In The News (Cont..)

Lilywhite

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A BIT creepy? A BIT? :D

That actually read like a horror story,

with the woken in the night by a strange scratching sound.

:D

I'll be interested to read any further reports once they've carried out some tests to find out the what? and why? *shivery creeped out tingles down spine*

Has anyone seen this story:

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/863766/snake-born-with-hand-shocks-scientists

It is a bit creepy, and very wrong

Euwwwwww that's horrible! Scratching in the night........!!!!! It's like the Birthing House by Christopher Ransom.

The main character gets woken in the night by what he thinks are the dogs nails scratching the wooden floorboards. Needless to say it isn't!!

:D:D

Even though I have seen this news clip a few times now, I still find it totally shocking. I live in Brentwood and that is my local high street.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/essex/8255953.stm

It's always really weird when you see your local area on the news isn't it! :irked:

Congrats to the new Mum, the photo reminds me of a photo of my brother and my cousin, they were born a few months apart, my brother weighted 10 pounds, 2 ounces, he looked massive compared to my cousin :D

:friends0: I wish I had thought of it, the amount of times I sit in buses waiting for the driver :( Seriously, I can't believe she would just take the bus.

I would have too, I have no patience ;)

Tanvir the tiger is a 'scaredy cat' ~

Click here :)

Edited by Michelle
merged

Woman falls pregnant - while pregnant!

From Yahoo News (pasting the story because they keep removing things at a slightly later date):

A US woman has stunned doctors by achieving a rare medical marvel - falling pregnant while pregnant.

Julia Grovenburg and her husband Todd were shocked to learn she would be giving birth to two babies, but not twins.

The couple attended an ultrasound appointment believing Mrs Grovenburg was just over eight weeks pregnant.

But the scan showed two babies, separated by two-and-a-half weeks - with one clearly more developed than the other.

"[When] she said, 'and baby number two has got a healthy little heartbeat,' - I just started gagging," Mrs Grovenburg told broadcaster KFSM-TV in Arkansas.

"[We were] both in shock," her husband added.

He went on: "We were trying to put the timelines together and everything.

"We had known she had had a migraine and been at the hospital and actually had a pregnancy test at the time that one would've been conceived..."

His wife continued: "We feel blessed to have something so rare and as of this point they're perfectly healthy."

Doctors suspect an extraordinarily uncommon situation called superfetation, which means conceiving when already pregnant.

Patrick O'Brien, consulting obstetrician and spokesman for Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (RCOG), told Sky News Online only one case a year is reported worldwide.

"It's a rare thing because when you conceive, your hormones change dramatically," he said.

"Those changes stop you ovulating and they stop you conceiving."

Tests will be performed when the babies are born to ascertain what happened.

But Dr O'Brien added that the Grovenburg's may not ever know for sure, because in their case the tests could not rule out twins.

"It's hard to be certain sometimes because a woman could be having non-identical twins that are markedly different in size from early in a pregnancy," he said.

"If there's a big size difference between the twins, the first suspicion is that one is not developing as well."

Superfetation became a more accurate suspicion when the babies appeared to be more than two weeks apart, he added.

If the family's situation was not astonishing enough, the babies are officially due in different years - at the end of 2009 and start of 2010.

However, the pair - already named as Jillian and Hudson - were expected to be born together, either naturally or by caesarean section, in December.

What a bizarre twist!

"The panel's chairman Gareth Jones said she must successfully complete training in positive behaviour management before she is eligible to register as a teacher again."

Sorry, but I think she should NEVER be allowed to teach again! I couldn't possibly trust her with my own child after that, no matter how many courses and programmes she's completed!

Tragic:

A four-year-old boy has died after falling and bumping his head in a Somerfield supermarket.

Harry Blackmore was swinging on a small steel rail when he fell in the store in Liverpool.

His devastated mother was shopping just yards away when the tragedy happened.

Harry was taken to hospital but died at the end of a 10-day bedside vigil by his parents Suzanne Bond and Stephen Blackmore.

While he was critically ill, the youngster was visited by his hero Steven Gerrard, who left him a new football as a present.

The distraught parents, who have four daughters, are now suing the supermarket giant for negligence.

They told how Harry was knocked unconscious after banging his head on the floor of the store in Park Road, Toxteth.

Mr Blackmore, 39, said: "Now we're lost. We're completely empty. We just can't believe it."

Harry was a keen footballer and had been taken to join a local club so he would not have to play football in the street.

The family said they were "so protective" over their son who was growing into a "proper little boy".

Harry trained every Saturday at Woolton Football Club, where there will be a minute's silence at all games this weekend.

Family solicitor Rex Makin told Sky News the family was taking legal action against Somerfield.

He said: "This is a working class neighbourhood with lots of children. We say that parents should be able to go shopping with their children in a safe environment.

"We say that the railing should not have been there or should not have been in that state."

A Somerfield spokesman said: "We were deeply saddened by the death of Harry Blackmore."

I say the parents should have been keeping an eye on their child! It's a tragic accident, but I don't think the blame lies entirely with the supermarket in this case!

Calling all Harry Potter Twitterers! (Or should that be HP Twits!) ,

JK Rowling has signed up to Twitter - to counter the numerous fake accounts under her name.

The Harry Potter author has set up her own account but she warned she didn't plan many tweets.

She wrote in a tweet dated September 17: "I should flag up now that although I could twitter endlessly, I'm afraid you won't be hearing from me very often as pen and paper is my priority at the moment."

The account jk(underscore)rowling, was first reported by the fan site www.the-leaky-cauldron.org, then confirmed by Potter publisher Scholastic Inc.