The Thirteenth Tale ~ Diane Setterfield

Kafa on the Shore ~ Huruki Murakami

Breath of Snow and Ashes ~ Diana Gabaldon

The Ghost at the Table ~ Suzanne Berne

The Reader ~ Bernhard Schlink

The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle ~ Haruki Murakami

Animal Farm ~ George Orwell

ATTEMPTED READS

A Prayer for Owen Meany ~ John Irving - Sorry ....but I just couldn't get through this one. Perhaps if someone here has read it and enjoyed it, they can give me a little insight into what I have so obviously missed. For me ....it was so bogged down with tedious detail and rantings that I found myself have to re-read whole chapters as I couldn't remember what I had read from the time I put it down until I picked it up again. Sadly, I didn't even make it half-way through. Perhaps I just didn't give it a chance.

Edited by NovaLee
Updated List

Hey there can you tell me what you thought of The Lovely Bones and The Time Traveler's Wife, as they're two books I have on Mount TBR and I would love to know your thoughts? :lol:

Hey there can you tell me what you thought of The Lovely Bones and The Time Traveler's Wife, as they're two books I have on Mount TBR and I would love to know your thoughts? :lol:

Oh for sure ...let's see ~

The Lovely Bones ~ The narrator is 14-year old murder victim Susie Salmon. Raped and killed by her neighbour, Susie ascends to heaven where she observes how her death has affected her family and those around her.

It's a grisly subject but overall, I thought it was a good read. I think Alice Seabold does a nice job of portraying the everyday life of those who must try to move on and accept the fact that a loved one is gone and I liked her fresh insight on heaven ....although, I do hope that if I go to heaven I don't have to spend quite so much time watching everyone back on earth. There was one scene though, near the end where she "drops down to earth" that seemed a bit incompatable with the rest of the story ...for me anyway, it seemed a bit out of context. All-in-all, I'd give it 3 out 5 stars.

The Time Traveler's Wife ~ Sci-fi concept (although doesn't read like a science fiction book) and a touching love story. Henry is a librarian with "Chrono Displacement" disorder; at random times, he disappears without warning and finds himself (naked) in the past or future. Told alternately from the viewpoints of time traveler Henry and his wife, Clare.

The first part of the story is about Clare growing up with Henry popping in and out of her life, which I thought was an interesting concept and nicely done. I also enjoyed the transition, when grown-up Claire recognizes Henry ..and he has not yet met her. For me, it got a little ...um, domestic, I guess would be the word mid-way and I found myself thinking; "Ok ok, I get it, let's get on with it." It does pick up steam though as the book progresses and I flew through the back-half. This novel is not for those looking for a sappy love story, nor is it for the hardcore sci-fi fan. It's simply a good story with an interesting plot. Overall I enjoyed the book; thought it was well written. Is it worth reading? Absolutely!

• 3 weeks later...

Just finished up Breath of Snow and Ashes by Diana Gabaldon

Synopsis:

"The year is 1772, and on the eve of the American Revolution, the long fuse of rebellion has already been lit. Men lie dead in the streets of Boston, and in the backwoods of North Carolina, isolated cabins burn in the forest.

With chaos brewing, the governor calls upon Jamie Fraser to unite the backcountry and safeguard the colony for King and Crown. But from his wife Jamie knows that three years hence the shot heard round the world will be fired, and the result will be independence

Up next a psychological drama ....The Ghost at the Table ~ Suzanne Berne. This is my bookclub's latest pick ....

Synopsis:

"Cynthia Fiske is a writer living in California, aloof from her family back in Massachusetts. Her sister, Frances, begs her to come back for Thanksgiving, since their father is dying and his second wife is divorcing him. Their mother died mysteriously when they were younger while their father was having the affair with the woman he eventually married. Cynthia writes historical novels around famous sisters, so she agrees to come home since she can also do some research on Mark Twain's daughters. When she arrives, she finds herself sucked into an old-time Thanksgiving dinner with a host of relatives, and as she and her sister recall stories from their collective past, they clash over whose version is correct. As the family history and secrets are peeled back, they'll have to decide whose memories are faulty."

Review:

There is tension and conflict in the Fiske family, resulting from the unacknowledged envy and resentment felt by Cynthia toward her older sister Frances. Frances appears to have it all; beautiful home, two daughters, loving husband and a successful career as an interior designer. But all is not as it appears to be on the surface and Cynthia has a tendency to prey on these weaknesses. Cynthia has gone home to join her family for Thanksgiving at Frances’s request. Frances has suggested that she is experiencing marital problems as well as other conflicts and she feels that Cynthia’s presence at Thanksgiving would in some way help to ease her problems. Because Cynthia lives a carefree, unattached life in California, she is able to distance herself from family tensions and her own unresolved feelings about them. But coming home forces her to confront her childhood and it's messy, unresolved issues. Rather than being helpful and supportive, her presence only increases existing difficulties. Cynthia is a writer and is writing an historical fiction novel for young readers and there are some interesting parallels between the Cynthia's family and Mark Twain's family throughout the book. All in all, this is a good book and worth the read. :friends0:

Edited by NovaLee
Add Review

:friends0: lovely bones it was good book

also her other book was great

Hu funrun :D The Lovely Bones was pretty good. I haven't read anything else by Alice Seabold but I have a co-worker who just finished Lucky and she says that one is good too. I've put it on Mount TBR but just haven't gotten to it yet. :motz:

Up next a psychological drama ....The Ghost at the Table ~ Suzanne Berne. This is my bookclub's latest pick ....

