group meeting once a month, and we have a pretty good turn out, so I hope that it will continue despite the cuts to library funding.

I only use it occasionally now for book borrowing, but I always reserve books online then collect them when ready, never browse. The cost has gone up quite a lot for this service though, when I started doing it about three years ago it as 60p per online reservation and it's now £1.20.

I'm still hoping for ebooks being added to their resources being available, and they have a note on the front page of the library website saying it's something they're looking into, but I think that might still be a way off yet.

I remember writing in a post about online reservation fees (can't find the posts right now) and how much different this fee is around the country. My online reservation fee is only 25p - that's quite a big difference. I don't know how these fees are costed out.

Yes, there seems to be big variations from county to county - it's definitely not standard.

Have happy hours in there Janet, choosing your next "reads" and chatting about them to fellow bookworms ... another bonus of using Libraries.

Thanks. :) I'm hoping to pop into Bath library on Wednesday, which is much larger than our local one.

I'm still hoping for ebooks being added to their resources being available, and they have a note on the front page of the library website saying it's something they're looking into, but I think that might still be a way off yet.

I've been having a discussion about this on another (non-book) forum I frequent. I haven't investigated yet, but Herts Council have eBooks and apparently anyone can join! They're not suitable for Kindles, but it's a step in the right direction. I also understand that Essex have eBooks, although you have to live in-county to use that service.

I enquired in our library (on their Facebook page - there is no info on their website) but they said the "currently have no plans to offer eBooks, but are watching other councils to see what happens with them..." (or words to that effect!).

I used to use it a lot before I got my Kindle; now I hardly ever use it. :blush: Ours has ebooks, but unfortunately none are compatible with the Kindle yet. I may go for a walk down to the library over the weekend, just to have a browse. I do like the atmosphere. :)