Do you use your local library...?

Do you use your local library?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use your local library?

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've started going to ours quite a lot. I do often find that I have to request specific books, but I have noticed some on the shelves that I eventually want to read.

I try to visit regularly now, as both my girls have their own cards. They have tons of books upstairs, but they seem to prefer getting library books to read!

And yes, most of the staff are lovely, and are starting to recognise us. :(

I used to go to the library about every other day when Dale & I were in our 1st flat, as there was a branch on the corner of our street. I was in there so often that the librarians knew the kind of thing I liked & since they knew I'd be in within a coupole of days, they used to keep things to one side for me if they thought I'd be interested.

I still go occasionally now, but I haven't been in a couple of months as I have so many unread books on my own shelves that I wasnt to get into. Our main library's not bad at all, but it always seems like the books I specifically want are never there & would have to be ordered in - which costs money every time, so I'd end up spending loads of money all the time - LOL! There's a branch just slightly out of my way on my route home from work, which is rather handy too..

I use the computers in the library sometimes - if I'm killing time before picking up the children from school etc.

I've taken out textbooks, and did have 'Shopaholic and Sister' from them when it came out in hardback, but I don't really like hardbacks and our library doesn't have a very big paperback section.

The children like going to the library - I should probably make more of an effort to take them!

It's closed at the moment for an 8 week refit, so perhaps it will have more to offer when it reopens.

I go to the library every week/two weeks depending on how many books I took out the last time. I love getting books out there and wandering around the isles to see what they have in :(

They do seem to be cutting back though, unfortunately. My library takes up less space now than it used to and since they 'refurbished' it, a lot of books have gone. They spread the books around Lancashire now, so if you want to read a whole series, you have to pay for half of them to be posted in.

We have a great library and I use it frequently. They also have a nice website where you can browse their "catalog" and put a hold on items. They then will notify you by email when the item is ready for pickup. There is no charge for using the library and whenever I have requested them to order a book or music CD they have always done so.

Take a look at their website. I like the "Whats New" feature.

http://aries.jmrl.org/screens/mainmenu.html

I used to go all the time, but once I went to uni I stopped going. Sadly now I don't get there before it closes. I could go on Saturday morning, but that is when I do my shopping, go to the dry cleaners, do my housework, sort my manicure out, go to the post office, sort out my banking and bills, do any gardening chores and once every month go to the hairdressers.

Understandably, the library never gets a look-in!

Oh, another nice feature of our library. It keeps a running list on their website of everything that you have ever borrowed (Reading List) and you can log-in your account and view it. It also permits you to delete any or all of the items on your "Reading List" after accessing your account

Dont go to the library as much any more because I was always getting fines. Ours has a really good childrens section, I use to love it when I was younger beause you could sit on a train and read a book.

Thought most of the staff at ours were a bit strange though, often wondered if any of them really went home, cause they always wore the same thing. :(

I go to the library nearly every day - but then I wouldn't get paid if I didn't!!!

Louise - there is usually a maximum fine limit (of a few pounds) that stops increasing when the book is returned, or when it reaches a certain time limit of lateness.

You are only allowed to keep financial data like this for 7 years by law as well - so as of last year you should be free!!!

• 9 months later...

I use my local library a lot, but mostly to pick up books I've reserved online from other branches. I tend to use it for non-fiction, particularly when I'm doing research.

The staff are very friendly (mostly!) but it's quite a small library and has a small selection of books. It also, very annoyingly, has all the non-fiction under the heading of Information Books, which is quite useless really. I know now where the appropriate sections are, but it's infuriating to start with, and sooo unnecessary.

Like most libraries, it seems, it has a lot of computers and dvds, which is fine, but not if it means the range of books has to be limited.

Still, without the library my research would cost me a fortune and I really like being able to browse at home and reserve things on line for 50p a go. It also has a great children's section with a reading area which my son loves.

I go to our local Library for non fiction but not for fiction as i like to own fiction books and keep them on my bookshelf....

However our local Library is very good and the children's section is very good.

Our local Library was on Richard and Judy a couple of weeks ago as they were reviewing a book there!

I voted "only occaisionally", cuz the one in town I can only get to in the summer holidays (although I do usually end up going every few days...they always seem to be the same books, though) The library at my school is actually really good. I go in there before school (mainly just to meet my friends LOL, but I sometimes return books or book a computer) at break (meet friends, go on computer, read, or borrow/return books) and at lunch (same as break)

The Librarians at my school library are really nice: they know what books I like and are always trying to find me new books to read (and are the primary reason my TBR list is so enormous!:D ) and you can request books, too...although I requested a book halfway through year 7 and they haven't got it. I'm now in year 9. They're also really good if you want information for homework and stuff, as well.

Since working at the library I've used it a lot more - it's hard to resist the books when you're with them all day. The branch I work at is fairly small and as a result everyone knows each other - I've always likened it to the Kabin in Coronation Street. Because it is small we have limited space for books but are always happy to track down titles for our readers or put forward their suggestions for new books. One of the benefits of working in the library is that I'm on hand to pick up books for my daughter - she's always loved reading but now permanently has a book on the go.