Synopsis:

"Cynthia Fiske is a writer living in California, aloof from her family back in Massachusetts. Her sister, Frances, begs her to come back for Thanksgiving, since their father is dying and his second wife is divorcing him. Their mother died mysteriously when they were younger while their father was having the affair with the woman he eventually married. Cynthia writes historical novels around famous sisters, so she agrees to come home since she can also do some research on Mark Twain's daughters. When she arrives, she finds herself sucked into an old-time Thanksgiving dinner with a host of relatives, and as she and her sister recall stories from their collective past, they clash over whose version is correct. As the family history and secrets are peeled back, they'll have to decide whose memories are faulty."

I've checked the various reviews of this book and it sounds compelling. I'll have to add it to my wishlist! :friends0:

Hi Ladies :D ~ I'll be sure to let you know what I think of The Ghost at the Table. I'm only on the second chapter right now .....didn't get much reading done today ~ season premiere of House was this evening and I can't miss House. :friends0: So far though, the book is interesting and I think I'm going to enjoy it.

• 2 weeks later...

I couldn't finish the book "Owen Meany" either. And this is after seeing "Simon Birch" the movie version of the book AND after hearing John Irving read from it live. When I started reading it, I was not happy. I have liked other Irving novels, this one just didn't do it for me.

Hi Ladies :D ~ I'll be sure to let you know what I think of The Ghost at the Table. I'm only on the second chapter right now .....didn't get much reading done today ~ season premiere of House was this evening and I can't miss House. :blush: So far though, the book is interesting and I think I'm going to enjoy it.

I love House too, am watching season 2 on DVD at the moment, wish I could watch season 6 but will have to wait

I couldn't finish the book "Owen Meany" either. And this is after seeing "Simon Birch" the movie version of the book AND after hearing John Irving read from it live. When I started reading it, I was not happy. I have liked other Irving novels, this one just didn't do it for me.

The unfortunate thing is that Owen Meany was the first John Irving (believe it or not :lol:) novel I've attempted and now I'm hesitant to try another of his books. I will try another at one point, just not sure which one yet.

I love House too, am watching season 2 on DVD at the moment, wish I could watch season 6 but will have to wait

Ooh ...I love House! :lol: He is such a ill-mannered, genious. :) Have you caught up yet, or are you still watching previous seasons?

Just finished The Reader ~ Bernhard Schlink ....on deck, The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle ~ Huruki Murakami

The Reader hits hard and I think it will be a book that will stay with me for a long time. Its simply told and easy to read but the emotions it evokes are far from simple. On its surface, it appears emotionally flat, yet I found it surprisingly moving and very thought provoking. Definetely worth the read.

Edited by NovaLee

OK ....so this post isn't about a book at all, rather a movie. ;) Just watched Inglorious Basterds ~ "Set in German-occupied France, its the story of two plots to assassinate the Nazi political leadership, one planned by a young French Jewish cinema proprietress, the other by a team of American soldiers called the "Basterds"." (Wikipedia)

Classic Tarantino ~ :censored: violent, unrestrained and thoroughly entertaining. Dare I say, I may have enjoyed it even more than Pulp Fiction and I didn't think anything would ever top that. Brad Pitt is in top form, getting most of the best lines and generating a lot of the humor. I don't know if his high-profile off-screen image will prevent an Oscar nomination, but for me it will be remembered. Loved it! :eek2:

• 3 weeks later...

Finished The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle ~ Haruki Murakami last night ~ farily lengthy, often confusing, never boring. I'm looking forward to the discussion.

Now its on to Animal Farm ~ George Orwell. My youngest is reading this for school ...thought I would read it with him. :)

Edited by NovaLee

Finished Animal Farm by George Orwell. There is only one word ....Brilliant!

Now its finally on to my November book club's selection and since the meeting is next Thurs, I better get busy and READ. A Good Death ~ Gil Courtemanche

Synopsis ~

On Christmas Eve, a family has gathered for the obligatory dinner. The father, only yesterday an imposing figure who terrorized his children, has suddenly fallen prey to Parkinson

A book featuring Parkinson's Disease... interesting!

The only thing about the blurb that bugs me slightly is "Should we struggle to prolong his life, or help him to end it?" - I don't quite understand what it means by prolong because Parkinson's disease doesn't actually kill one - in fact there is a saying...

"You don't die of Parkinson's - you die with it".

I shall await your thoughts on this book with interest. :D

Edited by Janet

A book featuring Parkinson's Disease... interesting!

The only thing about the blurb that bugs me slightly is "Should we struggle to prolong his life, or help him to end it?" - I don't quite understand what it means by prolong because Parkinson's disease doesn't actually kill one - in fact there is a saying...

"You don't die of Parkinson's - you die with it".

I shall await your thoughts on this book with interest. :)

I'm not really sure what to make of it myself yet, Janet. To be honest ....if I were to judge the book by it's cover, I would never even of given it's boring grey cover a second glance. :D Hence, my reason for joining the book club in the first place....to expand my wee mind to other possibilities. :D I shall keep you posted. :lol: