In The News (Cont..)

Lilywhite

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for bringing up the subject James . Such a tragedy . It was a small town ,but they had all the safety measures in place . We recently had all new schools built in our town, and they have the exact safety precautions in place here .

The news people are still piecing things together ,so the story is changing continually,but they just announced the names of the kids. All the adults were female .The principal ( a lady) , heard all the commotion and charged the gunman in order to direct his attention to her so the kids could get out. He shot her several times .All the kids were first graders (age 6 & 7) .

The guy supposedly had some type of mental illness, but I'm not sure which one,they keep changing the story as to which one he had . He killed his mother at home, then went to the school and broke through the glass windows or doors (not sure which) and began shooting .

It is absolutely heartbreaking . Even President Obama cried at the press conference yesterday. It was SO hard to watch him,struggling to get through his speech without falling apart. He still has kids in school,so I think it hit him close to home .

They have all these experts trying to figure out how to prevent this. Gun control ? More safety measures in school ? Armed policemen in the schools ?

I keep hoping that out of all this tragedy ,we can learn ways to try to prevent it in the future .

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We've lost two of the greats in actor Richard Briers and animator Bob Godfrey recently, but luckily together they left behind a little piece of genius that those of us of a certain age will remember from our childhoods, Roobarb and Custard. Lovely to see it acknowledged by BBCs Newsnight with their own little tribute at the end of the show: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21555220 :smile2:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Ooh, what do you all think of potentially switching to polymer banknotes? Apparently the country is split on the decision, but I say it's a no-brainer. We've been using polymer notes for decades and they're so much better than paper. They last much, much longer and they're also prettier, I think (well, our banknotes are nice and colourful). Australia pioneered the technology (excuse the bragging) and we print most of the polymer banknotes used by other countries. This topic is somewhat close to me because I used to work in the banknote department in Australia's central bank (equivalent to the Bank of England).

I'm all for it, I think they look pretty great and if it makes counterfeiting harder that's even better. I also like the fact that the size is going to be brought into line with European standard sizes. I have a wallet that I bought during my travels and anything other than £5 note sticks out the top.